• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if they go for something major, like a new superhero franchise anime-style.
krelyan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
No!!! This is exactly what the industry doesn't need. The only way for the industry to ever take off is for the Japanese to release stuff here themselves. This will only entrench these unnecessary middlemen more. So now fans will have to deal with waiting for licensing negotiations and expensive dubbing costs added on. WAKE UP JAPAN! The last thing we need is more shitty American adaptations.

Then perhaps some fans should start supporting what you enjoy. The only reason that these "shitty American adaptations" get made is because that's what sells as shows like Witchblade and Afro Samurai appeal to a larger, casual demographic. If you want a voice then be a part of economic cycle, not just raving like a lunatic on a forum.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope this works, but one of the major problems what caused the failure of the others was; whilst getting into bed with the Japanese is all well and good, one tends to find it is they who always want to be on top. Wink
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
The only way for the industry to ever take off is for the Japanese to release stuff here themselves.

It's funny you say that since it's been done before and they failed miserably (Toei, Bandai Visual & Kadokawa says hi). Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
kikiyo2 wrote:
The only way for the industry to ever take off is for the Japanese to release stuff here themselves.

It's funny you say that since it's been done before and they failed miserably (Toei, Bandai Visual & Kadokawa says hi). Rolling Eyes
No, they tried to release it like they do in Japan. That's where they failed.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is an attempt to offset licensing costs for future releases. If Funi ponies up money at the outset, wouldn't they have the right to air the programs in the US without fees? Also, the prospect of getting anime more in tune with broader American tastes bolster sales? I suppose it would depend on exactly how much money would have to go into a program to be considered a co-produced program.
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
In any case, the R1 companies aren't "middlemen". They localize anime to the U.S. market, which is essential for broad appeal. A Japanese publisher that tried to localize anime to the U.S. without having a subsidiary here, staffed by locals, would almost certainly fail to please the market.

You may say that it requires localization for anime to be popular, but the fact that fansubs (who don't dumb it down) are far more popular than localized DVDs says otherwise. Nobody said they'd get it right on the first try, but the Japanese would have eventually learned what pricing schemes work. The only way to get rid of fansubs all lies in the hands of the Japanese companies, which is why the American companies are unnecessary. The longer that they rely on this stupid licensing scam that the American companies have fooled the Japanese into buying into, the longer it will take for the industry to rectify its problems.

krelyan wrote:
Then perhaps some fans should start supporting what you enjoy. The only reason that these "shitty American adaptations" get made is because that's what sells as shows like Witchblade and Afro Samurai appeal to a larger, casual demographic. If you want a voice then be a part of economic cycle, not just raving like a lunatic on a forum.

I see no reason to support the American side of the industry when they refuse to give me what I want and then go out of their way to demonize fans. If they don't offer what I want, then I'm sure as hell not going to give them my cash. Take an economics class sometime.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
pparker wrote:
In any case, the R1 companies aren't "middlemen". They localize anime to the U.S. market, which is essential for broad appeal. A Japanese publisher that tried to localize anime to the U.S. without having a subsidiary here, staffed by locals, would almost certainly fail to please the market.

You may say that it requires localization for anime to be popular, but the fact that fansubs (who don't dumb it down) are far more popular than localized DVDs says otherwise. Nobody said they'd get it right on the first try, but the Japanese would have eventually learned what pricing schemes work. The only way to get rid of fansubs all lies in the hands of the Japanese companies, which is why the American companies are unnecessary. The longer that they rely on this stupid licensing scam that the American companies have fooled the Japanese into buying into, the longer it will take for the industry to rectify its problems.

krelyan wrote:

I see no reason to support the American side of the industry when they refuse to give me what I want and then go out of their way to demonize fans. If they don't offer what I want, then I'm sure as hell not going to give them my cash. Take an economics class sometime.

Ohoho the industry is so terrible, giving you solid DVD's with competent readable subtitles with an optional English dub and starting simulcast streaming. *sarcasm*
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
You may say that it requires localization for anime to be popular, but the fact that fansubs (who don't dumb it down) are far more popular than localized DVDs says otherwise.

You didn't just compare the numbers of free fansubs watched to the number of $20 DVDs, or $50 seasons purchased, did you? A comparison of sales of dubbed DVDs to subbed-only DVDs might be valid, economically speaking, but even then its not that clear-cut. A lot of fans want both on the same disc, the shows are different, etc. Bandai's forays into that with Gurren Lagann, for instance, don't appear to have worked all that well, though I don't think any outsiders know the numbers (I don't see others adopting that model). What may support your argument ultimately is the maturing of the digital generation who grew up on free subs. But it remains to be seen if they will ever actually pay for their anime in large enough numbers to make serving that segment profitable, or what percentage of them will remain fans in adulthood.

If what you want is imported R2 DVDs, with English subs on them (I assume you aren't interested in dubs), at a price that compares to R1 prices, I think you're going to be waiting a long time. Not only would it probably be prohibitively expensive for the Japanese to do it, they would make you wait months or years to avoid reverse importation. Economics class, indeed.

kikiyo2 wrote:
...this stupid licensing scam that the American companies have fooled the Japanese into buying into, the longer it will take for the industry to rectify its problems.

Okay, I don't work for an R1 anime company, but I think it's pretty obvious from years of industry comments that the Japanese have dictated the terms of licensing since day one, and only now are bending a bit to allow new distribution channels and likely better licensing deals because of the harsh economic climate and falling sales of DVDs in both Japan and the U.S.
rep21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I know they would haf to Fight Nintendo but making a Metroid Prime Anime would kick all kinds of asses.. I mean its has a Manga and a game for source material but Pleasing the Nintendo Community is nearly impossible we complain about everything (Even if its something we have been asking for) but Metroid Anime would kick the ass...

(Halo + Anime + games = Major SUCK!!)

Actually what i have seen of the Halo anime so far is actually pretty good, maybe you should actually watch something before talking out of your ass about it.

nadir-seen-fire wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
bayoab wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
If so, then for the love of all things sacred I hope they do something better than the crap-fest that was Afro Samurai....

That crap fest was something like the #2 selling DVD for the past 2 years. It made FUNi a ton of money.

I know, don't depress me about the lousy taste of the buying public. Wink That said, if producing one Afro Samurai gives them the finances to do three other, better series, then I suppose even crap has its place.

If there is one American title I want turned into an anime more than anything in the world, with the right directors and staff behind it, is the Sandman Chronicles. Satoshi Kon and Yuuasa Masaaki working on that would give me such bliss.

Afro Samurai was aired on Spike TV (Baywatch, CSI, Ren & Stimpy, Stripperella, Wrestling, etc...). Afro Samurai probably fit that North American adult male stereotype rather than anime fans. The high sales were probably a result of the series being bought my the mass majority of stereotypical males, but actually bought by relatively few actual anime fans.
Anime fans are a small subculture, compared to the mass majority that eats up MTV stuff and other North American programming that is usually criticized by the anime subculture. So it's not unexpected for something targeted towards our interests to sell quite well.

But second on that, if they can produce a few titles that anime fans will consider shit but will be eaten up by the typical person in today's society in order to generate revenue to produce more titles that the anime fans want, great plan.

Afro Samurai was actually based on a manga by Takashi Okazaki that came out years ago, and not an American property at all. I'm not sure why it would fit more with the so called "MTV viewer" rather than the average anime fan, i mean it had Music by The RZA in it. Most MTV fans today wouldn't even know who that is if you asked them. I'm willing to bet that most of the sales of Afro Samurai did in fact come from anime fans who maybe like myself are probably fans of the RZA, Samurai's and action in general.

While Afro Samurai is far from the best, it is also far from being a crap fest.( i think that term fits anime like K-ON more than AS to be honest) The fact that it wasn't as good as it could have been has more to do with the fact that they let Gonzo animate it instead of MADHOUSE. If this promo is any indication it would have been superior to the Gonzo version in every way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJ4vDlFAPA
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
Nobody said they'd get it right on the first try, but the Japanese would have eventually learned what pricing schemes work.

Not really. Bandai Visual was incredibly stubborn about pricing their releases Region 2 style after the Patlabor movies and Gunbuster underperformed.

kikiyo2 wrote:

The only way to get rid of fansubs all lies in the hands of the Japanese companies, which is why the American companies are unnecessary. The longer that they rely on this stupid licensing scam that the American companies have fooled the Japanese into buying into, the longer it will take for the industry to rectify its problems.

Really now? Do you really believe that? There is no 'scam', American anime distribution companies exist because the Japanese companies really don't give a damn about outside markets. If their shows get out there and make them a little extra money, then fine, but they've shown time and time again that they care very little about what we think and want.

kikiyo2 wrote:

I see no reason to support the American side of the industry when they refuse to give me what I want and then go out of their way to demonize fans.

If calling out people that download fansubs like they're gospel and don't pay a single dime for what they watch is 'demonizing' fans, than the anime industry doesn't need those so-called 'fans'.

Mohawk52 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
kikiyo2 wrote:

Actually, Kadokawa USA was going about things the right way. They licensed shows for release in North America, but gave the distribution and translation work to companies in the US that knew what they were doing. Their releases were high-quality yet affordable, complying with all the R1 standards at the time. The money just wasn't there, that's all. Frankly I would have loved to see them stick around.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
kikiyo2 wrote:

In addition to what Kouji said, Toei also didn't do it like Japan. They didn't follow either R2J or R1 DVD standards. To top it off, they didn't understand the basics of a US dvd release (except the pricing).
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
rep21 wrote:

Afro Samurai was actually based on a manga by Takashi Okazaki that came out years ago, and not an American property at all. I'm not sure why it would fit more with the so called "MTV viewer" rather than the average anime fan, i mean it had Music by The RZA in it. Most MTV fans today wouldn't even know who that is if you asked them. I'm willing to bet that most of the sales of Afro Samurai did in fact come from anime fans who maybe like myself are probably fans of the RZA, Samurai's and action in general.

While Afro Samurai is far from the best, it is also far from being a crap fest.( i think that term fits anime like K-ON more than AS to be honest) The fact that it wasn't as good as it could have been has more to do with the fact that they let Gonzo animate it instead of MADHOUSE. If this promo is any indication it would have been superior to the Gonzo version in every way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJ4vDlFAPA
Thank you rep21, finally an anime fan here like myself who isn't going along with the "trendy" lets bash Afro Samurai. To be honest I've thought AS was solidly animated by Gonzo, but MADHOUSE is by far my favorite anime studio and after seeing that promo I can only dream of what could have been.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Frankly, this fills me with dread. Have we ever seen any American anime company attempt to become original producers and it turned out well? Where are those companies today?

You're implying a causation that in fact does not exist. I really wouldn't say didn't turn out well. In fact, I'd say it turned out really freakin awesome

Madhouse was primary production for the first two, and as far as I know they're Japanese. The last was produced by a slew of firms, primarily Japanese ones. (I'd say correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure someone will. ;))

I'm just saying that as a businesswoman who's been watching this industry for a few years, it seems like American anime and manga companies turn to this when they reach a mid-life crisis of sorts ("We're doing well, we need to diversify! And by using original properties and making our own anime and manga we'll save tons of money! Not to mention foil the fansubbers!") Really, it happens in every industry and succeeds when it's done wisely, but in the anime industry it seems to have fail written all over it.

Perhaps that's because a lot of the time those in the US anime and manga industry have been fans who are not the best at business.

But hey, maybe Funimation has figured out the right way to do it and they'll succeed wildly. I certainly hope so. They're one of the last around and we need them.
care2care

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
I, for one, am incredibly excited about this. I think it's a good move on Funi's part, as well as Japanese anime studios. I'm pretty sure that the Japanese realize that they have a major fanbase in dozens of western countries and producing anime with a popular American anime distributor would help them enlarge that fanbase. (that's for the crazy self-hating American otakus out there).

I think Funi realized that profits on DVDs and Blue-rays are going down since the bad economy. (That and the major competition with fansubbers and free downloading) In my business course, my professor was talking about how Best Buy is going to stop selling DVDs and CDs since too many people download illegally or just buy their media online nowadays and that they can't afford to have them anymore. Apparently they're going to be replaced with storage and hardware/software. I was horrified by this since its near my home and that's where I mostly get my anime.

Another thing I'm excited about is what they'll co-produce. As someone mentioned before, I don't think uber-popular comics like Batman, Iron man, etc would be their source for the next anime due to copyright issues and licensing. I was thinking more along the lines of OEL manga when I read the article. Despite the heavy backlash by Japanophiles everywhere, OEL manga is actually pretty good and I think it would sit well with even the non-anime fans in the US/Canada. It's practically a win-win situation on everyside: Funimation's, Japanese studios', OEL manga artists'. (I'm personally hoping they'll animate Kasumi. Its been my favorite OEL manga ever since I picked it up....I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11