• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tears To Tiara Sub.DVD part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, the anime is based on the PS3 version and save a few quirks it follows it pretty closely.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
From the review:
Quote:
The biggest departure is actually in the elf designs, which eschew the traditional anime long-pointed-ear look in favor of appearances virtually indistinguishable from human; in fact, what separates elves from humans in this setting, aside from an apparent propensity for magic use, is not clear from these episodes.

They may have done their homework in regard to the appearance of the elves. In works like The Mabinogion (ancient Welsh folklore) and also the ancient Irish folklore, Elves typically didn't look much different than Men; they certainly didn't have pointy ears.

Since the Elves in this series are apparently supposed to be derived from old northern European versions, I'd say that they were done properly.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I put this series on hold after about a couple of episodes or so just because there was way too much stuff on my plate at the time, but it's good to hear that things seem to move in a more interesting if still predictable direction. If the rest of it works out, might as well check it out again whenever I'm in need of a serviceable fantasy / RPG-based series.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
From the review:

Since the Elves in this series are apparently supposed to be derived from old northern European versions, I'd say that they were done properly.

As far as I know a better translation of the term would be "Fairies" and not "Elves", at least how I see it, considering the term used (yousei).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
As far as I know a better translation of the term would be "Fairies" and not "Elves", at least how I see it, considering the term used (yousei).

I'm assuming that "yousei" is from the Japanese and that's what you're taking the translation from. But that's not where I was going with what I was saying earlier. What I meant is that the guys who made the anime seem to have researched a lot of Celtic folklore (Arawn come from Welsh folklore) and that them making the Tuatha de Danan, or aes sidhe, or whatever look more or less exactly like regular mortals is correct.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'm assuming that "yousei" is from the Japanese and that's what you're taking the translation from. But that's not where I was going with what I was saying earlier. What I meant is that the guys who made the anime seem to have researched a lot of Celtic folklore

I'm always wary of giving such credit, givien what usually this "research" is in this kind of products. So I'm not going to say they did all of this by purpose.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
After reading this positive review, and seeing other people chiming in with the favourable comments towards Tears to Tiara, I think it might be officially added to my 'buy' list. Thanks, guys Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Emerje wrote:
BTW, about the whole thing about difference between maids and humans...

That was a funny mistake to make.

Anime smile + sweatdrop OK, I was clearly tired when I wrote that. The first time through I accidentally wrote "maids and maids" and still didn't catch on... Though I think maybe Japan does consider maid a race.

ximpalullaorg wrote:

One, maybe two, of the fansub groups did use the word "fairy" over "elf". I think elf fits the English translation and Western style names better than fairy does since fairy brings to mind tiny creatures with bug wings.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

One, maybe two, of the fansub groups did use the word "fairy" over "elf". I think elf fits the English translation and Western style names better than fairy does since fairy brings to mind tiny creatures with bug wings.

I disagree, since the term used in the game (and the anime) doesn't really refer to "elf" for meaning.
Anyway, I personally don't recommend 100% the series, since the ending is a terrible mess, due to the fact that they strayed away from the original material.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Also, we don't get an actual story for the girl in the OP (or the old man for that matter) until towards the end of the series, but it's worth the wait, it's a great part of the story.

Yes. It's good in the beginning, but quite uninteresting halfway through. But it does get much better by the end of it. I just wish they could have told the story of the old man and the little girl much, much earlier. I mean, they were the first to appear in the opening, and yet they delayed it so much. But once you see and know their background you'll enjoy this anime more than you did during the first/middle episodes.

ximpalullaorg wrote:
Anyway, I personally don't recommend 100% the series, since the ending is a terrible mess, due to the fact that they strayed away from the original material.

Oh, but for us, who don't know the original material, it was just as original as it could get.

But, because of the harem element, I'd pick Guin Saga over this title after a little struggle.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Oh, but for us, who don't know the original material, it was just as original as it could get.

I could go into great detail while the last three episode are a terrible mess even on their own, but this is not the place to do this.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I could go into great detail while the last three episode are a terrible mess even on their own, but this is not the place to do this.

Yes, wait until the review of the second half comes around. (Which I will be doing unless one of my compatriots picks it up first.)

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as the first half of this 26-episode series is coming out on American DVD less than two months after the series finished airing on Japanese TV.

I was about to say... Didn't this just come out? Two months is freakin' incredible for a US company to pump out a 12 episode set, and it actually provides a great alternative to streaming (which I personally despise).
Sure, some of us will miss the dubs, but sacrifices have to be made for speed unheard of on this side of the shore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2