• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I meant "otaku-pandering" in the "only girls drive tanks" thing. There's basically no reason why one gender drives tanks. Wuy do girms on drive tanks? They don't explain why. It just is, solely so theh can gen those pesky men out.

And if this was a Fujoshi series where only guys drive tanks and there's no sensible reason given why, I would find it just as odd.

(though I would totally watch a Boys Und Panzer. Especiay if the yaoi overtones dial was cranked up to 11)

Why are tanks a boy thing in our world? Why is that less absurd than them being a girl thing in that world? The point is that by reversing it, you demonstrate how silly so much of our gendering is.

There is, in fact, a (more or less) plausible in-universe explanation, if you feel like digging through supplementary material (or the manga), but its one of those things that really isn't particularly important one way or another.

Why Sensha-do is a girls activity is mostly meaningless, the important part is why these specific girls are doing it, which is covered, very explicitly, in the very first goddamn episode.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why are tanks a boy thing in our world? Why is that less absurd than them being a girl thing in that world? The point is that by reversing it, you demonstrate how silly so much of our gendering is.

I think you're projecting quite a bit of depth to the writing that isn't actually there

Quote:
Why Sensha-do is a girls activity is mostly meaningless, the important part is why these specific girls are doing it, which is covered, very explicitly, in the very first goddamn episode.

Yeeeeah, it's because driving tanks (somehow) makes you a good wife, because God knows that all women should be educated only in the purposes of ending up barefoot, pregnant, and chained to the kitchen counter.

Ugh, this show is ridiculous.[/quote]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I think you're projecting quite a bit of depth to the writing that isn't actually there

To an extent, it doesn't actually matter if its intentional or not.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen, how does wielding the naginata make one a good wife? I provided you ample source material on the topic and you didn't even address it?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
im almost certain the "making you a good wife" thing was pure bullshit that the student council came up with in order to get more people interested. Hana's mom certainly discredits that notion
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
im almost certain the "making you a good wife" thing was pure bullshit that the student council came up with in order to get more people interested. Hana's mom certainly discredits that notion

Not to mention that that film was obviously a propoganda piece in the same vein as WWII propoganda films (Garupan, like Strike Witches, riffs heavily on WWII tropes), and was not meant to be taken seriously by us, the audience.

The characters have a broad range of personalities, from girly-girls like Hana to "tomboys" like Yukari. Not to mention the history club girls (SOUL NAMES), the first years, the volleyball team...everyone has their own motivations, and the only one who's boils down to "getting a man" is Saori...and Saori seemed just a bit too Jelly at Kay hugging Miho for me to think that she's not protesting a bit too much...
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Let's put it another way, if the show was about only boys fighting in tanks, but still kept all the other aspects, would you still watch it? Or would it devolve into the usual cries of fujoshi pandering?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Let's put it another way, if the show was about only boys fighting in tanks, but still kept all the other aspects, would you still watch it? Or would it devolve into the usual cries of fujoshi pandering?

Depends on the character design.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

That would depend, honestly.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I was able to watch Cross Game, Major, Hikaru no Go, and plenty of other sports shows despite them having a male-dominant cast. If the competitive aspect were as fun as it currently is then sure I'd watch it.

EDIT: But judging by how this thread went, it's pretty plain to see that Aria the Scarlet Ammo was not the pick of the litter for the spring 2011 season (not when Yondemasu yo Azazel-san remains unlicensed!)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
So basically you're just upset about anime being anime? The point of the medium is that it is able to make things that aren't realistic and aren't as doable in live action mediums. If you want everything to be super realistic, watch live action shows.

And to bring everything full circle, this is why I'm ok with Aria The Scarlet Ammo and not the Matrix sequels.

Well, some people still couldn't get over sparkly vampires. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
I suppose cute girls driving cute tanks can be dismissed as "otaku pandering," but to me what justifies the conceit is that it is funnier than if boys were driving tanks. The whole point is to juxtapose feminine traits with something that is hyper-masculine. That's the gag. And Girls und Panzer is a comedy, so... It's just like if you were doing a comedy, it would be funnier if a bunch of muscle-head jocks had to do ballet as opposed to a bunch of girls. This is comedy 101, folks.

It's also worth noting that GuP, so far, has not used its premise for fanservice purposes. Hasn't been a pantsu in sight yet.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
We've been off-topic on the GnP discussion for close to half of this thread, so I'm putting an end to it. Nothing more about GnP unless it's directly relevant to discussing this series and/or the review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
We've been off-topic on the GnP discussion for close to half of this thread, so I'm putting an end to it. Nothing more about GnP unless it's directly relevant to discussing this series and/or the review.

Thank you!
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a LOT of anime in my life, and enjoyed most of it, even the less than shall we say quality ones, and while I love getting high quality stories/animes more I can watch something fairly mindless, fairly badly written/constructed/peopled and still get some satisfaction from it. This anime though, I have still to finish, I can't bring myself to get around to watching the last few episodes. For all the reasons listed by others already I have to say but for me it comes down to most the characters being too flat/uninteresting/lifeless (which is how they are for me, as someone already noted this is not only like fanfic but bad, nay incredibly, nay horrifically bad fanfic, and I grew up in the SF/F world of cons from the late 70s onwards so I've seen a lot of that from even before the internet age made it so widely available) to simply care enough to continue with.

I can see how some might enjoy this, but I am not one of them, I am forced to agree with the vast majority opinion in this thread and of the reviewer whose review launched it. This anime clearly could have been so much more given the basic building material it had to work with and that it fails so severely is partly why I at least find it so difficult to finish. It is one thing when I get bad premises and such from the outset not working, it is another when I get concepts that could be interesting turned into the tripe and worse than tripe that Aria offers in world, in people, and in general. This is a really painful anime and IMHO one that would cause any non-anime person to see it to be turned off anime forever. Yes, I know I'm being a bit harsh, but I think this anime warrants it, it really frustrated me and I have a fairly high frustration level when it comes to anime, to irk me this much takes doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7