• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime for Underdeveloped Nations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:
What do you mean by water guns and lollypops? Don't tell me there was digital censorship a-la Misato digital bikini in Eva on CN?

Oh, it's FAR worse! Laughing

No-fuckin-way. There is no way... *head explodes*

People who bitch about Toonami and AS, put that in your pipe and smoke it. The bikini? Great idea, allows shows with nudie boobs in it to see the light of day. This... This is...French4
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Okay South America, here's the plan... since you obviously still have too much money, everyone down there should send me $30 by mail. After that, I'm sure you'll get anime, it's win-win!

=)
Prinze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
if you are talking about the middle east, and specially the gulf area, I assure you that there are lots of japanese anime fans in there and the project is gonna be successful

those oil countries have a lot to spend and the anime market there isn't that big and still developing.. I'm working at the moment to open my own company but unfortunately still lack the experience

I need a guide or something, I can get my own studio and the crew, but I need some information on how to acquire the rights and how much would it cost..etc

any information regarding this would be helpful and would be highly appreciated it. thank you
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if you are talking about the middle east, and specially the gulf area, I assure you that there are lots of japanese anime fans in there and the project is gonna be successful

those oil countries have a lot to spend and the anime market there isn't that big and still developing.. I'm working at the moment to open my own company but unfortunately still lack the experience

I need a guide or something, I can get my own studio and the crew, but I need some information on how to acquire the rights and how much would it cost..etc

any information regarding this would be helpful and would be highly appreciated it. thank you

Very cool, but I think this might be the wrong place to ask for help...perhaps you should talk to "professionals"?

This is a good idea. I think it was PM Koizumi who said that anime/manga was the savior of Japanese culture and could be used for diplomacy...It sure works; I know tons of friends (mostly Chinese) who got over their preexisting grudges over Japan and are now in love with the place because of manga/anime.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
What do you mean by water guns and lollypops? Don't tell me there was digital censorship a-la Misato digital bikini in Eva on CN?

When was Eva ever on Cartoon Network?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
When was Eva ever on Cartoon Network?

A couple days during Toonami's Giant Robot Week special presentation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
kenshin77 wrote:
My point is this, If America is going to swing around its culture around the world, why not have some variety, and let Japan sell its culture by promoting Anime.

OH, and American Companies are very powerful in promoting their shows on Foreign networks around the world, Animation studios can't always have people promote their shows in many countries it can get very expensive for them, So I think thats why they divert the marketing to the Japanese government.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was something that was an unforgivable outrage or similar. They're free to do what they want. I *am* amused that the Japanese government is doing this. I seem to recall that anime/manga is becoming a major export for Japan. Maybe they're lobbying like the US gov't worked for the US automakers trying to get their cars in the country...
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
"People could become interested in a wider range of Japanese culture after first being introduced to it through anime.''

...Wow, that's so true it's not even funny. With all the otaku "Oh-Em-Gee I love everything Japanese it's so KAWAII!" Heck, even some of them Chinese and South Koreans (I'm Chinese) whose parents have grudges against the Japanese (for WW2 stuff) are all Japanophilic.

(I had one friend who's dad's friend was trying to raise money for some kinda anti-Japan program or war or something...but the dad wouldn't pay it because it'd upset his daughter too much...^^)

TV=diplomacy...hey, it worked for those crazy Koreans and their dramas.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:

Oh, it's FAR worse! Laughing

Y'know, the location of the Fox Box logo is more disturbing than the obvious photoshopping of the dildo-hammer-gun.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
speaking of popularity of US TV shows in foreign countries....

how come Japanese have boxsets for Alley McBeal but US doesn't??!?!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ganryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
v1cious wrote:
that's right, cause i'm sure kids in poverty stricken countries are more worried about where they'll get their next Inuyasha fix.

We're not talking Ethiopia kind of poor here.

We're talking about countries where people have food, electricity, running water and television, but not enough finances to warrant licensing of expensive foreign TV series.

-t

Sounds like Sweden. No one can afford anime because it's like 30 usd per dvd...
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, i live in Latin America, and i belive that idea can work pretty well in countries like mine.

I don't for sure how anime works in the american television, but i have heard that you are lucky enough to get good series like Full Metal Alchemist about a year after they were broadcasted in Japan.

Here, our lame local tv channels still broadcast Ranma 1/2 and Dragon Ball. Belive me, i love Ranma 1/2, but after 10 ten times, even i can get tired of Ran-chan and company...

For the lucky people that can afford cable tv, with Cartoon Network and Jetix, the variety of anime is a little be better, but not as good as it is in the US and Canada. Let me put an example> about 2 years ago Cartoon Network premiered Dragon Ball Z as something new... when even the local tv channels showed it about 3 times before.

The anime fandom in Costa Rica depend on Fansubs... we know that keep and distribute fansubs is ilegal, but our country doesn't have any oficial company that licences anime, so nobody complains about it.

Yeah, Costa Rica is the paradise of ilegal bootlegs of anime and video games, and the goverment doesn't care about it. But perhaps if Japan put some efford, that can change soon...
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ganryu wrote:
Sounds like Sweden. No one can afford anime because it's like 30 usd per dvd...

And Hungary. And many other countries around the world. (This is why I always say that yes, anime is popular in the US, but that doesn't mean fansubs are not needed anymore.)
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Okay South America, here's the plan... since you obviously still have too much money, everyone down there should send me $30 by mail. After that, I'm sure you'll get anime, it's win-win!

=)
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2