• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Gets 15 Years in Anime, Twilight Cross-Country Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm having like...serious deja-vu here. Didn't a similar thing happen not that long ago, with the mom saying the same thing in response? Either that, or I'm predicting the future, because I all but swear I've read about this thing before - only minus the Twilight.

You are not the only one having some serious deja vu as well. well I wont be doing what he did at all otherwise I cant call myself a true otaku.

otakus dont do that crap. what it really means to be one is to pass on the real joy of being an anime otaku to the next generation. NOT destroy it's meaning or use it for perverness.

I just hope this does not ruin the industry's reputation to parental advocates after the conterversy of the 90's, especially since lawmakers are hell bent on banning some content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
15 years seems like a bit much imo. I know he broke the law, but you'll never convince me that there was any trickery on his part.

I have a sister who is 13 and I can say that unless she was mentally challenged, you're not going to be able to trick a 14 year old into going on some epic six week Twilight/Anime-con spree. I think both parties knew exactly what they were getting into. The guy wanted to have sex with a minor and the minor thought she could use the lure of sex to go on a six week, all-expenses paid anime/Twilight trip.

15 years seems like overkill considering that. It's not like this guy is hanging out at grocery stores waiting to come across a toddler that got lost and is luring them into his van with candy. In a year this girl would be legally able to own and drive a car in the state I live in. She'd be able to legally have a job. The jump from a girl being mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes from that, but stupid enough to get "lured" into a six week vacation with some guy she met on the internet... something isn't adding up imo.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Slightly related: whatever happened to that guy with the Hiei avatar who used to show up in these threads claiming that we had it wrong and this was really about abusive parents lying to the police to get their daughter back? We kept pressing him for proof, but he never gave any. Was he just talking out of his ass after all?

I don't know if she was being abused at home.

However, there is no doubt the girl went willingly. And there's no doubt that the photo her parents supplied to police was laughably out of date. It showed her as a sweet girl of twelve-ish with brown hair. Not only was the girl actually fourteen years of age by now, but she had dyed her hair black before she even ran away, and had basically become a goth or something. Black lipstick and black clothes plus a few piercings and heavy makeup around the eyes, if I remember correctly. A little darl she wasn't.

So the parents obviously tried to keep up the pretence that she was a good girl who had been kidnapped by Big Nasty Criminal, even though by supplying such an outdated photo to police they made it harder to find her. They both stole the money from his ex-boss, and they both stole a van I believe. Though she absolutely needed to be taken away from him, she was his willing partner in crime.

But I think the real lesson that should be learnt here is that if you ever decide to go on the run, for god's sakes do it in a properly registered and licensed car with a current WOF, and make sure you obey the road rules. So many criminals go back to jail because they ran a red light or were speeding or because their car's lights weren't working properly. Jeez, so simple to do, and yet they stuff it up or get lazy. There is a saying/mantra that generally goes "if you get caught, its only because you were stupid, lazy or both. It doesn't matter if there was seemingly nothing you could have done better, because there's ALWAYS something you can do better".

Oh, and fifteen years is too much. There are baby murderers who get less.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I have a sister who is 13 and I can say that unless she was mentally challenged, you're not going to be able to trick a 14 year old into going on some epic six week Twilight/Anime-con spree. I think both parties knew exactly what they were getting into. The guy wanted to have sex with a minor and the minor thought she could use the lure of sex to go on a six week, all-expenses paid anime/Twilight trip.

15 years seems like overkill considering that. It's not like this guy is hanging out at grocery stores waiting to come across a toddler that got lost and is luring them into his van with candy. In a year this girl would be legally able to own and drive a car in the state I live in. She'd be able to legally have a job. The jump from a girl being mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes from that, but stupid enough to get "lured" into a six week vacation with some guy she met on the internet... something isn't adding up imo.

While I'm inclined to agree with you on the fact that both parties knew what the others motives were, it doesn't excuse the man. Even if the girl should be old enough to exercise some common sense, she's still a minor that deserves to be protected by the law and the adult should be adequately punished.

ALSO
For those who feel the sentence was too harsh because worse crimes have resulted in shorter sentences... Perhaps it's that those other sentences aren't long enough, not that this one was too much? Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
RebirthedDuelist wrote:
Disgusting, using anime to lure minors, and bringing a bad name to all of the people who like anime.

It's no different than the old "would you like some candy, little boy/girl?" meme that we all grew up with as a lesson to not trust strangers.

It's called social engineering and in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, you'd be amazed as what you can get some people to do... often willingly.

Sounds like there's more to the story here, but the guy had to know that regardless of what happened, he was going to be in huge legal trouble for this.

The girl is just damn stupid, and lucky (to be alive... this could have ended much differently, and usually does).
SpacePope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
ALSO
For those who feel the sentence was too harsh because worse crimes have resulted in shorter sentences... Perhaps it's that those other sentences aren't long enough, not that this one was too much? Just a thought.

Um, no. Just no. Can we please get rid of excessive prison sentences in this country? We're #1 in the number of people in prison, both per capita and as an absolute number. That's a shameful thing to be #1 in.

pparker wrote:
SpacePope wrote:
I've just always disliked that expression because few people know what "the time" is in the first place, and it's oftentimes applied to petty crimes with heavy punishments or activities that shouldn't be crimes in the first place, and it's such a cop-out expression used to stifle dissent that...

Yes, I could argue specifics, but the bottom line is that is not a cop-out. Every individual is fully responsible for the decisions they make, period. Under the current system, or whatever system of justice one is subject to, we may treat them unfairly as a society, but being a part of that society means that one follows the law or suffers the consequences, or moves to another jurisdiction. The solution is to change the law and the way justice is administered, and to focus on prevention instead of just tossing people into boxes...

This is EXACTLY what drives me crazy about arguing about the criminal justice system on the Internet. How do people get away with saying "they're responsible - throw them in jail for a long time" and also saying, "but the law we're throwing them in jail on for a long time is dumb and should be changed".

fai[iawrh[0qwhgfiwhjtrf0wjgfi[0whjs[0aw!!!!! What the hell?!!! This is crazy! Why, why, WHY do people always say this?! You either agree with the law and/or penalty or you don't, and if you don't, then you don't say, "I think people should suffer the penalty under a law and/or penalty that I disagree with." That's absurd! I'd rip my hair out, but I'm bald already. Christ.

EDIT: That's it, I'm assuming there's a big conspiracy on the Internet for people just to f*ck with me because they know it's one of my buttons.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
SpacePope wrote:
I'm assuming there's a big conspiracy on the Internet for people just to f*ck with me because they know it's one of my buttons.

Yes, it is a conspiracy. I'm too tired too think up the words that fit NHK, but yes... Wink.

There is no inconsistency in saying that a person who commits a crime should expect to pay whatever price the law dishes out, and at the same time to disagree with the system as administered. I mean, can I list the things our legislatures decide that I disagee with, but have to live with, because unethical, idiot politicians keep buying each other's votes with millions in pork?

I use my vote and other means to communicate my dissatisfaction with the system. But I also know if I commit a crime that I must, being subject to those laws, be willing to suffer the consequences if I am caught. It doesn't fly to knowingly commit a serious, premeditated crime by running across state lines with a minor for six weeks, and then afterwards complain that the punishment is too harsh.
mow123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm having like...serious deja-vu here. Didn't a similar thing happen not that long ago, with the mom saying the same thing in response? Either that, or I'm predicting the future, because I all but swear I've read about this thing before - only minus the Twilight.

If I remember correctly, another adult lured a minor to a convention in Austin. One of my friends in his late 30's decided that it may not be a good idea to go that same convention by himself especially when most people at the con were on the outlook for people in the age range. It's a shame that news like this can cause collateral damage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2