• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sugar and Spice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I honestly don't see what was so boring about this show. All I heard before I watched it was how "boring" it was and how it was all just "discussion about economics" ... well, I'll admit I was pleasantly shocked when the show was romantic, exciting, and compelling. Holo spoiler[turns into a giant wolf and kills people! On more than one occasion!!] I mean, seriously ... was I watching the same show as everyone else? At the end of every episode I just wanted to watch more!

The economy/merchant stuff seemed very minor to me - except as a plot device for drama. And I thought it was really simple and interesting, and I *hate* math/economics. And Holo herself is just so charming I could watch her emotions and dialogue fluctuate for quite awhile without getting bored.

I was pretty bored for a good deal of the first part, because I really didn't care all that much about medieval economic trade. It takes a while to get into, but its the character relationships and interaction that really pulls you into Spice and Wolf. On paper, it's dull as dishwater. But when the characters come alive, that's when I was glad I watched it. I hope FUNi gets S2 soon.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, an Uncle Morty's Dub Shack reference! And here I thought nobody ever watched our shitty cable network!

Poaching and archiving the first season of that show is one of the best things I did upon leaving iaTV. (I didn't bother with the second season, which fell apart badly when Trevor left to do Whitest Kids. The rest of the company followed suit not long after.)
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing no one wants to discuss how cool this guys collection is and wants to debate Spice and Wolf tsundere, right? As much as I want a collection that big, I don't see myself getting married in my future if it gets like that.

I blame Imaginasian for not being on comcast.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
And again, the writing of ANN becomes suspect and questionable on as to how they can cover subjects they know seemingly little about.

Really, just stop writing about Spice and Wolf if you can't bother to learn what a tsundere is, or for that matter a furry.

Little tip for any of your other hack writers that want to give it a shot: Neither one of those words describe Spice and Wolf. Going to call it a shonen action show next? Would make as much sense.

Because then we wouldn't have a big crowd of condescending whiners leaping into the forum to tell us how we "don't get it" because we're not using whatever otaku buzzwords you personally feel best describe the show.

In not a single one of the threads about Spice and Wolf has there been anything resembling a consensus on what the "right" way to describe the show is. There are hardcore fans who seem to reject any description that isn't exactly their own - meaning if someone else's take on the show has even a slight deviation from theirs, that writer or forums user is a stupid hack who "doesn't get it". Notably most of these fans don't even seem to agree with eachother; some call Holo tsundere, some don't, some have some nebulous unspoken "perfect" description of the show or the character or both that they never seem to articulate, rather alluding to it without directly revealing it so they can condescendingly reject any other description.

What I see in your post is not reasoned or even constructive criticism of Erin's review, I see predictable, condescending nitpicky whining that does exactly what I just described; you call everyone else an idiot, suggest you have some deeper infallible understanding of this show that you then do not share, and then continue insulting the writer. Which is pretty much just useless bullshit posturing, which is what we're seeing in every thread about Spice and Wolf.

If there were some agreement - some obvious, agreed-upon definition that fans can generally accept for this show that our writers aren't properly contexualizing when they write about Spice and Wolf, I'd be a lot more inclined to agree with that and suggest that our writers take it into consideration. But you fanboys can't even agree with eachother what this show "is" or what Holo "is" or what otaku vocabulary word-of-the-moment is the "best way" to describe her, so screw it, my writers' completely subjective and reasonable description of the show is just as valid as whatever subjective description you think is "best".
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I honestly would not be so quick to write Holo off as a Tsundere. Now I'm not some crazy fan boy but this little topic interests me a bit.

To my knowledge Tsundere characters are characters who are mean and rough at first but are then revealed to have feelings for the main character. Now if I'm wrong feel free to correct me because what I'm about to say is based on this idea.

Holo right off the start of the show seems to like Lawrence quite a bit. She has a odd way of showing it at times but acts nice and kind to him as early as the 2nd episode. This isn't typical of a character that could be labeled as Tsundere.

Holo never actually acts bitchy or mean. she's just very proud and proud people(even in real life) often come of a snooty asses. However she very rarely ever acts TRULY mean towards Lawrence at all.

That's my view on it but I'm not gonna go into a hardcore fanboy tizzy about it.

Last edited by Reibooi on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn it got heated in this tread really early this week. Anyways the person has a damn library of anime in their frecking house. And props for not removing Steel Angel Kurumi from the pictures, that show has always been my guilty pleasure.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting thing for me was how different the impression the Shelf Life review of Spice and Wolf is from the stand-alone season box review also written recently. I haven't seen the show myself, so my info is basically gleaned from the reviews. When I read the stand-alone box review on ANN, it made it sound like a series I really wanted to watch. When I read this review, it sounded like a series that pandered a lot (which was what my original impression of the series was, and why I'd never been interested in seeing it until recently). Now I'm even more curious to finally watch it and see how it actually fares.

Last edited by ittoujuu on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Alec if I meet you in public I will have to bow to you like Wayne Campbell in Wayne's World and say "I am not worthy" That has to be the single finest collection I have ever seen. Truly a master's collection at it's best.

Anyways another good column, Spice and Wolf is on my buy list but I am not jumping at the bit to get it right now, I might a few more months before I end up getting it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Because then we wouldn't have a big crowd of condescending whiners leaping into the forum to tell us how we "don't get it" because we're not using whatever otaku buzzwords you personally feel best describe the show.

In not a single one of the threads about Spice and Wolf has there been anything resembling a consensus on what the "right" way to describe the show is. There are hardcore fans who seem to reject any description that isn't exactly their own - meaning if someone else's take on the show has even a slight deviation from theirs, that writer or forums user is a stupid hack who "doesn't get it". Notably most of these fans don't even seem to agree with eachother; some call Holo tsundere, some don't, some have some nebulous unspoken "perfect" description of the show or the character or both that they never seem to articulate, rather alluding to it without directly revealing it so they can condescendingly reject any other description.

What I see in your post is not reasoned or even constructive criticism of Erin's review, I see predictable, condescending nitpicky whining that does exactly what I just described; you call everyone else an idiot, suggest you have some deeper infallible understanding of this show that you then do not share, and then continue insulting the writer. Which is pretty much just useless bullshit posturing, which is what we're seeing in every thread about Spice and Wolf.

If there were some agreement - some obvious, agreed-upon definition that fans can generally accept for this show that our writers aren't properly contexualizing when they write about Spice and Wolf, I'd be a lot more inclined to agree with that and suggest that our writers take it into consideration. But you fanboys can't even agree with eachother what this show "is" or what Holo "is" or what otaku vocabulary word-of-the-moment is the "best way" to describe her, so screw it, my writers' completely subjective and reasonable description of the show is just as valid as whatever subjective description you think is "best".

Then why bother using such descriptive words when you agree that no one can come to a consensus on their meaning? If you see time and time again key words (like furrry or tsudere) spark such debate, then why not refrain from using them?

I don't particularly care if someone dislikes Spice and Wolf. It is clearly not for everyone. But to continue to use such debated words, when you know perfectly well what they will do (as evidenced by your original post in this thread) just doesn't make any sense. Unless you want this constant debate.

Is it so hard to just flat out describe a characters personality or characteristics, if that mere act will immediately disarm anyone who wants to argue semantics on know 'hot' words?

Also, I will concede that Brina Palencia's rendition of the character, after having heard it for the entire season's run, is definitely more haughty/bitch like than the only version I was familiar with (Ami Koshimizu's). So, I can imagine how someone might view her take on the character as approximating tsundere. Of course it would be nice if writers were a little more thorough and at least sampled an episode with the original voice actors work so they could notice the differences in approach.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Here let me sum up the next few pages preemptively

YOU IDIOT HOLO IS NOT TSUNDERE

YEAH SHE PRETTY MUCH IS

NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

YEAH I DO SHE PRETTY MUCH IS

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There now we don't need to go through all that again right? Right??

I really hope we are. If people start fighting over this again, it will get old real fast. Just remember guys everytime you fight over this a tsundere will die somewhere Wink . And you wouldn't want that woulda yah?

Anyway great reviews this week! Spice and Wolf looks to be a really odd title. Cute fox girl, with laid back guy, go on a journey and trade crap, and talk about tradeing said crap. Add some romance and a little supernatural surprise and there you go. Still I want to see it. The first episode (that I saw on VOD) got me interested. It seems like a slower paced kinda show, and I do like those some times. And then you have the focus on the characters, rather then an overall actiony kinda plot, and that always manages to get me. I imagine this is the type of show where the characters play off each other very well. I could see the beginings of that in the first episode at least. Also I like series based in fantasy-like settings, but aren't too much about the fantasy stuff. Economics also interests me a bit. So this seems right up my alley. It's a different type of show, that's for sure. And I'm all for different sometimes. I'm not dieing to see it or anything, but I'll be sure to buy it on DVD one of these days.

I have just one question. What is Settlers of Catan?

Also that collection is mind blowing. I can't believe someone owns all that. How does someone have that much money? That's crazy. it's like a museum. But I am envious.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I am just...blown away by that collection. The size doesn't really impress me, a lot of people have large collections, but the fact that you bought several copies of the same box just to make those beautiful mosaics really has my jaw dropping; Gunslinger Girls and Tenjho Tenge really stand out to me. When I am able to have space for shelves like that, I will absolutely remember to do that. I've never seen that and it is truly an ingenious idea.

Wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Karisu, my god do you know how ridiculous you sound? You're debating whether a fictional furry girl is a tsunami or tsundere or whatever you call it. Who gives a damn what her characteristics are. It's not like she's that great of a character to begin with.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan

Dayum. that is one heck of a collection o_O;.

*bamf's all potential comment on horo because 2nd season is clouding my judgement X3;.*
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Karisu, my god do you know how ridiculous you sound? You're debating whether a fictional furry girl is a tsunami or tsundere or whatever you call it. Who gives a damn what her characteristics are. It's not like she's that great of a character to begin with.

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of what I sound like. Different subjects trigger different things with people, what do you want me to tell you? I don't think I'm being as ridiculous as you make it sound. I'm stating my opinion as any other person would.

I find it ridiculous that you even feel the need to respond to me if that's all you have to say. See? Everyone does "ridiculous" things for different reasons.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
That is an impressive collection, but I also think it's a bit much. I could never have a collection that big, nor do I want a collection that big. I like anime but not all anime. I also do not have the time or money. Again, that is impressive that you have such a large collection, but to the rest of you who might be feeling envious, don't feel bad. Stick to the anime you know you love, it will be less stressful, you will have more time and money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11