• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - From the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Heh, I had a good laugh about the pink/blue zits. I understand it's a lighting thing, but I never understood some the hues they'd come up for with those.

Japanese RPGs were never huge in North America, Final Fantasy aside, and the best they can hope for is a comfortable niche driven by DS games.

Eh, I really hope you're wrong about this. All I buy are RPGs, mostly for the main consoles. Honestly, I've been trying to get a workout with my DS in that category, but I enjoy playing RPGs on my big screen tv any day over the DS. If RPGs die out like you say then I guess I'll just have to get swallowed up by MMORPGs I can play on my big screen instead.

he was talking specifically about JRPGs, which are not doing too well in the states right now, mostly because most of them are crap. Western rpgs are doing a lot better. just ask any hardcore gamer how excited he/she is for ME2 or how many hours he has logged in for Dragon Age.

Final Fantasy does well, but i think thats mostly due to fact the games actually change up some of the game play elements from game to game, its not just the same old turn based or ATB rip off non-sense. also american audiences really do not want androgynous male characters as protagonists, FF XIII hopes to remedy this by making the main character a woman(even if she is just is a cloud clone).

but i digress, the reason JRPGs arn't doing well in america is that american nerds want story and game play to be great and not completely ridiculous, which is the majority of what JPRGs are.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
but i digress, the reason JRPGs arn't doing well in america is that american nerds want story and game play to be great and not completely ridiculous, which is the majority of what JPRGs are.

This is true. Or at least, it's true in my case. I have absolutely no desire to play an RPG unless the game play holds up. No matter how cut scene heavy it is, gameplay is what I'm going to be doing for the bulk of my time and so it's the most important thing. Of course a good story is key too. If either is bad it drags the whole game down.

Quote:
he was talking specifically about JRPGs, which are not doing too well in the states right now, mostly because most of them are crap. Western rpgs are doing a lot better. just ask any hardcore gamer how excited he/she is for ME2 or how many hours he has logged in for Dragon Age.

I couldn't agree more. There really has been a notable lack of quality in JRPGs on current gen consoles. Not even for lack of releases either. There has been a steady stream of games I considered buying and then didn't when they were panned to varying degree's by critics. Star Ocean 4, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Enchanted Arms, Tales of Symphonia 2.

Hell, Even the more well recieved ones didn't do so hot. Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon. None of em got over an 80 on Metacritic. The only one that did were Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls. Meanwhile there are over half a dozen western RPGs up in the 80's and high 90's.

I don't mean to say Metacritic is law or comment on the accuracy of reviews for any particular game but it's a pretty good general indicator. JRPGs have not really been up to snuff this generation. It sure doesn't help either that if listed them from lowest to highest score you'd also probably have a list in order of mainstream accessibility.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I couldn't agree more. There really has been a notable lack of quality in JRPGs on current gen consoles. Not even for lack of releases either. There has been a steady stream of games I considered buying and then didn't when they were panned to varying degree's by critics. Star Ocean 4, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Enchanted Arms, Tales of Symphonia 2.

Hell, Even the more well recieved ones didn't do so hot. Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon. None of em got over an 80 on Metacritic. The only one that did were Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls. Meanwhile there are over half a dozen western RPGs up in the 80's and high 90's.

I don't mean to say Metacritic is law or comment on the accuracy of reviews for any particular game but it's a pretty good general indicator. JRPGs have not really been up to snuff this generation. It sure doesn't help either that if listed them from lowest to highest score you'd also probably have a list in order of mainstream accessibility.

I completely agree, although i put a little less stock in critics reviews, depending on the critic. Usually for me its Story>game play, in terms of what i look for in a video game. which is why to this day i never understand the appeal of MW1 or 2, and any call of duty for that matter. I've played them, they were fun , but no where near game of the year or even decade quality. The story is just to pants on head retarded (although i'm not necessarily the best judge of this, i actually enjoyed and understood the metal gear solid series).

Also it sort of makes me sad that jrpgs aren't doing so well, or that they aren't as good as they used to be. I remember how immersed i used to get into Final Fantasy. makes me sad really. I think a lot of western RPGs are starting to take some elements from JRPGs specifically immersion level and things like cut scenes and dialog options. It wasn't too long ago that most western rpgs were those point and click diablo-esque dungeon crawlers.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Not really sure how you would make something after CC considering how much it wrapped up that entire universe plus it'd be impossible to outdo its plot after it set the bar that bloody high.

Oh, CC (I assume you're talking about Chrono Cross) had a stunning resolution alright, but it still left a few threads hanging. Like, what exactly happened to Guardia? Did Crono, Marle and Lucca really die? What are the whereabouts of Dalton and Magus? Relatively little is still known about the nature of Lavos, as well. Where did he come from? Was he a sentient being? And although he was trying to save the universe, Belthasar's manipulations of time and human life on a massive scale put him dangerously close to villain material. All in all I'd say there's ample room for a sequel, and Kato himself has said he'd like to do one.

true, but that's just a bunch of salad dressing; it didn't have THAT much bearing on the plot of the series and those were never the point to begin with. That kind of story telling doesn't bother with superfluous details. Plus Square is adamant in not doing another one in the series unless they can scrounge up the original team who have been scattered to the winds, including Sakaguchi who is a little too busy doing other things at the moment to cater to the nostalgia crowd.

(Incidentally, I can't think of another video game that is as utterly polarizing in the responses it elicits from players as Chrono Cross. Obviously I fall into the "Love It" category, but I can understand why a lot of others fall into "Hate It".)

One word: NOSTALGIA. THAT IS IT, that's all it ever is. And to have the spine to piss off that much of a fanbase is what really set it apart.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Heh, I had a good laugh about the pink/blue zits. I understand it's a lighting thing, but I never understood some the hues they'd come up for with those.

Japanese RPGs were never huge in North America, Final Fantasy aside, and the best they can hope for is a comfortable niche driven by DS games.

Eh, I really hope you're wrong about this. All I buy are RPGs, mostly for the main consoles. Honestly, I've been trying to get a workout with my DS in that category, but I enjoy playing RPGs on my big screen tv any day over the DS. If RPGs die out like you say then I guess I'll just have to get swallowed up by MMORPGs I can play on my big screen instead.

Final Fantasy does well, but i think thats mostly due to fact the games actually change up some of the game play elements from game to game, its not just the same old turn based or ATB rip off non-sense. also american audiences really do not want androgynous male characters as protagonists, FF XIII hopes to remedy this by making the main character a woman(even if she is just is a cloud clone).

This might just be me, but...

I don't give a #$@& what Americans want in their RPG.

I know what *I* want, and it's nothing Western companies will ever give me. I will be more then happy for JRPGs to remain a small tangent in the american market; with only a handful of publishers catering to this audience.

I don't mind the occasional hit that breaks into main stream, but I'm sick and tired of the whining and complaining from american gamers; which these games are not made for in the first place!

But I'm not advocating some purist import mentality, or saying JRPGs should go underground or something dumb like that. I think it's been good for this genre to get the exposure it has for the past 20+ years in the US.

All I'm saying is, I would take Ar Tonelico 2, with all its american released flaws, over Dragon Age any day of the week.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Also it sort of makes me sad that jrpgs aren't doing so well, or that they aren't as good as they used to be. I remember how immersed i used to get into Final Fantasy. makes me sad really.

It could be that you just don't enjoy JRPGs anymore, and that's fine.

But there have been some GREAT games in the genre in the past several years. Persona 4 was easily my game of the year when Atlus released it in '08.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Also it sort of makes me sad that jrpgs aren't doing so well, or that they aren't as good as they used to be. I remember how immersed i used to get into Final Fantasy. makes me sad really.

It could be that you just don't enjoy JRPGs anymore, and that's fine.

But there have been some GREAT games in the genre in the past several years. Persona 4 was easily my game of the year when Atlus released it in '08.

its not that, i just don't like where the games are going, I like the older stuff better. JRPGs have changed, and i don't like what they changed to.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
I thought Lunar 3 was "Dragon Song". But then it was complete garbage and I pretend that it doesn't exist either.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused, you slate Last Ranker as being a generic JRPG and then crap all over it for this reason, then seem to say Sands of Destruction is also a generic JRPG but then proceed to make excuses for it despite going to lengths to point out the high calibre of the design teams on both games. Why the double standards?
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The shiny red things could be Lupus.....

Sorry, been watching too much House lately. I've noticed the shiny skin stuff has been a regular staple of Rune Factory. To me, it makes it look like they're secretly made of plastic or something.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Sutibaru wrote:
Lets see how the character looks without the tone effects that create depth to the character. To me, the arm looks particularly flat in the shoulder to me now. Nothing too bad, but they created the effect for a reason.

Tadah!

I was going to point this out. The shoulder is given the illusion of appearing to be shaped like a shoulder instead of a flat object. But it's hard to do this on an anime drawing without looking wierd, so the most subtle effect they could do is make the girl look like she's been slapping herself with baby oil.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
I'm confused, you slate Last Ranker as being a generic JRPG and then crap all over it for this reason, then seem to say Sands of Destruction is also a generic JRPG but then proceed to make excuses for it despite going to lengths to point out the high calibre of the design teams on both games. Why the double standards?

Sands of Destructions hints at breaking from the JRPG mold: the destroy-the-world scenario, the dungeon design, and so on. Everything seen so far about Last Ranker suggests a standard-issue RPG.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy I'm cracking up at the comments about the whole "shoulder" deal. Yeah it does look kind of flat when compared to the rest of the highlighting. I guess 'Uno Makoto' likes slapping his gals REAL GOOOOOD (with baby oil). Laughing Laughing Laughing But mind you it could still work in certain situations. But if it's all over the place then we got too much "rosey goodness".

The Grey Ghost wrote:
I thought Lunar 3 was "Dragon Song". But then it was complete garbage and I pretend that it doesn't exist either.

'Dragon Song' was supposed to be prequel of sorts to the series. The only thing that this game ended up doing was piss a lot of 'Lunar' fans off for being nothing more than a doggy biscuit to keep folks pacified and not a REAL TRUE 'LUNAR 3' game. Despite the name. And for those that kept logs on the chronology, 'Dragon Song' is supposed to fall in there somewhere in the distant past. But the dates are off when compared to the dates recorded from the Sega CD version. So you're right there's nothing memorable about the game, sooooo it doesn't exist.

Funny thing is that I can say is that 'Dragon Song' is the very first 'NDS' title I ever purchased before I actually purchased the system. I still haven't played it yet.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

'Dragon Song' was supposed to be prequel of sorts to the series. The only thing that this game ended up doing was piss a lot of 'Lunar' fans off for being nothing more than a doggy biscuit to keep folks pacified and not a REAL TRUE 'LUNAR 3' game. Despite the name. And for those that kept logs on the chronology, 'Dragon Song' is supposed to fall in there somewhere in the distant past. But the dates are off when compared to the dates recorded from the Sega CD version. So you're right there's nothing memorable about the game, sooooo it doesn't exist.

Funny thing is that I can say is that 'Dragon Song' is the very first 'NDS' title I ever purchased before I actually purchased the system. I still haven't played it yet.

I haven't played it either but I'd rather not. What kind of weird game makes you choose between items or money after a victory in battle?
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
todd wrote:
Barmaid should be a class in the new Etrian Odyssey

SOLD. Also shopkeepers...

Also, Sky Crawlers is only $30 and has a reversable cover, which is good for my wallet. But my goodness, January is JAM PACKED (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, No More Heroes 2, and I still haven't even gotten FFCC: The Crystal Bearers).
Ranma824 wrote:
I don't give a #$@& what Americans want in their RPG.

I know what *I* want, and it's nothing Western companies will ever give me. I will be more then happy for JRPGs to remain a small tangent in the american market; with only a handful of publishers catering to this audience.
It is erroneous of you to think that America = all of Western development. Such pithy generalizations make me want to CRUSH YOUR KIND, you #$@& American!
Hardgear wrote:
but it will be interesting to see how a JRPG designed to look like a WRPG will sell.
Someone here has never heard of Demon's Souls.

(And that is why I refuse to acknoledge such labels as "JRPG" and "WRPG". Are you saying the Japanese were not one bit influenced by Diablo, Wizardry, and Ultima? When the !@#$ were you born, son? The FFVII era?)
animehermit wrote:
I like the older stuff better.
This is clearly the correct answer. Also, I blame Tetsuya Nomura, etc.

Last edited by sfried on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6