• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Borders/Waldenbooks/B. Express to sell Untranslated Manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quote
Found this from a source:

So, is Borders Express gonna do it or what? Or does the Black censor bars mean something else?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Wah!? At I hope nobody buys them, at $13 each that's well over twice what they should retail at, you can get them at AN for $5 or so, that's pretty standard pricing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I was just at my Waldenbooks and they indeed are selling untranslated/imported manga. They have a whole shelf of it! Smile

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the prices of the books since I was so shocked it was there in the first place. I looked at a couple of them but I didn't really pay attention to what was there since I can't read japanese anyway. Sad

I talked to someone who works at that store and judging from what they said, what you have is a list of what they have entered in the system. I remember he said that Nana was listed as available but wasn't in the store yet, so perhaps the black bars are referring to that?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! I saw it at Waldens last week too. They only had the first 6 volumes of this one series though. I can't read Japanese so I don't know what it was. It was near Bleach though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Who else think this is going to flop big time? Not many people are able to read untrasnlated manga, so what is borders thinking?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it depends on where they decide to sell it. If they get into areas that have a decently sized Asian community and/or schools with strong enough Japanese programs, it's entirely possible they can sell enough to keep it profitable.

Of course, they are unlikely to be able to compete the the much larger markets like New York and Los Angeles where places like Kinokuniya will already be the major store for consumers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Who else think this is going to flop big time? Not many people are able to read untrasnlated manga, so what is borders thinking?

I agree. There aren't very many Japanese-Americans in the US either. (There are many, but it's few when compared to Chinese or Latin people.) The better idea would be printing them in Spanish. I'm seriously surprised that no one has done that yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I refute my previous statement. Its exactly like wanderer said. I went to my Waldens today and they had 2 and 1/2 shelves of untranslated manga. I was looking at Death Note and it looks pretty good, Viz better publish it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

I agree. There aren't very many Japanese-Americans in the US either. (There are many, but it's few when compared to Chinese or Latin people.) The better idea would be printing them in Spanish. I'm seriously surprised that no one has done that yet.

Well it cost money to trasnlated and print the book. It depends if there's a demand on it.

On the other hand, I think most people who can read japanese already have thier source for untranslated manga like Kinokuniya store which is a lot cheaper
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
wanderer wrote:

I talked to someone who works at that store and judging from what they said, what you have is a list of what they have entered in the system. I remember he said that Nana was listed as available but wasn't in the store yet, so perhaps the black bars are referring to that?

Thats nuts. I would like to see Ai Yazawas work past Paradise Kiss.
wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Thats nuts. I would like to see Ai Yazawas work past Paradise Kiss.

Same here. I don't know much about her other works (I have only ever seen the titles of, and a few visuals from, two others, including Nana) but I adore her artwork and Paradise Kiss is one of my favorites. At least I can look at Nana if it comes in stock, but I wish it was coming here in English! Anime cry
Amikitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Even though, I'm happy that Borders is imported untranslated japanese manga, the price is too steep and not a lot of variety. I think it makes more sense to import the japanese anime artbooks. Even if the artbook does contain some japanese text, people would buy them just for the pretty pictures.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Amikitty wrote:
Even though, I'm happy that Borders is imported untranslated japanese manga, the price is too steep and not a lot of variety. I think it makes more sense to import the japanese anime artbooks. Even if the artbook does contain some japanese text, people would buy them just for the pretty pictures.

They do on occasion. I've seen a couple of Di Gi Charat Artbooks floating around at Borders.
kaitoueesu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
That is WAY too expensive. I buy my untranslated manga at jpqueen.com

Sure, it may have a little higher shipping that Animenation, but they have a lot of titles. I mean...A LOT. Everyone should go there.

www.jpqueen.com
you know...even though I've already said that.
Kyo Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Im curious is there a walldens in Rochester, NY...if so i wanna know so i can pick up some Bleach and other mangas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2