• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
UnknownFactor wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Worst or best? Look at what they did with WonderCon and APE up North. If anyone can do it, it's them. I've been to a bunch of cons and Comic-Con is, by far, still the best one out there AND they also have the most pull, so that means more Special Guests.

Most pull only means most financial backing. You'd be surprised how much they pay for all those guests. Plus, if you have too many guests, everyone's attention is split, unable to see everything/everyone. There can be too much of a good thing.

There's no soul to those cons, IMHO. The crew doesn't care about the con. It's all too corporate for my taste.

Yes, they will have the most financial backing to bring in more guests and as far as attention split? I think Split is better than alienation. Sometimes, the choices aren't something that most people want, or it attracts only certain people. How about the others not into said anime or whatever? More money means more backing means more variety means more satisfied attendees. More problems? Of course. But who better than Comic-Con to straighten things out? No one. They had problems one year at WonderCon with overcrowded dealer hall... next year? FIXED. San Diego's Convention center is too small for the rising attendance numbers... what do they do, get the city to approve a large scale expansion, JUST FOR THEM. Can't get tix to Comic-Con this year? That's cos everyone wants to go to it. Same can happen to AX.

Oh... and as far as "No soul"? Tell that to the staffers at Comic-Con. Most of those guys have been there forever and enjoy it and even express it to the other attendees while soaking in a jacuzzi at one of the hotels. Sure it's corporate. But their stuff is one of the things that brings you their to the con, is it not?
applebread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
UnknownFactor wrote:
There's no soul to those cons, IMHO. The crew doesn't care about the con. It's all too corporate for my taste.

I'd say most of the volunteers and the few low-paid employees do care quite a bit! But I agree that it can be hard to get a feel for the "soul" of a con when it's as huge as AX is now... especially if the people acting as its public face come off as self-important corporate goofballs.
SyncLok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
UnknownFactor wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Worst or best? Look at what they did with WonderCon and APE up North. If anyone can do it, it's them. I've been to a bunch of cons and Comic-Con is, by far, still the best one out there AND they also have the most pull, so that means more Special Guests.

Most pull only means most financial backing. You'd be surprised how much they pay for all those guests. Plus, if you have too many guests, everyone's attention is split, unable to see everything/everyone. There can be too much of a good thing.

Yes, they will have the most financial backing to bring in more guests and as far as attention split? I think Split is better than alienation. Sometimes, the choices aren't something that most people want, or it attracts only certain people. How about the others not into said anime or whatever? More money means more backing means more variety means more satisfied attendees. More problems? Of course. But who better than Comic-Con to straighten things out? No one. They had problems one year at WonderCon with overcrowded dealer hall... next year? FIXED. San Diego's Convention center is too small for the rising attendance numbers... what do they do, get the city to approve a large scale expansion, JUST FOR THEM. Can't get tix to Comic-Con this year? That's cos everyone wants to go to it. Same can happen to AX.

But why would you want to make a duplicate of something that already exists in the same geographic area, at almost the same time? It makes a lot more sense to me to have AX stay concentrated on anime and manga (with possibly *minor* wanderings into related areas like they have with Robot Chicken, etc>), and leave the take no prisoners media circus to the insanity that is Comic-Con. (BTW, I like the insanity. But not for every single con I go to...)

One other thing. Things get *INCREDIBLY* sticky when a for-profit con wants to take over the property of a non-profit.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
SyncLok wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
UnknownFactor wrote:
sykoeent wrote:

But why would you want to make a duplicate of something that already exists in the same geographic area, at almost the same time? It makes a lot more sense to me to have AX stay concentrated on anime and manga (with possibly *minor* wanderings into related areas like they have with Robot Chicken, etc>), and leave the take no prisoners media circus to the insanity that is Comic-Con. (BTW, I like the insanity. But not for every single con I go to...)

One other thing. Things get *INCREDIBLY* sticky when a for-profit con wants to take over the property of a non-profit.

I don't think it'd get insane under Comic-Con rule. I just think they'd make it grow better. They might even move the date to a better one, maybe. LACC has been trying to get Comic-Con for a while, and maybe this is the right answer for the moment.

Also, Comic-Con International is still a non-Profit organization (http://www.comic-con.org/), just like AX. NY Comic-Con is a for-profit organization.

"MISSION STATEMENT:
Comic-Con International is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular art forms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture. "
applebread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
I don't think it'd get insane under Comic-Con rule. I just think they'd make it grow better. They might even move the date to a better one, maybe. LACC has been trying to get Comic-Con for a while, and maybe this is the right answer for the moment.

What exactly do you want AX to be? What is "better" for you?

Is it a glitzier, more industry-heavy con? Most anime/manga companies have little money to spare for conventions these days--outside of Comic Con, maybe, where they can find a larger and more diverse audience, and way more industry exposure, than they could at a smaller convention like AX. And there's little reason for Comic Con to take over and run an industry convention with such a small focus when they already have a con that covers it all.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
applebread wrote:
sykoeent wrote:

What exactly do you want AX to be? What is "better" for you?

Is it a glitzier, more industry-heavy con? Most anime/manga companies have little money to spare for conventions these days--outside of Comic Con, maybe, where they can find a larger and more diverse audience, and way more industry exposure, than they could at a smaller convention like AX. And there's little reason for Comic Con to take over and run an industry convention with such a small focus when they already have a con that covers it all.

Better organization, better draws, smooth and clean. Better stuff at the dealer hall, etc. I don't thing a complete industry heavy con is what AX needs right now, I would just like to see some represented because it seems really empty with out them... kinda like last year. Without any industry draws, it's basically a small convention on steroids. Now, with less draw in attendees, this will also mean the fall of your dealer room and hey, people might get their wish of it moving back to Anaheim.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It seems to me that a 3% attendance increase for the past few years in an industry who's bubble had burst is not so bad.

This was my thought exactly. There were signs the market was slowing for a while before the economic downturn was really apparent and it's possible the industry was heading toward an unsustainable saturation point anyway. AX2009 definitely had a very muted feeling for me, in terms of both the attendee population and the industry presence.

I understand that having plans and goals for the growth of an organization, including the financial details, is important, but this is what happens when you take the obsessive goal of increasing profits every period like a traditional company and apply it to other forms of measurement. And this is even disregarding all of the secondhand details of potential shady goings on and antagonistic attitudes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It seems to me that a 3% attendance increase for the past few years in an industry who's bubble had burst is not so bad.

Yeah, that's what's always confused me. How can you expect growth at an anime convention as large as AX, when the anime industry is in such a state of disarray? In the con's glory days, you had ADV and Pioneer and Viz bringing guests every year. Now what's left of the industry is in no shape to drop major coin on a summer con.

Quote:
I wonder if AX Concom and BAM! should ditch SPJA all together, find another partner and create a competing event,

Sure, they could call it Anime America. OMG, I just realized that some of the younger fans today weren't even born during that conflict. Anime convention drama as ancient history. My mind reels.

------RM
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
"oh my god...Anime Expo has disbanded! Ah, Ah, Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!" [jumps out a window]

"No, no! Anime Expo has not disbanded"
[the man reverses his path through the window and sits down]

"We do have an emergency plan in case of a prolonged strike right here"

[opens a briefcase]

"Let's see...'Replace staffers with super-intelligent cyborgs'..."

So does this mean the big west coast convention will move back home to
gravitating around UC Berkeley? The fools! It was only a matter of time.

So what do you think? Con Wars all over again?
Vinnems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
So where do I apply for all these open vacancies?
SyncLok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Vinnems wrote:
So where do I apply for all these open vacancies?

http://www.spja.org/workforce.php
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Quote:
One of the responses regarding this issue is that none of the previous SPJA CEOs have flown business class on AX's dime, to which Sabec responded, "That's probably true, but… you guys have may not have necessarily been in a professional enough organization to know the world from my perspective…. If you're asking a new executive to come on board that has a lot of experience in the entertainment industry… you know he's reasonably going to expect the same kind of treatment that other executives at his level receive."

Wow. Does this quote say a lot. It is fairly obvious to me that Lattanzio and his crew resemble the CEO types found in our banking institutions. Perks. Bonuses. Cronyism. All of this entitlement justified through their legal council (above).

It seems to me that a 3% attendance increase for the past few years in an industry who's bubble had burst is not so bad. Notice that all the people who resigned are in charge of events that THE FANS like. Lattanzio's plan is probably to replace these individuals with his entertainment industry cronies, who will then program events that will tell the fans what they should be liking. Expect to pay more and get less.

I hope I am wrong, but based on the artice that is how this looks to me...

I was thinking the exactly the same thing. (the only exception would be Warren Buffet). Funny thing is, even if it's a stereotype, you could see it coming a mile away, given his background as an exec at NBC-Universal. It's not right the mindset for this kind of organization but I bet it's what the board is attracted to.

Quote:
I wonder if AX Concom and BAM! should ditch SPJA all together, find another partner and create a competing event, Though I suspect neither event in such a scenario would look the same or have the same atmosphere as AX of the past.

Ironically, the SPJA is a non-profit organization, and yet is attempting to be run like Wallstreet. It does not mean they shouldn't profit but that the way the org is run and goals are different than those stated. All NFPs should be profitable in fact, but for the purposes of other than making themselves rich, where AXConcom members seem to have this more in mind.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not to excuse staff giving a cold shoulder to attendees (which, in my two trips to AX, I didn't much notice), but with an organization of that size, I can't imagine it could exist without some corporate feel. I don't follow convention politics, but I'm sure there's a lot on the line when organizing these kinds of events.

sykoeent wrote:
Better organization, better draws, smooth and clean.
Come back, ACC, all is forgiven! Come baaaack! Anime cry
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
So... what is the relationship between BAM!'s contract being terminated and the walk-out of the eight key staffers? Did Chase Wang call some favors to make this happen, or are they just being mentioned in the same story?
SyncLok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I was thinking the exactly the same thing. (the only exception would be Warren Buffet). Funny thing is, even if it's a stereotype, you could see it coming a mile away, given his background as an exec at NBC-Universal. It's not right the mindset for this kind of organization but I bet it's what the board is attracted to.

Doing a quick google search (Michael Lattanzio and Universal) I see that:

"Lattanzio was executive director of operations for the NBC Universal Park and Resorts CityWalk entertainment complex in Universal City, where he led the management team responsible for entertainment and special events, operations, physical plant, retail, marketing, property and tenant management, security, parking and valet and vendor outsourcing/supervision.

Previously, Lattanzio served as part of the international senior management team that planned, launched, and operated Universal Studios Japan theme park and CityWalk, where he oversaw Universal's first overseas development into a world- class resort and entertainment destination."

I could see how having a CEO with prior business experience in Japan, along with experience in operating a large amusement park, could have an attraction to the SPJA Board. That said, and events seem to be proving this out, that I would not envy the task the Board would have in trying to get a volunteer organization like AX working smoothly with a hardcore corporate executive. Talk about a culture clash...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8