• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
So... what is the relationship between BAM!'s contract being terminated and the walk-out of the eight key staffers? Did Chase Wang call some favors to make this happen, or are they just being mentioned in the same story?

The new CEO's handling of that situation, and the resulting threat of lawsuit (the two companies are now in arbitration) is foremost among the concerns presented by the dissenting members of AX Concom. In their written statements they expressed concern about the financial risk such a maneuver could cause the organization. Doubtless, many AX staffers are also loyal to Chase, since he has spearheaded many aspects of AX over the past several years.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Anime conventions: serious business.
becharm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I dont know the whole story here, but I am desperately hoping for a big change. Last year, AX was a disaster so are the previous years, especially back in 2007.

The attendees are getting bigger each year, whether it is a big increase or not, more and more people are coming; however, the staffs aren't professionally trained enough to deal with that.

I wish AX would some day become as big as COMIC CON. Let give the new guys a chance, and see what they can do to improve it.

Cool
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
SyncLok wrote:
configspace wrote:
I was thinking the exactly the same thing. (the only exception would be Warren Buffet). Funny thing is, even if it's a stereotype, you could see it coming a mile away, given his background as an exec at NBC-Universal. It's not right the mindset for this kind of organization but I bet it's what the board is attracted to.

Doing a quick google search (Michael Lattanzio and Universal) I see that:

"Lattanzio was executive director of operations for the NBC Universal Park and Resorts CityWalk entertainment complex in Universal City, where he led the management team responsible for entertainment and special events, operations, physical plant, retail, marketing, property and tenant management, security, parking and valet and vendor outsourcing/supervision.

Previously, Lattanzio served as part of the international senior management team that planned, launched, and operated Universal Studios Japan theme park and CityWalk, where he oversaw Universal's first overseas development into a world- class resort and entertainment destination."

I could see how having a CEO with prior business experience in Japan, along with experience in operating a large amusement park, could have an attraction to the SPJA Board. That said, and events seem to be proving this out, that I would not envy the task the Board would have in trying to get a volunteer organization like AX working smoothly with a hardcore corporate executive. Talk about a culture clash...

I look at it this way. SPJA knew what level of executive they were hiring. His contract prob speciifes what level of "perks" he is entitled to prob including a severance package. The tickets for business class for 2 people were prob not the cheapest but they did go thru a travel agency. Prob not the thing to do during a recession.

Asking BAM! to give up their proprietary contact list prob wasn't a good idea either if it wasn't specified in their contract. No one likes to get undercut or cheated by another company.

Los Angeles to San Fransisco is 382 miles or 6-7 1/2 hours drive time. He prob did business class again. (an example)

I agree. SPJA has a culture clash issue. The guy is looking like an accountant's nightmare imo.
SeiyuuOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Breaking: Anime kids can't work professionally.

News at 10.

In other news, 78 fansubbers leave their groups today over some dramas.
StoneBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
"There are also two vacant division manager positions from membership services, although those empty seats are the result of previous resignations unrelated to the most recent walkout. "

That is definitely an error. They resigned since they had problems with the BOD, CFO and the CEO soon after. They resigned earlier than everyone else since they clearly saw this wasn't going to work out with the way they were being treated last year, as well as knowing this year wasn't going to be better for them with this new CEO. It's only recently, that everyone realizes they can't work with this CEO (they did try) and hence the mass resignations among ConCom and department managers (including myself).

I'm glad someone decided to leak this information. Sadly these events occurred as I predicted when they picked the new CEO months ago. His attitude from the last two phone conservations is either you're on "his team" or you're not gonna be there anymore. He's already failing at making this convention based on last year's timeline. Last year, Registration would already be up (even when it was considered late last year), yet they JUST hired today a new Div Head for Membership (including the registration department); after the position has been available for a few months already. The CEO obviously wants people that would work and follow him, yet forgot time is a factor and you can't just replace everyone. He'll probably try to pay for temps but it's not like AX has a budget like Comic-con does. If only he realizes anime/manga is a niche (with a weak industry to support it) while comic-con has mainstream appeal.

I just wish this happened sooner since if the CEO, BOD and Con Chair get replaced, at least there might have been time to get things moving again for 2010. At this rate who knows if anyone would be able to scrap a reasonably good convention this year.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
While it's cool to blame the executive types and all, frankly, I'm not buying the one-sided finger pointing one bit. Let's not forget the fact that he is a big name, and successful executive who has organized and run operations far heftier than this in the past.

Plus, AX is no stranger to drama amongst its staff, so part of me has to wonder if the whole "clash" here is amongst two sides who equally refuse to do things any other way than theirs. From past incidents it seems that these staffers are prone to problems and drama, which I refuse to believe wasn't a contributing factor here. Part of me is beginning to think this is all a bunch of drama from staffers who are used to pulling strings and bumped in to an exec that wasn't going to let them.

Honestly, it just seems like AX grew too big for just the volunteers and staffers to do along without experience, but once the business world came in they couldn't handle the compromise and drama ensued. It's a bummer, and I hope AX can survive this. I mean, the anime market and industry is shaky enough as it is right now, the collapse of the countries largest convention would be another hefty blow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
While it's cool to blame the executive types and all, frankly, I'm not buying the one-sided finger pointing one bit. Let's not forget the fact that he is a big name, and successful executive who has organized and run operations far heftier than this in the past.

I agree with every point you make (especially the propensity for AX towards utter dysfunction and anarchy. My god, the 2007 meetings!) with one big exception. Big name and successful executive mean absolutely nothing. No. Thing. I have met and even worked under many many executives that are utter morons who should have never even been trusted with a driver's license, let alone a major corporation.

He could be brilliant. I haven't met the guy. But I also must point out that a non-profit like the SPJA couldn't possibly pay very much money even to a CEO. So I do wonder.
milkmandan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
He could be brilliant. I haven't met the guy. But I also must point out that a non-profit like the SPJA couldn't possibly pay very much money even to a CEO. So I do wonder.

Which is exactly what i am wondering.

If the BoD knew he was high profile and that he would have webbed-feet for international travel. Why not tell him ahead of time that he would need to fly economy? How hard is it to suffer an economy seat for a total of 24 hours to save thousands of dollars?

Save the money for attendees? That extra money could provide extra free water around the convention? I mean comon...if he is claiming that they are working for the industry and for attendees, I'd really like to see it for us then.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
The new CEO wasting thousands of dollars to fly business class is not even 1% of the story of what he has done to the organization. He definitely has a love/hate relationship with most of the people that are/were in the organization. It is not the correct way to run a company. Telling your own staffers that may have been with the convention for many years that they either follow your word or risk termination is utterly disgusting. He does not take anyone's opinion and AX's "think tank" stuff on the main website is just disguise for Michael Lattanzio's ideas. Anything he says either has to go or you will be terminated for speaking out against him. As many of you have stated, his main goal is to make money, for AX, and ultimately of course it will be for himself. In many of his comments, he has made it clear he is in it for the buck. As a very dedicated staffer for the past few years, I am very disappointed in the way he has changed the organization.

For those concerned that there will be no AX. Oh I'm sure there will be an AX, but it most likely will not be the way it has been in past years. Sadly.
milkmandan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
the fact that there is drama, is not good and extremely unfair to the people who are working very very hard.

if anything i think the CEO should lead by example...but just my two cents
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
milkmandan wrote:
the fact that there is drama, is not good and extremely unfair to the people who are working very very hard.

if anything i think the CEO should lead by example...but just my two cents

He definitely should lead a good example. It really is unfair to all of us that have worked so hard to make this convention successful in all departments. I do agree that sometimes in the past, things have been unsuccessful, like masquerades being boring, lines being in the sun, staffers being rude, but these were things that we always tried to fix and make better for next year. We work our butts off pre-con to make sure everything is perfect for the attendees. We are fans that worked for fans, but unfortunately when someone just jumps in and basically discredits all the work that we have done these past few years and thinks the only correct way is to follow his way, you see what it has led too.

He really thinks that his way is correct. Perhaps all staff should buy business class tickets on Japan Airlines and see what that will do to AX.. *sigh*
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
ahh con drama.....

whatever happened to just having fun at a con?

someone needs to write "a definitive guide to running an anime con" .... or maybe not, they would probably get flamed afterwards....

... but the CEO "seems" like he's got the right credentials... although it does amaze me how one person (or a small group) can set off a chain reaction like this...
SevenMagpies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Plus, AX is no stranger to drama amongst its staff, so part of me has to wonder if the whole "clash" here is amongst two sides who equally refuse to do things any other way than theirs. From past incidents it seems that these staffers are prone to problems and drama, which I refuse to believe wasn't a contributing factor here. Part of me is beginning to think this is all a bunch of drama from staffers who are used to pulling strings and bumped in to an exec that wasn't going to let them.

Honestly, it just seems like AX grew too big for just the volunteers and staffers to do along without experience, but once the business world came in they couldn't handle the compromise and drama ensued. It's a bummer, and I hope AX can survive this. I mean, the anime market and industry is shaky enough as it is right now, the collapse of the countries largest convention would be another hefty blow.

Special snowflakes or no, usually wide-spread staff drama is a result of poor management from up top. When you don't have the resources to do a proper job, things get stressful, and if there's little communication coming from management while you're putting in hundreds of hours of volunteer work, things get frustrating.

I hope AX pulls through too, for the fans if nobody else. I have a lot of friends and colleagues who were looking forward to seeing each other at AX2010.

Last edited by SevenMagpies on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, something originally built by fans, turned into another corporate machine. I'm not surprised so many people walked. Any details still in the dark aside, turning a convention that should be about fans into a game of "by the numbers" and "grow the business" is not the right way to go about it. The entire fact that AX has been growing at all in the last couple years, rather than taking attendance hits, speaks volumes for its staying power. Trying to completely transform something that has been working, into something corporate, which more and more people are coming to detest these days, was a horrible idea.

Oh well, I've never gone to a con, but this news isn't gonna help change that one bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8