• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
While it's cool to blame the executive types and all, frankly, I'm not buying the one-sided finger pointing one bit. Let's not forget the fact that he is a big name, and successful executive who has organized and run operations far heftier than this in the past.

But that's the thing. He's not a big name really, and if you've looked at NBC's books for that business division (based on the article, I did), we're not talking about "Neutron Jack" here (where NBC was much more vicious, but also profitable).

Additionally his statements are hardly those one would expect from someone in a C-level position. At the least he needs to get some major help from the Marketing folks on how to speak with the press.

I'm not going to waste a lot of time on his comments regarding attendance or profits for AX. It seems that he doesn't quite understand the industry he's currently in (while it's related to his previous position, it's different enough to require him to sit back and watch it work for a bit first... something most successful business leaders would do).

BTW: the comments regarding travel are pure and utter nonsense. As a CEO you do not "assume" the perks. You know them, and they are made clear in your contract. Note how that is not what he stated. The reference to "other CEOs" was also interesting. The people who serve as the face of conventions are his peers now, not the CEOs of larger corporations. I think this also relates to his misunderstanding of the industry. To expect increases in profit in a niche market, in a downward economy is one thing, but it seems the he is using metrics based on other industries, not the one in which AX is compared to. When you use the industry metric, you see that his disappointment in the numbers is rather unfounded.

Quote:
Plus, AX is no stranger to drama amongst its staff, so part of me has to wonder if the whole "clash" here is amongst two sides who equally refuse to do things any other way than theirs. From past incidents it seems that these staffers are prone to problems and drama, which I refuse to believe wasn't a contributing factor here. Part of me is beginning to think this is all a bunch of drama from staffers who are used to pulling strings and bumped in to an exec that wasn't going to let them.

I'm not going to disagree with you regarding con drama. Lord knows that AX is famous for it with its staff. However, if you think that it's one-sided, then I suggest that you re-read the article. There's definitely more to the story here, but it's pretty obvious that the current CEO is his own worst enemy when it comes to PR.

Quote:
Honestly, it just seems like AX grew too big for just the volunteers and staffers to do along without experience, but once the business world came in they couldn't handle the compromise and drama ensued. It's a bummer, and I hope AX can survive this. I mean, the anime market and industry is shaky enough as it is right now, the collapse of the countries largest convention would be another hefty blow.

Again, I can't help but to agree with your point. Most cons are staffed by fans. Unfortunately, the fans are often pretty bad at seeing "the big picture" when it comes to most things business-related (receiving a "business card" from a con chair that was nothing more than a handwritten note Xeroxed on looseleaf paper is one of the more amusing experiences I've had; that the con he was associated with is one of the largest in the US is just shameful). Ask most con chairs about their accounting and they'll run in terror (which isn't always their fault, as good accounting for events is often difficult).

On the flip side, most businesses and business-types who are new to the anime industry often have problems understanding the nature of these events, or even the business itself. One size does not fit all, and that's the problem most people outside the industry have. Their experience and mindset might prove useful, but they need to adapt to the industry more than the industry needs to adapt to them (if they wish to be successful).

I'm sure that this isn't the last we'll hear of controversy from AX, but I wouldn't be too worried about the event just yet. The real story will be how members of the anime industry (guests of honor, licensing companies, and industry representatives) respond to AX this year. If there is a lot of grumbling regarding the con (as related to costs, QoS, etc.), then there's a serious problem which needs to be addressed from the top-down. Otherwise, you can chalk it up to the growing pains which every organization has when new leadership takes the reins.

Time will tell...
anemayfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
AX has had a lot of drama behind the scenes for years now and a shake up was inevitable. It seems AX 2007 was just a prelude and although things had settled down since then, the rumblings started up again in March 2009 when news of the new CEO was first announced and certain individuals left the organization. Those of us privy to various information wondered which direction the new CEO would go when his position became official in September. Although AX 2009 proved to be successful overall it seems that the new CEO has decided to clean house. Even though I was hoping for a slower transition, it seems this situation was unavoidable. I now hope that things will get worked out in time for an AX 2010.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally his statements are hardly those one would expect from someone in a C-level position. At the least he needs to get some major help from the Marketing folks on how to speak with the press.

Why not? When a threat of legal action is taken then what he said is about all you can say. It's the very basics really; anything you say and do could be put under scrutiny or twisted by the other side. So you minimize damage, try to right the ship, and avoid direct discussion of the events and move on. I doubt it's the marketing department he's going to, but the legal department, and that would be the smart move for anyone in a legal situation in times of turmoil. I hate to say it, but that's the world we live in; sorry to break the bad news.

Quote:
I'm not going to waste a lot of time on his comments regarding attendance or profits for AX. It seems that he doesn't quite understand the industry he's currently in (while it's related to his previous position, it's different enough to require him to sit back and watch it work for a bit first... something most successful business leaders would do).

I don't think that's the case at all. It may very well be that it's the staffers who don't understand the industry they're in at this time. His comments about attendance didn't seem out of place at all, even regarding Bam! It's true, why would they pay such a firm when there have been no distinguishable results? I mean, why complain about his plane tickets and then support the idea of a contract with a company that isn't producing results? Either scrutinize the funds uniformly or don't, but double standards don't work in business.

Quote:
BTW: the comments regarding travel are pure and utter nonsense. As a CEO you do not "assume" the perks. You know them, and they are made clear in your contract. Note how that is not what he stated. The reference to "other CEOs" was also interesting. The people who serve as the face of conventions are his peers now, not the CEOs of larger corporations. I think this also relates to his misunderstanding of the industry. To expect increases in profit in a niche market, in a downward economy is one thing, but it seems the he is using metrics based on other industries, not the one in which AX is compared to. When you use the industry metric, you see that his disappointment in the numbers is rather unfounded.

Well, you don't attract and draw in a successful name without providing the benefits that go with the job. The "peers" you speak of stopped being peers when AX grew to the size it did, and this group went the direction they did. Maybe the airfare was excessive, sure, I can see that, but the sheer act of hiring someone of this level may also have been excessive to start with. As for the profit increase expectations; you're always looking for ways to increase profit and exposure, regardless of economic conditions, that's what someone in that position does. Sometimes that involves trimming away cost elements that aren't producing, which still effects profit even with the same level of intake. Removing a marketing contract that isn't producing results would be just such a move. In fact, it's more relevant in this type of economy than in a growing economy.

Quote:
I'm not going to disagree with you regarding con drama. Lord knows that AX is famous for it with its staff. However, if you think that it's one-sided, then I suggest that you re-read the article. There's definitely more to the story here, but it's pretty obvious that the current CEO is his own worst enemy when it comes to PR.

I never said it was one-sided, nor do i think it was such. However, what we have is one groups side, which is also the side that is going to be the favorites/heroes of the fans. All I'm saying is that with this groups track records of turbulence and drama, I simply doubt that it's one-sided in the direction that everyone is immediately assuming (with far less than half the entire story I'm sure). I'm not taking one persons side or the other, I'm just being objective here and noting that there's a pattern in place that shouldn't be discredited, and little more than a bunch of "he said, she said".

Either way, I think it was clear AX needed something after the past couple years, though this chunk of drama definitely was not it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
While it's cool to blame the executive types and all, frankly, I'm not buying the one-sided finger pointing one bit. Let's not forget the fact that he is a big name, and successful executive who has organized and run operations far heftier than this in the past.

I agree with every point you make (especially the propensity for AX towards utter dysfunction and anarchy. My god, the 2007 meetings!) with one big exception. Big name and successful executive mean absolutely nothing. No. Thing. I have met and even worked under many many executives that are utter morons who should have never even been trusted with a driver's license, let alone a major corporation.

Prime example, I work for the Mouse (no authority, I'm an in-park flunky) and most long-timers here hold the opinion that while Michael Eisner DID save Disney from being bought out in the 80's and raised it to the level it now is, a lot of Disney's soul was sold off for the name of profit. I'm wondering if my trip to Cali should be spent being touristy with the girlfriend instead...

Last edited by vashthekaizoku on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Why not? When a threat of legal action is taken then what he said is about all you can say. It's the very basics really; anything you say and do could be put under scrutiny or twisted by the other side. So you minimize damage, try to right the ship, and avoid direct discussion of the events and move on. I doubt it's the marketing department he's going to, but the legal department, and that would be the smart move for anyone in a legal situation in times of turmoil. I hate to say it, but that's the world we live in; sorry to break the bad news.

Well I wasn't referring to the legal issue with BAM! Marketing, but to his other statements. HOWEVER, since you brought that up, Let's look at the metrics.

# of attendees at AX prior to the use of BAM! = 15,250
# of attendees at AX as of the last year of service = 44,000

Compared to the yearly increase of most of the larger cons, the numbers had AX's attendance growing faster than almost any other established con with an attendance of over 5K in the country up until 2006, at which point the attendance increase dropped significantly. Contrast that drop to the decline in the anime industry as a whole, you've still got a hard argument to make.

BTW: most CEOs will not comment on a legal matter, but will direct you to the chief legal counsel. There's a reason for this (as you aptly stated). Unless Lattanzio is a lawyer, you don't want to comment on legal issues.

That there's a lawsuit going on about it tells me that it's either sour grapes, of that there is a belief that the contract was violated (we won't know until someone posts documents regarding the case).

As for the rest, yes indeed Lattanzio needs some help with his speaking. Let me give you an example:

Good corporate response (from SPJA Chairman Marc Perez):

Certainly, the Board is concerned that some of its valued Concom staff have resigned, while also understanding that transitions such as this can be difficult.

Bad corporate response (from CEO Lattanzio):

It seems the drama continues. For years the Anime Expo Division of the SPJA has experienced turbulence from Concom management.

I'd dismiss it as an off-hand remark, but I took the time to look for other quotes (both in the article and using Google). I noticed that most times Lattanzio is quoted, what comes out sounds more like what I'd expect from a fanboy, not someone who is supposed to be the embodiment of the corporation.

Quote:

I don't think that's the case at all. It may very well be that it's the staffers who don't understand the industry they're in at this time. His comments about attendance didn't seem out of place at all, even regarding Bam! It's true, why would they pay such a firm when there have been no distinguishable results? I mean, why complain about his plane tickets and then support the idea of a contract with a company that isn't producing results? Either scrutinize the funds uniformly or don't, but double standards don't work in business.

Two things:

1) See above for metrics regarding the growth of AX during BAM!'s contract. I didn't want to take the time to snag those, but it's obvious that you wanted to use items I wasn't commenting on for your argument, so let me use the metrics to show you how your statement is innaccurate.

2) From 2007 on, most conventions and even the anime distributors in the US have noticed a contraction of growth. AX seems to have experienced it a bit more than most, which is expected considering their growth over the past 10 years. With the economy, most corporations within the industry have been experiencing a growth rate of less than 5%. For conventions I think AX is particularly hard hit (but for conventions in CA, I believe it to be reasonable). A good chunk of that is the economy, another part is the inevitable plateau that occurs when your attendance grows by such a large amount in such a short time (nearly tripling in six years). Note how none of that was mentioned, nor how Lattanzio addressed that in any detail. All you got was non-speak.

Quote:
Well, you don't attract and draw in a successful name without providing the benefits that go with the job. The "peers" you speak of stopped being peers when AX grew to the size it did, and this group went the direction they did. Maybe the airfare was excessive, sure, I can see that, but the sheer act of hiring someone of this level may also have been excessive to start with. As for the profit increase expectations; you're always looking for ways to increase profit and exposure, regardless of economic conditions, that's what someone in that position does. Sometimes that involves trimming away cost elements that aren't producing, which still effects profit even with the same level of intake. Removing a marketing contract that isn't producing results would be just such a move. In fact, it's more relevant in this type of economy than in a growing economy.

Okay, the "peers" you speak of are "perks". Simple typo, but I don't want to confuse anyone here.

Let me respond to these as they come into my head:

1) You do not say that you "assume it was a perk", nor compare yourself to others in the industry (in the same position). There are two reasons for this: first is shows that you don't know what you're talking about regarding your position (never use words like assume when justifying your position), and AX is a convention and needs to be measured against those metrics, not those of another industry (which Lattanzio is doing). HOWEVER, let's go with your argument for a second here and see what happens. How much extra visibility is Lattanzio getting by spending more money on a business-class ticket? None, save for the negative connotation brought up by the article (BTW: good job to those who pointed out that previous CEOs did not fly in business-class). For Lattanzio to further comment on the issue by stating "I assumed it was a perk" shows that he is not sure of what his benefits are with regard to his position. Make no mistake that no CEO in their right mind would have made that mistake (frankly, they're masters of milking the privilege of their positions, which BTW: is spelled out in their employment contracts).

2) In a downward economy or one in which no tangible growth has occured, you don't usually kill off your marketing, even if they're third party contractors. It's common-sense business. I happen to run a business that is heavily invested in the marketing efforts of various companies and right now if I didn't read about the recession, I wouldn't know about it (business for me has actually picked up). I'd go with your argument regarding BAM! if the numbers didn't paint a different story for me, not to mention Lattanzio's attempts to cut them out of the game prior to cancelling their contract.

I totally agree with you that this is not what AX needed, and like most, there's going to be three sides to it (Lattanzio's, those who have resigned, and the truth).

If anyone has the financials for the corporation, that would be a great thing to add to this conversation. Since they're a non-profit, it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain (have to file it openly in CA, IIRC) and it would bring a lot more to light (as has been noticed in the past, a few of the regulars have good experience in reading the financial reports from companies).
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

Two things:

2) From 2007 on, most conventions and even the anime distributors in the US have noticed a contraction of growth. AX seems to have experienced it a bit more than most, which is expected considering their growth over the past 10 years. With the economy, most corporations within the industry have been experiencing a growth rate of less than 5%. For conventions I think AX is particularly hard hit (but for conventions in CA, I believe it to be reasonable). A good chunk of that is the economy, another part is the inevitable plateau that occurs when your attendance grows by such a large amount in such a short time ...

Another thing you forgot to mention is that Anime Expo is really close to San Diego Comic-Con as far as time and vicinity. Luckily. for AX, there has been a registration cap on Comic-Con lately because of overcrowding. After the expansion, however, more people will be allowed in, again, eating at AX's attendance numbers.
I admit, I'm a Comic-Con fanboy, but I still do enjoy AX. The thing with Comic-Con, though, is that it is still run by fanboys and people who are still very much in love with what Comic-Con is. That's why it is able to grow. AX, with people, who love this con and genre, leaving, it will be harder to grow as fast as the current CEO wants.
Generally speaking, most CEO's only look at numbers, unfortunately. This is where the problem lies. You need someone like the CEO but really into the genre.
Spaceman-Spiff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
A couple of months ago, the SPJA CEO said:

Since we are a fan-based organization, I would love to solicit your feedback and hear directly from you as to what we can do to make next year’s event memorable. Please email me at [email protected].

Source: http://www.anime-expo.org/2009/11/11/message-from-the-chief-executive-officer/

So, instead of talking about it here for pages and do nothing, you can send a letter to the guy. Give him your feedback.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
A lot of people have been discussing the executive class airfare. Unfortunately it seems that most people don't fully understand.

If* AX / SPJA wants an experienced high-level executive like Lattanzio, they need to offer competitive perks similar to the ones that Lattanzio would expect if he worked at a major corporation. Executive Class airfare is one of those perks. Of all the issues being discussed, this one is pure stupidity in regards to Lattanzio.

That said, I'm not certain if Ms. Groomes should qualify for that perk.

* I'm in no way saying that the decision to bring in a corporate executive was the right decision.

None of us have seen the fruits of Mr. Lattanzio's work yet, so personally, I'm not ready to cast judgment on his performance. The one thing that is obvious is that he needs to learn how to address volunteer underlings. They can't be treated like employees in a corporation, but rather they need to be treated as benefactors. I'm certain Mr. Lattanzio would chose his words more wisely if he was speaking to, or about a group of financial benefactors. The volunteers are no different, they donate their time and expertise, which has real value, so they need to be addressed appropriately. Otherwise, as we've just seen, they will withhold their "donations."

-t
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Well I wasn't referring to the legal issue with BAM! Marketing, but to his other statements. HOWEVER, since you brought that up, Let's look at the metrics.

# of attendees at AX prior to the use of BAM! = 15,250
# of attendees at AX as of the last year of service = 44,000

You need to look at the whole picture, not just the beginning and the end.

Attendance data from AnimeCons.com:
AX2002: 15,250
AX2003: 17,000
AX2004: 25,000
AX2005: 26,411
AX2006: 32,930
AX2007: 41,671
AX2008: 43,000
AX2009: 44,000

The last three years has seen very little growth. Of the last six, only 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 had significant growth. It's clear they're expecting more.

As for BAM!, I've been on the receiving end of their press releases. I've found them to be fairly terrible. Here are a few examples...

Example 1:
They're lazy.

2008: http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/631
2009: http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/822
Compare the press releases. Not only were they both sent out on March 5th of 2008 and 2009, but the text is almost exactly the same!

Example 2:
Nobody proofreads them.

http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/867
The first one spells the guest of honor's name wrong in THE FIRST SENTENCE! It's "Kari Wahlgren", not "Kari Wahlfren".

http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/872
"Attending Anime Expo® 2008" ...uh...you mean 2009?

These are just two examples. There are a lot of other glaring errors in other press releases that a proofreader could have caught.

Example 3:
Spam!

http://www.animecons.com/events/info.shtml/1666
Scroll down and look at the list of press releases. Notice the dates. They spam them out in spurts of many at a time (sometimes on the same day) rather than spread them out over time.

Example 4:
Sending out crap.

http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/138
http://www.animecons.com/news/article.shtml/144
Do you really need to put out press releases telling people the finer points for the rules? What's next, a press release that someone had chicken for lunch? Really, you don't need to send a press release every time you update a page on your web site. Save press releases for actual news like guest announcements.

Example 5:
Excess use of the ®

I won't post a URL since this it's in EVERY press release. It's bad enough that usually half the press release contains the exact same text after the first paragraph, but they put a registered trademark in EVERY time they say "Anime Expo". That's excessive. Refer to:
http://www.inta.org/index.php?option=com_simplefaq&task=display&Itemid=0&catid=284&page=1&getcontent=5#FAQ69

"How Do I Use Trademarks Properly in Press Releases or Articles?
If a trademark is acknowledged in the heading of an article or press release, it is not necessary to also acknowledge it within the body of the document. The trademark symbol need only appear in the first or most prominent mention of the mark."

I think AX/SPJA can definitely do better than BAM! and given the attendance plateau of the last few years, it's probably a good time to get a fresh new marketing firm in.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A lot of people have been discussing the executive class airfare. Unfortunately it seems that most people don't fully understand.

If* AX / SPJA wants an experienced high-level executive like Lattanzio, they need to offer competitive perks similar to the ones that Lattanzio would expect if he worked at a major corporation.

Just picking this as representative, as there have been lots of good comments. My take, having some experience, is that this is not an apples to apples situation. Yes, if he were going to work for General Electric, his contract would stipulate precisely what percs he received commensurate with his position, and business class airfare as well as business lodging would be included. Those so-called "percs", however, are not part of compensation, but are calculated based on contribution to business performance.

Yes, percs have come to be a component of compensation in people's minds and have certainly been abused, but the underlying purpose of flying an executive business class, transporting them in limousines and lodging them in executive hotels is to improve their productivity. Percs are service facilities that free the person's attention and provide support for them to work more effectively. That is, the corporation's purpose is, before anything else, to generate profit, and any money spent is supposed to increase profits directly or indirectly. The fact that percs provide a higher level of creature comforts for the individual is incidental, not the purpose of putting them in the contract.

Comparing himself to CEO's of commercial corporations at all, much less if he is implying equality with major corporate CEO's, isn't very smart publicly and is incorrect. A non-profit, by definition, doesn't exist to generate profits. Of course, it must generate revenue to continue and expand what it is delivering and to compensate the paid employees. Even in commercial corporations, though, a very good sign from a new leader is their willingness to forego perks in difficult financial periods. Just because it's in the contract, doesn't mean they must take advantage of them. During the initial ISP wars, in the late 90's, a little company called Mindspring in Atlanta grew to become the first actually profitable major ISP, years before any other. No executive ever flew above economy class. Everyone stayed in Motel 6's, and most offices had lawn chairs bought at Wal-Mart for guests and meetings (kept useless meetings to a minimum for sure). They grew to merge with EarthLink, and the stockholders of Mindspring, including nearly all employees, made out quite well. And the headquarters after the merger ended up in, yes, Atlanta. I've seen several start-ups that failed simply due to having to "finance" the life-styles of former corporate executives hired to run a company that had yet to generate a profit.

But in the first place, why hire someone from the strictly for-profit arena who expects to be treated like a commercial CEO? If I were hiring for a relatively small and niche non-profit, and the person came off that way, I would pass. I disagree completely that the plane fare is trivial, and certainly the multiple trips to SF where his GF just happens to reside are very suspect (having witnessed this behavior multiple times in corporations). It's something that in a large for-profit corporation is usually ignored, though always noted. As long as that executive is producing the numbers, no one complains. Just don't let their numbers fall, because the data is still there, part of the ammunition store. No decent corporate accountant would see that pattern and not be suspicious.

Not to say it's one-sided. The drama is evident coming from the former staff. The heart of the issue is the culture clash. And it won't be the first time a new leader came in and cleaned house. Personally, I would have left as well, though, because his demand that everyone think like him, plus firing a marketing firm that has been successful according to their numbers, doesn't bode well for an enjoyable working environment regardless of potential results. His demanding that the marketing firm turn over their list of contacts is simply ridiculous and stupid. That tells me more about his "qualifications" as a senior executive than anything else. His behavior would make more sense if the organization were actually failing, if attendance numbers were down drastically, etc, but not when things are arguably going pretty well under the current economic climate.

On another note, if he is that type of executive, then his career is a major focus. That seems obvious, but I mean in that arena of "high-powered" executives, every move is strategically calculated to increase status and income, regardless of personal interest in the industry or sector. His constant references to being the "CEO" are telling. Not that he won't be successful in improving the numbers, but I can't fault a group of fan-oriented staff for not wanting to work under that type of direction. I suspect they contribute far more effort than any monetary compensation represents, and that most of that compensation comes from the enjoyment of the work, not money.
Lames

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but i just don't get this and forgive me if someone already asked this. But why do two different groups need to oversee one event?
combatmedic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
As a now former member of the Staff of AX who worked directly under one of the mangers who stepped down, I feel I should say a little something.

I worked AX for 5 years, and every one of my friends had worked the convention for even longer. Our manager is also a personal friend. A number of us even lived with the guy for a while. We all worked hard before, during, and after the con to make sure our department was good enough for everyone to enjoy. We came up with some ideas that turned into now loved events, and continued to try and make them better. Months of planning went into such events and there was always a great turn out, and people enjoyed it, which in turn made us happy. Over the years I had lost interest in anime in general, but still worked on staff because I am loyal to my group, and had fun working the con every year. Its a weekend we have to ourselves, something a lot of us don't have anymore, and while there was a lot of work involved, it was still fun.

Was there drama in staff? Or course there was. Go to any company that has more that 10 people working together, of course there is going to be drama. But the drama never affected the convention. This drama was between the board and the managers.

Now Im not going to try and pretend that I know all the details of the upper level power struggle, thats something that really does not concern or interest us lower staff members. But knowing the effects of whatever the board had on our friend and manager is enough for us to follow him away from our once beloved annual tradition. Will the fans miss out on a lot of their favorite parts of expo? Probably not. Will the fans have as much fun now? Without trying to sound like a total stuck up ass, Id have to say no.
No amount of corporate staffing could ever compare the dedication we as a group put into this convention. Literally blood, sweat, and a good amount of our own money went into making our departments fun for the convention goer. But with that now gone, I seriously doubt the convention will grow.

2010 may very well be the beginning of the end for AX. And for a lot of staff, its sad to watch that ship sink from dock.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
It really is very sad what is currently happening. Hopefully the hole in the ship is still small enough that it can be patched, but as time goes on, this seems less and less likely. Fans can already see changes that are coming with this new type of corporate management. Examples can be the $10 dollar increment in prices to attend Anime Expo and I'm sure there will be many other changes where money is greatly involved. With most of the staff gone, you can expect to see more hired workers, who are not actually fans of the Japanese Anime. This may be a good or bad thing for attendees, so I will not pass judgment.

It is true, the CEO has stated that he is 'open for discussion' so if people want, you can email him at [email protected] and he supposedly will discuss his things with you. Hopefully this is true because he made no effort to discuss things with those that resigned.

As for the discussions about BAM, look at the guest of honors these past years. Were they really that horrible? I am waiting to see what kind of GoH results that this CEO will get because there are rumors that he has already failed in signing some very big names.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
The last three years has seen very little growth. Of the last six, only 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 had significant growth. It's clear they're expecting more.

Just looking at the difference between the top 10 largest for 2009 article, 2008 article, and 2007 article, the AX 2009 growth seems on par with most of it's peers numbers wise. The 2008 growth does seem stunted when compared to the rest of the top10 though (by about half).

Percentage wise growth is a horrible measurement in this case because you are comparing a con with 2-3 times the number people as its peers and thus percentage wise, it will do 2-3 times worse when it takes in the same number of people. It isn't like unbounded growth is going to be possible, especially in an industry con where the industry just took a nose dive. The previous years with the large growth spurts should be compared to the peers too.
thebaron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Anime conventions: serious business.

I have learned a lot of about contracts, guests, and other dealings in the last few years and it is very serious business when money is involved in any convention. It can almost feel like a second and third job without pay in most cases....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8