• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocky Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A lot of people have been discussing the executive class airfare. Unfortunately it seems that most people don't fully understand.

If* AX / SPJA wants an experienced high-level executive like Lattanzio, they need to offer competitive perks similar to the ones that Lattanzio would expect if he worked at a major corporation. Executive Class airfare is one of those perks. Of all the issues being discussed, this one is pure stupidity in regards to Lattanzio.

That said, I'm not certain if Ms. Groomes should qualify for that perk.

* I'm in no way saying that the decision to bring in a corporate executive was the right decision.

None of us have seen the fruits of Mr. Lattanzio's work yet, so personally, I'm not ready to cast judgment on his performance. The one thing that is obvious is that he needs to learn how to address volunteer underlings. They can't be treated like employees in a corporation, but rather they need to be treated as benefactors. I'm certain Mr. Lattanzio would chose his words more wisely if he was speaking to, or about a group of financial benefactors. The volunteers are no different, they donate their time and expertise, which has real value, so they need to be addressed appropriately. Otherwise, as we've just seen, they will withhold their "donations."

-t

I would think the people who have volunteered for years to make AX what it is today and now have resigned speaks volumes of the kind of CEO Mr. Lattanzio is.

I like the point that you brought up with Kim Groomes. If it was just Mr. Lattanzio, then I'm sure the cost would be easier to swallow.

The promises that Lattanzio has made and not fullfilled and the termination of BAM leading to legal action should be a major concern.

This past month, Mr. Lattanzio and Ms. Groomes were in negotiations with Sony to bring major guests like Orange Range to AX and it fell threw because of their own doing. I think that is one glaring disadvantage that they have is that they can not bring in the guest of honors that AX has had before. I think that is why their are people in ConCom who resign because they saw that and felt like they can do the same quality of work that they have done in prior years.

Last edited by Pocky Pirate on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Azunyanko wrote:

It is true, the CEO has stated that he is 'open for discussion' so if people want, you can email him at [email protected] and he supposedly will discuss his things with you. Hopefully this is true because he made no effort to discuss things with those that resigned.

I'm sure people can e-mail as much as they want. However,

Hollywood corporate culture = entitled execs and their "yes men"
AX culture = passionate volunteers.

Speaking from personal experience in public radio, a staff largely composed of volunteers can create a lot of drama, but there is also a lot of creativity and passion. It doesn't really surprise me that there is a mass exodus. The corporate Hollywood machine is not all that familiar, or skilled at dealing with volunteer based business. It is tricky. IMO, they should have mined the field of public broadcasting for a CEO, since it seems they wanted an entertainment industry exec with the skills to handle an existing fan/volunteer based organization like AX.

As it is, I doubt that the convention will have the same atmosphere as previous ones, because the approach to the event has changed. I'm guessing that the event will be more industry oriented. Hollywood industry. My guess is the event will probably be largely over-budget, but that will be obfuscated by creative accounting. If the attendance is there, that may not be a problem. I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about the results based on prior Hollywood tampering in anime and manga properties.

Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution anyone?
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Azunyanko wrote:
As for the discussions about BAM, look at the guest of honors these past years. Were they really that horrible? I am waiting to see what kind of GoH results that this CEO will get because there are rumors that he has already failed in signing some very big names.

I'm almost certain that BAM was not responsible for booking the guests. BAM is a marketing/publicity agency. It's AX that decides what guests to get and was BAM's job to promote the convention.

teh*darkness wrote:
Oh well, I've never gone to a con, but this news isn't gonna help change that one bit.

PLENTY of other cons out there. 256 other cons, to be precise.
Pocky Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
Azunyanko wrote:
As for the discussions about BAM, look at the guest of honors these past years. Were they really that horrible? I am waiting to see what kind of GoH results that this CEO will get because there are rumors that he has already failed in signing some very big names.

I'm almost certain that BAM was not responsible for booking the guests. BAM is a marketing/publicity agency. It's AX that decides what guests to get and was BAM's job to promote the convention.

To correct you, BAM was AX's connection to the industry. BAM had contacts and why else would Mr. Lattanzio request them? However you are right that AX decides what guest they want. But they relied on BAM to get those guests.

Quote:
Prior to the termination of the contract, Lattanzio reportedly asked BAM! founder Chase Wang during a September 10 meeting for a list of his American and Japanese contacts, which was refused. An official letter written by Wang to Lattanzio at a later date discussed the denial further, citing their sensitive, proprietary nature.

BAM did more than just marketing/publicity. Some of the ideas that came from BAM is AX Backstage which they are still using.
pepper_gray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Question: Are Chase Wang (BAM! Marketing) and Ruby Wang (current director) related in any way? If so I see how this could cause a massive conflict of interest.
StoneBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
pepper_gray wrote:
Question: Are Chase Wang (BAM! Marketing) and Ruby Wang (current director) related in any way? If so I see how this could cause a massive conflict of interest.

No they are NOT related. Check out on wikipedia how common Wang is as a last name. Ruby Wang was actually voted into the BOD by the voting committee unlike the other BOD members.
pepper_gray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I know it is a common last name; that is why I asked.
PMDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
AX is hardly the only con with internal issues. The issues of uncontrolled spending, lack of marketing results, lack of focus and organizational problems affect cons of all sizes.

When it's clear the organization is not going to fix those issues, it's time to walk the walk and get out.

I did just that to the anime con where I've worked for the last 15+ years. There's NO hope of the problems getting fixed. Fine. I'm done.

As I have told many people, I look forward to getting all my weekends back and about a month I used to spend on con stuff every year. It's all mine again. I intend to spend that same con weekend on a beach sipping numerous drinks watching the tide roll in and out, while they are stuck in a smelly con-funked event hotel dealing with the same hassles of every con. That stuff never changes. I won't miss any of it. Smile

Last edited by PMDR on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Confused Ok here's my thoughts; First anytime a new "boss" enters the picture there's going to be DRAMA! I don't care if it's a big corporation or your local McDonalds,and feelings are going to get hurt,feathers ruffled,etc. And while something does smell rotten here,laying all the blame at his feet is rather lame. Yeah he's done some rather questionable things the knee-jerk reactions of those who jumped ship isn't exactly kosher either. Me I'm taking a wait and see atitude and hoping AX 2010 is BETTER. Although I don't like corporate America taking control of ANIME,it might just work out. Time will tell.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
Badkarma 1 wrote:
Confused Ok here's my thoughts; First anytime a new "boss" enters the picture there's going to be DRAMA!

I understand how this turns into a generalization, but it's not true. What a good executive leader does on entering an organization that is succeeding is first learn the ropes themselves. They have been hired to improve performance, and if they are from outside, they don't know yet who and what is producing results and where the best opportunities are for improvement. That takes becoming well acquainted with the managers and key employees--i.e., listening to them, not talking to them--fully researching the financials, talking to vendors and other organizations, etc. I've seen executives take over a company or large division that appeared to do nothing and make no decisions for 4 to 6 weeks after arrival. They weren't being lazy, however. In one case, I swear the guy knew more about the people and the business than I did having been there for two years already.

Once you have a reliable picture of what's actually going on and how the business actually runs (as opposed to what you were told by the Board, which may or may not match reality), then changes are made in two ways: 1.) add support to the areas and people that are getting results, and 2.) reduce support for or entirely eliminate people and programs that are losing money for the company or are materially interfering with those that aren't. If done right, nearly everyone agrees, because it's often what the best people on the ground doing the work have been saying all along. The ones who don't agree were the problem, so them leaving isn't a big loss. And these changes aren't dramatic, but methodical and fully discussed within limits of confidentiality with the employees.

The only time this doesn't work is if you truly have a group that is entirely unwilling to consider change or to accept new leadership. You don't have a choice then in removing dissent and walking forward into a future with new people. However, that is very rarely the case if the new leader takes over in the above fashion.

Of course, if the company is nose-diving, it's an entirely different approach. One has to know the difference and be able to operate in both modes to be an effective executive, though.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Lames wrote:
I'm sorry, but i just don't get this and forgive me if someone already asked this. But why do two different groups need to oversee one event?

SPJA is the parent organization -- the corporation that funds AX. Similarly, Otakorp, Inc. is the parent organization that funds Otakon.

The convention leadership is typically appointed and in both organizations tend to have long-serving staff in those roles. Their job is to run the con itself, whereas SPJA and Otakorp both have broader missions beyond putting on the con. SPJA's mission is to "popularize and educate the American public about anime and manga, as well as provide a forum to facilitate communication between professionals and fans." Otakorp's is to "promote the appreciation of Asian culture, primarily through its media and entertainment". SPJA has yearly industry awards, and technically AX is a trade show. Otakorp sponsors film festivals, including the one at the Smithsonian during the National Cherry Blossom Festival, and technically Otakon is the annual meeting of members of Otakorp.

So that's a bit of background on two big cons and the two orgs that sponsor them. Similar agendas, but definitely differences in culture.

Before I say any more, be clear that I'm speaking personally and NOT on behalf of any organization.

As others have alluded, a few years ago most of the senior staff threatened a walkout because they felt the board had failed them. They cited, among other things, the failure to hire a CEO, the closed nature of the BOD, and the lingering open board positions. Since their board had all control over the direction of their activities -- primarily AX -- this was a HUGE problem when the majority of staff were dissatisfied with the board. A new board was put in place and there have been (at least to the outside world) quite a few positive moves to address those concerns, including improving transparency and hiring a CEO. It's a very different board now, and how they interact with other cons has also changed in positive ways. I do not, however, think it's unfair to say that AX/SPJA has had more than its share of public drama, and deep divisions among various power bases.

By contrast (and without judgement on merits), Otakorp's rules require that its elected officers and board come from voting membership, and to get a vote you must be an active staffer. And our officers and BOD are term-limited -- even though many of the same faces are around for years at a stretch, they leadership changes hands every year. Further, there are no paid positions, either in the elected board or among our division heads (we call 'em section chiefs). Finally, there is a fairly clear path to redress unpopular decisions, and in practice most of our big decisions are raised with the entire voting membership. That does not appear to have been the case with SPJA, and is clearly not the case under the new CEO, whose leadership style doesn't appear to satisfy most of the long-serving senior staff.

Honestly, this situation is a mess for everyone -- it's legally tricky and built on lots of he-said-she-said stuff, and I doubt anyone has a good sense of all that's going on behind the scenes. Rumors are flying all over, and it's impossible to rule out bias because so many people have been forced to choose sides.

I really, really worry that AX could collapse -- and you might think "well that means Otakon would benefit since it's the next biggest show", but there isn't THAT much industry left to throw money around in the first place, and worse, a collapsing AX leaves itself open to takeover (or replacement) by Reed (NYAF, NYCC, and essentially a trade show giant with deep pockets) or ComicCon International's management. Which, in either case, has implications that will be felt throughout fandom.

Worse, the failure of a major event will generate a LOT of bad repercussions for other events, because it could shake the confidence of industry partners and give the impression that the industry itself is even worse off than it really is.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, there are people out west who've put significant amounts of their lives into the con -- and this is hideous and painful stuff for them. It's essentially Civil War in that organization right now and my heart goes out to them.

Make no mistake -- if AX self-destructs, we'll all feel the hurt.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
milkmandan wrote:

If the BoD knew he was high profile and that he would have webbed-feet for international travel. Why not tell him ahead of time that he would need to fly economy?
That's the issue. I can't blame Lattanzio for buying Business class if he knew, or thought he was going to be reimbursed for it. It is up to the BOD to keep a leash on him.. and it is up to them to look at his reimbursement request and say, "No way in Hell we will pay this. We will reimburse for a Economy class. You pick up the tab for the remaining portion."

But the fact that they reimbursed him for the full amount means that they OK'd his actions... opening the door for future transgressions
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
milkmandan wrote:

If the BoD knew he was high profile and that he would have webbed-feet for international travel. Why not tell him ahead of time that he would need to fly economy?
That's the issue. I can't blame Lattanzio for buying Business class if he knew, or thought he was going to be reimbursed for it. It is up to the BOD to keep a leash on him.. and it is up to them to look at his reimbursement request and say, "No way in Hell we will pay this. We will reimburse for a Economy class. You pick up the tab for the remaining portion."

But the fact that they reimbursed him for the full amount means that they OK'd his actions... opening the door for future transgressions

I wouldn't get distracted by that issue, folks. He might well be entitled to a specific budget for travel, to spend as he wishes -- especially if he's not getting a lot of raw compensation or a typically lucrative benefits package. If it was part of the agreement, it may have been seen as a worthy trade-off. And MANY companies require business class for corporate travel over a certain number of hours, even if they demand domestic flights be economy.

At any rate, disputing a relatively small amount of money like this ($20k out of a $2M budget, I'd guess) doesn't address the larger issues being argued about by their staff.

That said, I would have traded that plush flight for some credibility capital, if I were him. I've traveled to Japan on Otakon business several times, but (aside from a lucky airline upgrade) always economy class, which is extra fun when you're 6'5 and over 250 lbs. After ANA upgraded my return flight one year, I began plotting where i could come up with extra cash for the upgrade. (In the end I couldn't justify it out of my own pocket or out of the con's.)

I agree it sends a bad message to avail yourself of a luxury perk when your organization's facing tough times (and especially when your staff are all volunteers) but pretending it's a huge deal makes this seem like a petty, provincial complaint -- and that one incident of questionable judgement isn't worth a walkout.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Pirate wrote:

This past month, Mr. Lattanzio and Groomes were in negotiations with Sony to bring major guests like Orange Range to AX and it fell threw because of their own doing. I think that is one glaring disadvantage that they have is that they can not bring in the guest of honors that AX has had before. I think that is why their are people in ConCom who resign because they saw that and felt like they can do the same quality of work that they have done in prior years.
That is exactly the issue... I know some people from ConCom and the problem they have is that by this time last year, there was a list of GoH ready for them to organize the logistics of their travel and stay for AX. This year,, as of today, not a single person has been booked and revealed to ConCom, much less the public.
From what I hear, they get NO information, which is the frustration that caused the walk-out. It's not the direction, not the leadership, it's that the CEO and BoD are purposely withholding information, making it impossible for Div Heads and Dept Heads to do their jobs.

I don't know if this was brought up, but in a meeting where the Div Heads questioned the CEO and his visits to Japan, he responded that he met with hundreds of industry professionals, in the course of ten days. That is ambitious. One of the industry personnel whom he met was Akira Kurosawa. That is where the trust in management went.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
Pocky Pirate wrote:

This past month, Mr. Lattanzio and Groomes were in negotiations with Sony to bring major guests like Orange Range to AX and it fell threw because of their own doing. I think that is one glaring disadvantage that they have is that they can not bring in the guest of honors that AX has had before. I think that is why their are people in ConCom who resign because they saw that and felt like they can do the same quality of work that they have done in prior years.
That is exactly the issue... I know some people from ConCom and the problem they have is that by this time last year, there was a list of GoH ready for them to organize the logistics of their travel and stay for AX. This year,, as of today, not a single person has been booked and revealed to ConCom, much less the public.
From what I hear, they get NO information, which is the frustration that caused the walk-out. It's not the direction, not the leadership, it's that the CEO and BoD are purposely withholding information, making it impossible for Div Heads and Dept Heads to do their jobs.

I don't know if this was brought up, but in a meeting where the Div Heads questioned the CEO and his visits to Japan, he responded that he met with hundreds of industry professionals, in the course of ten days. That is ambitious. One of the industry personnel whom he met was Akira Kurosawa. That is where the trust in management went.

I can directly confirm that Lattanzio did state to a Japanese representative that he met Akira Kurosawa and when the representative stated to the CEO that Kurosawa had already passed on, he changed his story to meeting Kurosawa's brother.

The information flow is really horrible. It is true he has already made many people resign and to the staffers that are confused about the situation, he is trying to turn everyone toward him. The following is an excerpt from an email he sent to staff "Our position is simple, we will not operate in fear of those who desire to cause drama and fabricate fiction." No respect and very bad attitude.

Apparently right now, Lattanzio is trying to prevent a walkout by contacting the remaining assistant managers of departments without division heads and dangling the division manager job in front of them... with many of then unknowing why their division manager resigned in the first place because information flow is restricted by him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8