• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StoneBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:

If this is the typical structure of the con, (staffing by folks who aren't actually passionate about anime and what the con can do to help support it, but simply as a favor to key managers) it seems like the entire event could be crippled by a minor disagreement if the right people were involved. :/ Even ignoring the new CEO, this issue would have needed reform eventually.

It's normal behavior to grow out of "hobbies" especially something like anime. Or the interest is just not as high as it use to be when it was "fresh and new". But it doesn't change the fact that if you work with a group of people for so long, you want to come back to AX to spend time with these people. I've known plenty of departments that run this way. AX is a time to spend with a group of people you may rarely see and working on something that is nostalgic or still enjoyable. I still love anime, but to be honest the con in general is overall boring to me. How much junk can one buy after one spend thousands at the exhibit hall after all these years?

The fact is people still support the meaning behind the con which is to spread the joy of anime/manga and that doesn't change no matter how boring the con may be to someone that's seen it plenty of times, as an attendee and a staffer. Even if we have disagreements between departments and divisions, it never cripples us that we cannot host a convention. Those disagreements are usually over budget, what to spend money on, new ideas or events to consider, new systems to look into, all attempts to improve the con. You cannot claim our staffers ignored this CEO. They clearly DID try to work things out with him but he obviously doesn't know what our organization stands for and the type of people that support it.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Anime-Expo has a rise in attendance this year, maybe it was small, but you also didn't have any big name company in your exhibit hall (ie. BanDai, Funimation, Viz, etc... get where I'm going at here?). It seems like these companies feel that AX is second tier to the San Diego Comic-Con, maybe more, which Viz and TokyoPOP did have booths at.
This has more to do with the state of the economy and the companies than the con itself. Viz/TP only have their super booth at a couple of cons a year and it is always the ones with a manga focus. In that way, AX is very second fiddle to Comic-con and always will be. Bandai was sharing or without a booth at most cons last year. FUNi had a booth in '09.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:

I don't know if this was brought up, but in a meeting where the Div Heads questioned the CEO and his visits to Japan, he responded that he met with hundreds of industry professionals, in the course of ten days. That is ambitious. One of the industry personnel whom he met was Akira Kurosawa. That is where the trust in management went.

Okay, I might have been hard on Lattanzio. If he was able to pull off that one, then I'd have no problem paying for business class.

Maybe he could get Frank Sinatra to do the concert? It's a little "old school", but I think it'd be a nice touch of class for AX Laughing

Quote:
And I can confirm that they are contacting all the Managers and Asst managers. I was with my friend when he got the call. At first, they offered him the DIv head job, and when he refused, they questioned his loyalty. He hesitated to affirm his commitment to SPJA/AX, and they "let him go".

Okay, that's just weird.

"Hey, do you want your boss's job? NO? Well now, we're not too sure about your loyalty to the organization and are going to have to let you go..."

Two little items of interest here. If the travel was part of Lattanzio's contract, as many have alluded to, then the issue would have been put to rest by the BoD or by Lattanzio himself, when he was asked about it. That's not what happened, and unless it's in the contract, it's not considered to be a "CEO perk". Perks are defined in the contract, which BTW are viewable in CA since it's a non-profit.

The other item is this. The "loyalty tests" are a good way to lose those who are loyal to you. If true, then when stuff like this gets passed as RUMINT to the rest of the staff, you'll see them scrambling to another ship. I've lost count of the times I've seen or studied the phenomenon in other organizations.

Here's a little hint if you're ever in a situation like this. The best way to deal with a situation where there's a lot of drama involved is to not add any additional drama to it.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Here's a little hint if you're ever in a situation like this. The best way to deal with a situation where there's a lot of drama involved is to not add any additional drama to it.

This is true if and only if your aims are widely or generally held to be desirable by the other people in the situation.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to pull some sort of selfish stunt, drama is your friend: it distracts from the issues at hand and redirects attention onto personalities, ideally personalities other than your own.

"Let's you and him fight". Basic stuff, really.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
haha... that would only be true if they dealers had already signed a contract to come.

From what I hear, cost for dealers have gone up due to the great negotiation and business skills of the CEO, so now, the dealers hall may even se a drop in participation from small mom/pop shops.
SyncLok

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
haha... that would only be true if they dealers had already signed a contract to come.

From what I hear, cost for dealers have gone up due to the great negotiation and business skills of the CEO, so now, the dealers hall may even se a drop in participation from small mom/pop shops.

Umm...

Is the pricing even up yet for 2010 exhibitor's booths? The web site still has the 2009 pdf links.

Who specifically are you hearing this from? The vague "from what I hear" rumors do not clarify or help the situation in any way.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
The pricing for the exhibitor booths will be up when the final contracts are ready. Its not good to speculate about the possibility of increased prices until they are actually posted. I hope that many exhibitors will return to AX next year once this tough situation with the CEO has passed on and things have settled down. I am hoping for a good resolution to the problem.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
SyncLok wrote:

Who specifically are you hearing this from? The vague "from what I hear" rumors do not clarify or help the situation in any way.
I used to be staff, and I still get emails sent out to staff.

And even though it's not "official", but it is from an official source.

I also have a lot of friends who still are staff, so we talk.
SevenMagpies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:

And a lot of that talk probably shouldn't make it onto a widely-read forum.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
SevenMagpies wrote:
BladeBraver wrote:

And a lot of that talk probably shouldn't make it onto a widely-read forum.

Don't see why not. I don't know who BladeBraver or you are? There is no reason for you all not to talk about it. It is this threads topic.

It does seem like a major matter for the West Coast, and it may have a great effect on this year's Con.
SevenMagpies

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Oh no, I think a lot of this should be discussed publicly--all the more pressure on the people at AX to resolve this quickly. But some information/rumors/details/whatever being aired could damage the convention no matter how this turns out.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
The convention as it was, is no longer. It remains to be seen what sort of convention this new CEO will bring.

The walkout will achieve nothing. The new CEO seems to be conducting a hostile takeover, and removing all those that are not loyal to him. As such, he will not care one iota what anyone thinks of it.

The best bet for the anime expo dissidents is to create their own new Con, and see who fields the better experience.

The bridges are already burned, so there is really no reason not to talk about it.
Azunyanko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The convention as it was, is no longer. It remains to be seen what sort of convention this new CEO will bring.

The walkout will achieve nothing. The new CEO seems to be conducting a hostile takeover, and removing all those that are not loyal to him. As such, he will not care one iota what anyone thinks of it.

The best bet for the anime expo dissidents is to create their own new Con, and see who fields the better experience.

The bridges are already burned, so there is really no reason not to talk about it.

Unless the CEO is terminated.
Superwoman12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8