• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Majin DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
^^ They're who you were talking about? Sorry, but I wouldn't have ever thought of them as being who you were talking about. I assumed you were referring to the main cast. Not a one-shot bad guy and a minor recurring character. You may be right about them being fodder for slash fanfic. (It certainly doesn't take much for a slash fanfic writer to be inspired.) However you might want to know that by series end {spoiler for second band member} spoiler[ the surviving band member seems to me to be paired up with a female character he meets in the second half of the series.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
^^ They're who you were talking about? Sorry, but I wouldn't have ever thought of them as being who you were talking about. I assumed you were referring to the main cast. Not a one-shot bad guy and a minor recurring character. You may be right about them being fodder for slash fanfic. (It certainly doesn't take much for a slash fanfic writer to be inspired.) However you might want to know that by series end {spoiler for second band member} spoiler[ the surviving band member seems to me to be paired up with a female character he meets in the second half of the series.]

Ooooooooh, them! Yeah, I thought you were talking about Tatsuma and Kyouichi too, the two male leads, and there's...nothing really canon in that. You'd have to be a certain kind of fangirl to spin that particular friendship into something more.

The two rocker boys, yeah, I can see that. It is a one or two episode deal, though, and spoiler["Lightning head" does end up with one of the Martial Fist women at the end,] but I think the "crow boy" (Ryouichi! Wow, why do I remember his name and not the other guy's?) probably had some deep-seated feelings for his bandmate for him to go as crazy as he did.
seryass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
Whenever BL is mentioned in conjunction with this series it's because of Tatsuma and Kyouichi (ie: the two main male characters).

From what I've read it's mainly because of the openings, the way Kyouichi treats Aoi in comparrison to Tatsuma as well as the ending spoiler[in which Kyouichi goes off looking for Tatsuma]

Personally I've never watched all of the anime but in terms of the BL slashing there is a blatant cause and that's the game that the anime is based on.

Having played the game which had a very interesting story as well as half the cast cut out of the anime there aren't just hints of BL there's a full blown confession.

It's a strategy/dating game in the same vein of Sakura Wars but more like the Summon Night series in terms of the dating aspect. In the game you play the role of Tatsuma who can get endings with each of the 24 characters that join you (and yes like the Summon Night series that includes male and female characters). Most of the male endings are clearly platonic. The best friend type of ending whilst all the female endings are obviously romantic. However there are two exceptions.

Kyouichi's ending involves him confessing his love to Tatsuma complete with CG picture (most characters aren't so lucky to get a CG ending - even all the girls don't). I personally get the impression that the creators of the anime were including slash scenes that the fans of the game could pick up on. Of course it doesn't help that one of the other characters that joins you in the game, Kirishima (cut from the anime), also has a crush on Kyouichi begging to call him Kyouichi-senpai whilst the idol singer he is a bodyguard for (Sayaka - again cut from the anime) has a crush on Kirishima.

Kirishima's ending also implies BL in that he is settling for second best since he cannot win the affections of Kyouichi.

Other characters also have been vastly changed in terms of backstory for the anime. spoiler[Marie would be the main victim of this. Unlike the anime Marie is not a psychopath and actually belongs to a cult that kidnap Aoi and Maria. Aoi befriends her and she escapes with the heroes and joins them. She becomes very fond of Aoi looking up to her as a big sister and the same applies to Tatsuma too].

Also the game has vastly different character designs to the anime. I really don't like the way they changed Kyouichi and Marie's designs and much prefer them in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2