• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thoughts Of read or Die

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kainzero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
OVA -
I watched the OVA, however, my friend brought over some HK bootlegs so I'm not entirely sure if I got a good translation.
Moreover, me and this friend tend to make multitudes of jokes, so the overall experience was probably lessened when we were laughing about subtitles like
"South Korea does not reply"
and
"What happen?"

I'd probably have to watch it again to give it a fair review, but in all honesty, it was merely okay. The concept was cool, but I just didn't think too much of it.

As far as Manga, I don't think there is an ROD Manga from which the OVA spawned from. I do know there is a Read or Dream Manga, which deals with the relationship between Yomiko and her then student Nenene.

The TV series is somewhat of a conundrum. I loved it, but I can readily acknowledge its flaws. The action, IMO, is top notch and even better than the OVA series. I also really liked the character development between the three sisters and Nenene.
Unfortunately, I thought the end... or rather, the last two episodes were a bit rushed and there are still a lot of missing pieces to the many plotlines. It even seems like they planned things that never reached their full potential. Furthermore, I thought that the villains simply weren't developed as much and I didn't really find a great reason to dislike them. At the most, all I could keep thinking about was how hot Wendy was =P but the villains just weren't... there.

Still, I thought that it was phenomenal =P I can watch a lot of those action sequences over and over...
Lazuright

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
I have not seen the movie, but i own the first 3 volumes and they are great! i recomend the series.
Spintii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought the OAV was excellent. I love the crazy, off the wall anime action and character designs.

The series however, I felt was lame and boring when compared to the OAV. They tried to please fans of the manga "Read or Dream" and fans of "Read or Die" (which is why the series is technically called R.O.D) but instead all we end up with is non stop lame anime jokes of "WHAAAA? Who are you calling a sleepyhead? WHAAAA? Who are you calling old" and uniteresting side plots of a "Three's Company" variety. Cmon where the #$%! are my giant robot insects!!!
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:

As far as Manga, I don't think there is an ROD Manga from which the OVA spawned from. I do know there is a Read or Dream Manga, which deals with the relationship between Yomiko and her then student Nenene.

This is where it gets confusing. The original manga is Read or Die. This deals with both Yomiko and Nenene. The OVA is based off of this manga. Read or Dream is the sequel manga, which deals with the Paper Sisters, which is the basis for R.O.D. the TV.

Spintii wrote:
They tried to please fans of the manga "Read or Dream" and fans of "Read or Die" (which is why the series is technically called R.O.D)
Both of the manga have the abbreviation R.O.D. on the cover.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
The original manga is Read or Die.

The manga itself is an adaptation from the novel, illustrated by Taraku Uon. Ah, I just love her cute character designs. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I love ROD. OVA and TV series, it doesnt matter. So fasr I've got the OA and 4 volumes of the TV series, with Vol 5 coming out TOMORROW ^^. Im quite stoked for it.
VEry engaging characters, a unique perspective on the action/superheroine theme and plently of good music and even better artwork. My favorite character is of course Yomiko Readman, but Im quickly warming up to Michelle from ROD TV. she's just as funny and cute IMO. Little Anita is funny as hell.
The action scenes in both OVA and TV series are incredible. I definitely recommend this show to action fans and even shoujo fans, because there is plenty of character development and interaction, sometimes taking whole episodes to explore certain characters and saving action for later times. I really doubt anyone will get bored with ROD TV though, and it sometimes gets surprisingly violent and bloody (but not that often, mostly episode 9)
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Thankx guys i am going to give the show a try sometime in the next month i will keep you posted.
jagozon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
I liked the OVA,but i was confused at the end

spoiler[spoiler[ did miss Deep die at the end?and if she did who was the Paper talking to at the end? was it the clone? ]]

Last edited by jagozon on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
jagozon wrote:
I liked the OVA,but i was confused at the end

spoiler[did miss Deep die at the end?and if she did who was the Paper talking to at the end? was it the clone? ] Confused

Why did you turn BBCode and Smilies off?! This turned the spoiler tag effect off as well. Mad

Anyway, spoiler[there are two clones of Miss Deep. The original ("good" one) won the hand-to-hand duel but decided to stay on the rocket with Ikkyu, while the newer clone ("bad" one, refered by the former as "my younger sister" and asked Yomiko to take care of her) lost and suffered brain damage due to suffocation in water but survived, along with Ikkyu's child in her uterus. Her and her son's stories continue in the TV series.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jagozon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
o sorry,
im new at this,
Thanks,I get it now. Wink
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Anyway, spoiler[there are two clones of Miss Deep. The original ("good" one) won the hand-to-hand duel but decided to stay on the rocket with Ikkyu, while the newer clone ("bad" one, refered by the former as "my younger sister" and asked Yomiko to take care of her) lost and suffered brain damage due to suffocation in water but survived, along with Ikkyu's child in her uterus. Her and her son's stories continue in the TV series.]

I had a thought about the message:

spoiler[Are you sure that the "good" Ms. Deep didn't mean to "take care of her"? As in, well, push her off a cliff or something?

I mean, how was the "good" Ms. Deep supposed to know that the "bad" Ms. Deep would get aphyxsia? Confused ]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:

spoiler[
I mean, how was the "good" Ms. Deep supposed to know that the "bad" Ms. Deep would get aphyxsia? Confused ]

spoiler[She didn't, but she definately meant take care of her in a good way. Nancy knew that Yumiko wouldn't do something like "push her off a cliff" even if she was the "bad" Nancy. The way Yumiko sees things, Nancy is Nancy, clone #2 with a different personality or not. ]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:

spoiler[

spoiler[She didn't, but she definately meant take care of her in a good way. Nancy knew that Yumiko wouldn't do something like "push her off a cliff" even if she was the "bad" Nancy. The way Yumiko sees things, Nancy is Nancy, clone #2 with a different personality or not. ]

spoiler[Don't forget: to "take care of someone", in the sense of killing them or otherwise getting rid of them, is an English idiom. In Japanese, similar euphemisms exist, but the phrase that corresponds to "please take care of X", ( X を守ってなさい ), invariably means "please protect X".

However, that's not what Nancy actually says. The note is quite clearly visible in The Paper's hand (about 31 minutes into episode 3), and it says: 妹をお願い (imouto wo onegai, literally "request for little sister"). It is typical shorthand Japanese, and the intent is clearly: "I entrust my little sister to you".]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2