• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Ru-ins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I do agree with Erin even though I kinda wish El Cazador went into the perishable. Witch Hunter Robin did a better job with that type of storyline...

Assuming that by better one means darker and angstier. It was just as slow and I predicted the shocking revelation at the end based on a couple of lines from the first episode. Cazador at least managed some light humor, while WHR wallowed in its noir-ish atmosphere.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Light humor is good, unless the same joke is repeated ad nauseam, like the Amigo Tacos song.

The only thing that's funny in the show is Miss Hayward.
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Almaz wrote:
I do agree with Erin even though I kinda wish El Cazador went into the perishable. Witch Hunter Robin did a better job with that type of storyline...

Assuming that by better one means darker and angstier. It was just as slow and I predicted the shocking revelation at the end based on a couple of lines from the first episode. Cazador at least managed some light humor, while WHR wallowed in its noir-ish atmosphere.

I was referring to the story spoiler[of creating true witches ]. Witch Hunter Robin did a better job. Out of all of the Bee Train I have seen (Noir, Madlax, El Cazador, and Phantom) El Cazador was the weakest. I was just expecting more out of El Cazador, and it did not happen. El Cazador, while having character development, could have been just two ladies out on a journey. spoiler[The witch storyline seemed like something just thrown in just to spice it up.] That's all. I guess perishable is too harsh. I watched it all on Funimation network, but I would not buy it. It is one of those watch once and never again for me.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a time long ago when I rented anime indiscriminately from the local video store to watch with my friends. In those days, I felt lucky if the show had no tentacle rape.

HAHAHA those were the good old days, when everything was on vhs tape and all anime was divided between the "kids" and "ADULTS ONLY" sections in Blockbuster, so you felt like a pervert either way xD
No, wait, those weren't good old days at all...
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
The review got me curious, so I decided to check out the ToLoveRu opener. The series itself obviously, like so much anime these days, is not one I'd be interested in. Blatant fanservice aside, I didn't find it too bad at first. It definitely didn't seem low budget to me, and it actually seemed fairly creative at first. Of course, after about 20 seconds the creativity lost its luster, and the redundancy got old quite fast. This wasn't helped by the song, which was painfully repetitive itself, to the point I could hardly bear to listen to it any longer by the mid-point.

If it was a short opener, I would say it was clever. I will give in that the art quality was decent, so it didn't have a low budget feel to it. Rather it was repetitive, painfully so actually, and the people who wrote and scripted it obviously only managed one dose of creativity for the whole process, as it relied on that one single theme and style repeating itself for a minute and a half, which is way too long for something like that. So after the "Hey, that's an interesting way of doing it" moment passed, I would say that was a pretty crap intro, though I don't think budget had anything to do with it.

On a side note, if anyone else is bias towards Mahjong, you may want to check out the book "Thirteen Orphans" by Jane Lindskold. It's the first book in a series, of which two have been released, and mahjong actually plays a large role in the magic and legend of the story. Just a recommendation for those that have such a bias or interest in the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

On a side note, if anyone else is bias towards Mahjong, you may want to check out the book "Thirteen Orphans" by Jane Lindskold. It's the first book in a series, of which two have been released, and mahjong actually plays a large role in the magic and legend of the story. Just a recommendation for those that have such a bias or interest in the game.

Sweet, added to my Plan to Read list. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4