• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen to Print 350K of Twilight Graphic Novel in March

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Gross, This makes me think less of yen press.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Its interesting to see Yen Press pick this up, but I guess its not entirely surprising given their small OEL push thus far. Anyway, here's hoping its decent. So many of these adaptions are really awful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Only way I want to see Twilight is the ELO song on the Daicon IV video.

This.

If anything, it should be a net improvement over the book. There are likely to be decent visuals (shoujo fare, I'd presume) and you won't have to read Meyer's writing.

While I found Vampire Knight to be complete and utter tripe, the boy-eats-girl parts were actually pretty compelling, possibly even "authentic".
care2care

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh...This was bound to happen. Everyone wants to make bank off Twilight and now its the manga scene's time. (Note that I meant Twilight and not other vampire related series. ie Trinity Blood, Hellsing, Vassalord, etc)

I read the whole series and well, its pretty bad. Actually, it gets progressively worse with each book. The last one topping in overall stupidity. (read the synopsis, you'll understand) It's pure generic fantasy of no notable value or meaning and yet it's a cash cow in the public eye. (oi vey, society). Course its a self-conscience teen girl's dream come true, hence it's popularity.

I liked Meyer's other book "The Host." I found it more exciting than Twilight....she still writes like she's in the sixth grade though.

Will this even attract more audiences to the anime/manga world? I mean, they might just only read Twilight manga and never touch another series afterwards.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
care2care wrote:
Will this even attract more audiences to the anime/manga world? I mean, they might just only read Twilight manga and never touch another series afterwards.

Possibly. There may be a little bit of bleed over, since there's so many romance titles. Personally, I'd think Twilight fans would like Special A, since it's the same time of borderline creepy relationship, just in a comedy setting.
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
wicked86 wrote:
Well, I hate Twilight and I thought it was finally starting die a little bit, but I guess not.
Yen Press however does put out quite a few manga that I personally enjoy...
So whatever, gets the company a little extra income to keep releasing quality manga.

And that's exactly the point. Yen Press is riding on Twilight's coattails because it's a sound business move to help it stay _in_ business and to allow it to continue to print manga titles that otaku really want and enjoy.

The Naked Beast wrote:

I am sick and tired of hearing about Twilight this and Twilight that. I love how the vampire trend have practically taken over mainstream media.

Since we're dissing on the Twilight franchise so much, can we at least place credit for putting bloodsuckers in the media spotlight (at least in kinda-sorta recent times) where it belongs? Not with Steph Meyer, but with Mr. Win Incarnate, Joss Whedon?

Have we forgotten about Buffy Summers and the "Scooby gang" from Sunnydale, CA already? *sigh* I weep for today's youth.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
...to continue refusing to help fund this franchise, or to possibly open some friend's eyes to 'manga' in a way that would actually spark an interest... my morals are VERY conflicted at the moment...
Spread the manga love. Search your heart, you know this to be the best path.

care2care wrote:
It's pure generic fantasy of no notable value or meaning and yet it's a cash cow in the public eye. (oi vey, society).
Maybe that's why people loved it?

Personally, I cannot get past vampires that sparkle in sunlight. (It's the skin of a killer!) At the same time though, I don't outright hate the series. It's not something I love but I can understand the appeal of a pure fantasy. (I like harem anime for crying out loud, I'd BETTER be willing to accept generic fantasy of no notable vlaue or meaning!)

To be entertaining, a story doesn't have to have any value or meaning. It just has to make you forget for a few moments how much the world, your life or whatever sucks. Apparently for a lot of people, Twilight does the trick.

care2care wrote:
Even if only 5% of those who buy it get into other anime/manga, you're still talking about potentially 17500 new fans, assuming that every copy of the first print run of this sold to a single person. (Big assumption maybe but not too far off either.)

That's a lot of people. Heck, that's enough to make a lot of failing manga series successful.

Even just an extra couple of thousand new fans would be a good thing and well-worth our putting up with a Twilight manga, anime or anything else. The industry here is suffering, lets get some new blood in! Let's stop trying to isolate ourselves and keep out the masses!

Besides, I like yangire fangirls! Crazy turns me on. Twisted Evil
DPX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
machetecat wrote:
...to continue refusing to help fund this franchise, or to possibly open some friend's eyes to 'manga' in a way that would actually spark an interest... my morals are VERY conflicted at the moment...
Spread the manga love. Search your heart, you know this to be the best path.

care2care wrote:
It's pure generic fantasy of no notable value or meaning and yet it's a cash cow in the public eye. (oi vey, society).
Maybe that's why people loved it?

Personally, I cannot get past vampires that sparkle in sunlight. (It's the skin of a killer!) At the same time though, I don't outright hate the series. It's not something I love but I can understand the appeal of a pure fantasy. (I like harem anime for crying out loud, I'd BETTER be willing to accept generic fantasy of no notable vlaue or meaning!)

To be entertaining, a story doesn't have to have any value or meaning. It just has to make you forget for a few moments how much the world, your life or whatever sucks. Apparently for a lot of people, Twilight does the trick.

care2care wrote:
Even if only 5% of those who buy it get into other anime/manga, you're still talking about potentially 17500 new fans, assuming that every copy of the first print run of this sold to a single person. (Big assumption maybe but not too far off either.)

That's a lot of people. Heck, that's enough to make a lot of failing manga series successful.

Even just an extra couple of thousand new fans would be a good thing and well-worth our putting up with a Twilight manga, anime or anything else. The industry here is suffering, lets get some new blood in! Let's stop trying to isolate ourselves and keep out the masses!

Besides, I like yangire fangirls! Crazy turns me on. Twisted Evil

But what if the blood is tainted? Perhaps we are the proverbial white blood cells that are simply trying to stop the plague before it starts! Very Happy
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Dmysta3000 wrote:
Well at least now the sparkly vampires wont look as stupid anymore Laughing

By the way, seeing as all these book series are becoming manga now, where the hell is my Harry Potter manga!!?? Evil or Very Mad

Agreed.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I hate Twilight, and I honestly don't care about the possible profits Yes Press could get for releasing a manwha/manga version. There are other series that can get a person interested in manga. Besides, why do some of you people want manga/anime to become extremely popular? I honestly like that it's a niche. It only matters that I like anime. Isn't that what matters? That you like it? Why should everyone else like what you like? The world doesn't always work that way.

Secondly, whether the artwork is good or not, that still doesn't change the quality of the story, which is garbage. Twilght sucks no matter what. I can't wait for this series to fall into obscurity. Meyer destroyed the image of vampires.

I think any fan wants to see the things they love or like do well. Also niche can only support a company so far. With niche, you always have to be moving and looking for the next thing that can bring in money and support a company once the older product saturates into the market and levels out or dies out. Making each venture having a level of risk to them when you seek to license them. You can argue that's why some US anime companies died out because they didn't have a product they could fall back on for revenue cause the were too niche with their catalog.

Honestly, even if this venture goes well for Yen Press, I hope they DON'T go out and get a bunch more titles licensed. They should continue at the pace they are at now but feel more comfortable with this product bringing in more revenue. Nothing worst then them getting a nice chunk of change from this and then blowing it all away on titles that won't give them a good return with the end result is them losing money like ADV. They should continue to carefully anaylze what to license and bring over to the US and not get too reckless with their money.

Also like someone else pointed out, it's a bit ridicules for us Otakus to be so criticial of other fandoms. And really, are sparkling vampires (they sparkle right?) any different from the shojo rose pellets or flowery moe girl?

Also don't we already have a Harry Potter Manga AKA Negima?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Anything to do with Twilight automatically sucks, but I guess a manga adaptation would be better than the books and movies. As in, I'm much more likely to read them, but I still won't. (This topic really belongs in Off-Topic).

It's obvious that they are publishing this to get some attention, so that their sales for other stuff will go up.
AoiHonou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, the artwork is good. But the storyline?

Now how can the story of an self-proclaimed unattractive girl, a sparkling vampire stalker and hunk werewolf compete with:

1. A vampire princess and an ordinary glasses-boy that has the blood of a natural-born assassin?
2. A gun-toting vampire in a red suit versus a dual-wielding sword priest.
3. Another gun-toting vampire using a sniper rifle.
4. A vampire girl, a succubus, an ice queen, and two witches getting mushy over with an ordinary boy.
5. A loli vampire.

Well at least Twilight joined the Manga industry. I really doubt if the fanbase of the hunks over the movie will carry over to this manga in March.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
AoiHonou wrote:

Well at least Twilight joined the Manga industry. I really doubt if the fanbase of the hunks over the movie will carry over to this manga in March.

Thanks for this expert prediction but as of right now the Twilight manga is already the #4 bestselling book on Amazon.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
Hehe, there you have it, Twilight haters! Anime smile
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Personally I don't care about Twilight one way or the other, but I kind of wish Yen Press well with this enterprise, as if it's a huge success for them it may well help subsidise them in licensing many manga series which have previously been seen as too much of a financial risk to licence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5