• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
omoikane wrote:
A lot of people don't like to watch streaming video if they could get their hands on a DVD. just from my personal experience.

Shell out $20-30 dollars for a singles release with no extras instead of getting the same experience online for free? Yeah that makes sense Rolling Eyes

Extras seem to depend on the show, as Sentai's releases of Neo Angelique Abyss have a good number of extras to them, and even stuff like Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden had the always cool "Making of" video extra.

Nice way to overgeneralize without making sure it's true beforehand.

Nice reading comprehension there buddy, you seem to forget that the MAJORITY of their releases don't have extras i.e. notes, trailers etc. And as you clearly stated "extras depend on the show" as someone who knows most of Gintama's dvd releases comes with minimal to no extras
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
God dammit I hate Sentai Filmworks. I've waited a long time for someone to license and dub Gintama and of all companies they had to license it?!!! If Gintama doesn't get a dub I hope they go bankrupt. Worthless sub only company. Can't they ,just once, dub something?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Count me among the surprised that Asatte no Houkou is showing up over here. I always thought it'd be considered too slow-paced/boring to be marketable. And hey, being able to watch the show in 16:9 instead of the cropped 4:3 broadcast version, and getting subtitles where I don't have to play the "reading the outlines" game are both big pluses. Before anyone asks, spoiler[ I never bothered to DL the DVD-source fansub version. Heard bad things about the sub writing/editing.]

omoikane wrote:
A lot of people don't like to watch streaming video if they could get their hands on a DVD. just from my personal experience.
Same here, I'd rather have DVD or even just DTV over streaming quality. Not to mention other advantages of DVD subtitles over CR subs, like translated OP/ED, better typesetting (from [ADV] releases, anyway), and none of CR's retarded subtitle line-breaking.

And at least this shows that "streaming on CR" is not equivalent to "never going to come out on R1DVD."
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Shell out $20-30 dollars for a singles release with no extras instead of getting the same experience online for free? Yeah that makes sense Rolling Eyes

1. Well, in this case, it's a boxset, not singles.
2. Actually, this is the case for plenty of people, myself included. I don't like to watch streaming video unless it's to preview a show. I rather watch it on TV via channels (Anime Network on Demand, Adult Swim, Disney Anime hyper for the sake of Shippuden) or DVD. That, and it's a lot quicker at 7am to place in a DVD or press a few buttons on the remote than it is to take out my laptop and wait for it to load just to watch one episode of an anime before going to work or school.

I, myself, don't care about extras - as long as the artwork is nice, the show is awesome, and the subtitles are not littered with errors, I'm a very satisfied customer.

So other words you're too lazy sit on a screen for two minutes and would rather pay for a half-assed product because you can see it on tv, geez...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
HELL YEAH GINTAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I'm perfectly fine with a sub-only release since dubbing this monster would be a royal pain in the butt (rumor has it it's twice as funny if you actually speak Japanese/live in Japan).

But, it just got me to wondering... Gintama is PERFECT Adult Swim fodder... and AS just announced that it has three new anime. Could Gintama be one of them? Is Sentai gonna pull a Gurren Lagann and release sub-only box sets for the die hard fans (such as myself) while airing dubbed episodes, with a duel audio release later? THINGS TO THINK ABOUT.
The only way I can see that happening is if it's the third show released super late (since I'm still predicting February's show is Soul Eater and September's show to be FMA: Brotherhood).
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
HELL YEAH GINTAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I'm perfectly fine with a sub-only release since dubbing this monster would be a royal pain in the butt (rumor has it it's twice as funny if you actually speak Japanese/live in Japan).

Which can be said about every anime ever made but that sure as hell didn't stop companies from licensing and dubbing them
Quote:

But, it just got me to wondering... Gintama is PERFECT Adult Swim fodder... and AS just announced that it has three new anime. Could Gintama be one of them? Is Sentai gonna pull a Gurren Lagann and release sub-only box sets for the die hard fans (such as myself) while airing dubbed episodes, with a duel audio release later? THINGS TO THINK ABOUT.

Considering the sub-only then dual audio release of Gurren Lagann was a disaster and the fact that Sentai sure as hell ain't gonna do something like that given their situation, I don't think so
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
omoikane wrote:

1. Well, in this case, it's a boxset, not singles.
2. Actually, this is the case for plenty of people, myself included. I don't like to watch streaming video unless it's to preview a show. I rather watch it on TV via channels (Anime Network on Demand, Adult Swim, Disney Anime hyper for the sake of Shippuden) or DVD. That, and it's a lot quicker at 7am to place in a DVD or press a few buttons on the remote than it is to take out my laptop and wait for it to load just to watch one episode of an anime before going to work or school.

I, myself, don't care about extras - as long as the artwork is nice, the show is awesome, and the subtitles are not littered with errors, I'm a very satisfied customer.

So other words you're too lazy sit on a screen for two minutes and would rather pay for a half-assed product because you can see it on tv, geez...
Actually, being that my laptop can take five minutes or more to load (the joys of memory and ram-clogging graphic programs), I rather not take that time to do so. Especially when, on average, I have a half-hour to eat breakfast and wake up, a half-hour to get ready, and then a half-hour to get to work or school. It's not a matter of being lazy; it's a matter of managing early morning time to balance getting plenty of sleep before heading off and starting my day.

Once again, I also don't like streaming video and really only watch them for previewing a show, like I have done for several titles now sitting on my shelf or on my purchasing list. Again, I don't care about extras; I just care about the artwork (graphic designer flaw, I'm afraid), my enjoyment of the show, and minimal-to-no errors in the subtitles. I love buying the DVDs and watching them compared to watching them on my computer screen.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Not necessarily. Some of us enjoy the satisfaction of collecting hard copies of our favorite shows. And I for one prefer the home theatre experience, rather than watching stuff on my computer. If you just wanna catch something quickly and cheaply, then streaming's a great idea. But for those of us who like to marinate in our fandoms, DVDs are the way to go. It's just a different type of fan. Laziness has nothing to do with it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
From Chris Beveridge at AoD re: Gintama seasons licensed:

Chris Beveridge wrote:
I inquired if there is a public word regarding how much Gintama has been picked up. For Gintama fans, note:

"We’ve got the first couple seasons already scheduled with an option on the rest of the series."

Been wanting to check this out, so this will be Netflixed asap.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
For Gintama, are Sentai using the Crunchyroll subs, or doing their own translation?

I have no complaint about sub-only releases. It means I get to legitimately own entire series with subtitles and the original Japanese soundtrack, for the same kind of price we used to pay for a mere four episodes. I'd much rather own a DVD than have to rely on streaming video which might not be there when I want to watch that show again!

Hurrah for Sentai, and hurrah for Hidamari Sketchx365. Surprise at Asatte no Houko, which I'll get anyway.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I have to say it is nice we are getting Gintama however this really is one of those shows that should have had a dub. It's really hard to keep following a show as long as this with subs only.

Not really. I watched every single episode of One Piece subbed... That's 434 episodes.

Although a dub might be nice, I'm sure that there are a lot of Gintama fans that would argue there shouldn't be one anyway.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, being that my laptop can take five minutes or more to load (the joys of memory and ram-clogging graphic programs), I rather not take that time to do so. Especially when, on average, I have a half-hour to eat breakfast and wake up, a half-hour to get ready, and then a half-hour to get to work or school. It's not a matter of being lazy; it's a matter of managing early morning time to balance getting plenty of sleep before heading off and starting my day.

Once again, I also don't like streaming video and really only watch them for previewing a show, like I have done for several titles now sitting on my shelf or on my purchasing list. Again, I don't care about extras; I just care about the artwork (graphic designer flaw, I'm afraid), my enjoyment of the show, and minimal-to-no errors in the subtitles. I love buying the DVDs and watching them compared to watching them on my computer screen.

Quote:

Not necessarily. Some of us enjoy the satisfaction of collecting hard copies of our favorite shows. And I for one prefer the home theatre experience, rather than watching stuff on my computer. If you just wanna catch something quickly and cheaply, then streaming's a great idea. But for those of us who like to marinate in our fandoms, DVDs are the way to go. It's just a different type of fan. Laziness has nothing to do with it.

Okay so laziness wasn't the best of words, me personally just want some bang for my buck as oppose to getting the exact same thing I watched three years ago but with nothing of worth included in it, maybe I'll still buy it since I'm such a big fan, but it's sort a disappointing.....

Last edited by ChocoBar on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gecko Moria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
God dammit I hate Sentai Filmworks. I've waited a long time for someone to license and dub Gintama and of all companies they had to license it?!!! If Gintama doesn't get a dub I hope they go bankrupt. Worthless sub only company. Can't they ,just once, dub something?

*Stands on feet and Starts to clap*

Dude Win! But someone said something smart. Gintama could come to Adult Swim. It all adds up, Adult Swim will show a New Anime on February 14th the first set comes out April 13th thats about 12 weeks therefore 12 episode and they bring out the first set. That one dude told me Sentai was working on 2 dubs... Gintama is like what 164+ Episodes long + Movies. Will Sentai really release that many Sub-only sets? I talked my smack but if the above happens I will eat my words. (Just this once for now)

Or I can be completely wrong and Sentai can do what Hannish Lightning said.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
I have to say it is nice we are getting Gintama however this really is one of those shows that should have had a dub. It's really hard to keep following a show as long as this with subs only.

Not really. I watched every single episode of One Piece subbed... That's 434 episodes.

Although a dub might be nice, I'm sure that there are a lot of Gintama fans that would argue there shouldn't be one anyway.

Uh, there fans who argued about Naruto, Bleach and One Piece being dubbed as well, there's always gonna be two sides of the coin regarding these anyways. I believe Zac stated in one of the ANN podcasts that the series wouldn't work dub because the Japanese cast were so funny and actually took their roles seriously while if the series was dubbed they'll probably try to make it wacky
Dop.L wrote:
For Gintama, are Sentai using the Crunchyroll subs, or doing their own translation?

Of course they're using their own translations, It'll make my point even more sound if they were using Crunchyroll subs
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite glad to see S23 getting the rest of Hidamari Sketch x 365. They just put out the final volume of Tears to Tiara's R1 DVD release the same as the R2 DVD release (http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=98006), so I look forward to a similarly speedy release for the currently airing third season of Hidamari Sketch.

It's also promising to see S23 getting another CrunchyRoll show in Gintama. I don't want to see CR just becoming a "licensing ghetto," for shows studios don't think will be profitable on R1 DVD. "CR Simulcast to R1 DVD" is a much healthier life cycle than "languish forever on streaming sites."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16