• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think the Anime golden era was between 88-98?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't really think there was a "Golden Era" of anime. For that matter, I don't think there's one in music, film, visual arts or literature either, although I personally have some time periods where I can really connect with the works of the artists.
That said, I want to draw a comparison to the video game industry, which is in a similar problem as the anime industry.

Last year's biggest hit was Modern Warfare 2, part 6 (I believe) of the long-running Call of Duty franchise. While "sequel" does not necessarily equate "excluding innovation", it is generally agreed that especially Call of Duty has had a similar model for a long time, and they don't want to change a running system (and that's not necessarily a bad thing for most users).
So, we can all have a look at MW2 and say that everything was better in the early nineties. However, I would disagree with that. MW2 is the most mainstream title around, but we do get innovation in form of indie games, such as Solium Infernum or AI War, which would roughly equate to Mononoke and Aoi Bungaku, in the amount of interest they generate.
If you want to say that the "era" of Civ, Ultima and Might and Magic was the "Golden Era" of video games, you are forgetting today's Portal, Warcraft 3, Half Life 2 and World of Warcraft (pulling examples out of thin air), that all shaped the video gaming world.

Similarly, if you want to argue that the era between Akira and Eva was the "Golden Era", you are forgetting Death Note, Code Geass, FLCL and many other things people listed.

PS: Both video games and anime have the problem of "ageing", which makes the comparison even neater. I'm so proud of myself.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
No. In my opinion, none of those are that notable or at least, not that good. If you'd prefer, we could use the term 'good' or 'worth seeing' instead.

I have to agree with Westlo on this particular point. Those three titles may or may not be good, depending on your tastes. But there's no way you can reasonably claim that they weren't notable.

Well, I define notable as something worth noting and I wouldn't really consider an anime worth noting unless it's pretty good. As I said in the post you were responding to though, if it's the concept of what is notable versus what is good that's hanging people up then by all means lets use a different term such as 'good' or 'worth seeing'.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
^
It's interesting to point out that all three of the previously mentioned anime series are known for having an inferior second half or sequel, obviously for different reasons and each with their respective set of consequences, but I would argue that they still qualify as "pretty good" in my humble opinion without having to resort to exclusively external considerations regarding fanbase reaction or what have you.

Then again, this doesn't really change my own analysis, which doesn't automatically consider the 2000s to be more notable than what came before. I wouldn't claim that quality was consistently higher either.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Even though 08 & 09 have been, well to say it bluntly crap compared to 05-07 they have still put out gems like Kara no Kyoukai, Time of Eve and Bakemonogatari among others.

Hm, weird choice there, I'd definitely pick Toradora! over Time of Eve despite having liked the latter better. Because... Time of Eve was far from complete, while Toradora! did a fairly good job and completed the story. Though had they completed Time of Eve, I'd definitely take it over Toradora! at any time. That is, considering romance series, of course.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I have to agree with Westlo on this particular point. Those three titles may or may not be good, depending on your tastes. But there's no way you can reasonably claim that they weren't notable.

Well, I define notable as something worth noting and I wouldn't really consider an anime worth noting unless it's pretty good. As I said in the post you were responding to though, if it's the concept of what is notable versus what is good that's hanging people up then by all means lets use a different term such as 'good' or 'worth seeing'.

I think this statement only supports what dtm42 said. He is saying that in many people's opinion these series are worth noting seeing as they have been such big hits in multiple countries and actually changed up the norm of anime titles. Just because you may not particularly like them doesn't mean it's not worth noting. For example, I really don't like Inuyasha but at the same time I can't be ignorant to the fact that this series did make a huge impact on the anime industry and will one day most likely be considered an important event in anime history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I hate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann with a passion. But, even I would (grudgingly) put it on a list of the most notable Mecha titles of the past decade, simply because of how popular and talked-about it was.

Notability is often associated with quality (real or perceived), but it doesn't have to be.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Notability is often associated with quality (real or perceived), but it doesn't have to be.

Well I wasn't necessarily saying that it was popularity which made these titles notable but more of the fact that the majority of the people found it to be a quality show, even though there is a minority that would disagree. As much as we might want to rant about how much we don't some really popular series, it's still most likely to go down in history is a notable anime whether we like it or not. One person can not judge what is notable for the whole fanbase, that's up to the majority to decide and the minority to be pissed about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyberia_knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching Anime for quite a while already and the 2000's just did not do it for me. I do try to be open minded but is a really a pain to browse the Anime section for hours and not finding anything interesting, and always end up buying an old school series. But I think the real problem I have is some of the fan base now is annoying I can compare it to how Vampire movie fans feel about Twilight. (Buying the Death Note Notebook and dressing up like L, holding the cellphone like L) They always have the same list Bleach, Death Note, Naruto, Paranoia Agent,XXXholic blah blah blah. Don't just stick to the top ten magazines give you, go out there and explore.

Series and movies such as Akira, Ghost in The Shell, Rurouni Kenshin, Ninja Scroll, Trigun, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, Inuyasha and many more emerge during 88 and 98. But besides those I do have my own favorites like Here is Greenwood, Battle Angel, Vampire Princess Miyu, Initial D. So 2000 through 2010 anime supporters quit your wining, you are going to feel the same way in 10 years. So let us old school people wine all we want, LOL, you'll get your turn to be the old school people too.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, I hate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann with a passion. But, even I would (grudgingly) put it on a list of the most notable Mecha titles of the past decade, simply because of how popular and talked-about it was.

Okay. What is it going to take to get you guys to let go of this little 'notable' hangup? Do I need to go back and edit all my posts to replace the word notable with 'good'? I'm getting a bit exasperated because I've explicitly said, if you're hung up over the word notable I'm happy to use a different one like 'good'. In which case, unless I think a title is good I personally wouldn't say it's relevant in this discussion.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well...yeah. Of course I ignore the crap. It's pretty silly to worry about which era produced the bad titles. Nobody cares about terrible titles. They're terrible so you don't see them. What is worth discussing is the good ones.

Besides, do you really want to bring up the bad shows when defending the recent years? Cause if you do, then you too have to consider everything. That means not just Bacanno, Claymore and Moribito (or whatever your preferred titles are). You also have to take into account Queen's Blade and Chu-Bra and every other terrible echii show. As I said though, why bother with that? Who cares about the crap?

What's the point in playing that "this era has more crap" game when most of the crap from eras past weren't even licensed or fansubbed? You realize how ridiculous it is to play that game than?

Quote:
Well hang on. Firstly, I'd be inclined to put 05 as part of the earlier era and I'd agree it was a decent year. I'd also concede that 07 was quite a strong year. Probably stronger than any given year this decade except maybe 04. However, I'm largely indifferent to 06 and as you said post 07 has been pretty poor.

Apart from trying to strengthen your own argument why would you unevenly split last decade?

00 01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09

First half of last decade, second half.

But hey why not!

Quote:
And as for notable lets not act like Death Note, Code Geass and Haruhi aren't notable.

No. In my opinion, none of those are that notable or at least, not that good. If you'd prefer, we could use the term 'good' or 'worth seeing' instead.[/quote]

And the unfinished Trigun with a crappy main villian (and Legato being awesome does not make up for Knives), crappy finish and average at so many things is a masterpiece, got ya.

And of course when I said notable I meant as in notable. Surely my 50 cent example showed that.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Okay. What is it going to take to get you guys to let go of this little 'notable' hangup? Do I need to go back and edit all my posts to replace the word notable with 'good'? I'm getting a bit exasperated because I've explicitly said, if you're hung up over the word notable I'm happy to use a different one like 'good'. In which case, unless I think a title is good I personally wouldn't say it's relevant in this discussion.

Citizen Kane is a notable film, but not necessarily good, because that quality lies in the eye of the beholder. Titanic and Avatar are two movies I am not particularly fond of, yet they are notable, because many people have seen and liked them. Also, they show the sheer scale of what movies can do.
Citizen Kane, on the other hand, inspired a lot of people and put techniques to good use, or even invented them. I guess more people have seen James Cameron's films than Citizen Kane, yet it definitely is a very notable film.
Death Note and Code Geass are a little similar, in that they have a plotting protagonist who is sometimes/always the villain as well, and they have an over-the-top style. Their influence on teenage kids is notable, although how much it will influence the anime industry remains to be seen.
Haruhi was a breakthrough hit in Japan and has a massive, and enormously geeky following. I need not really say more than "Hare Hare Yukai", do I? Also, Haruhi has already influenced (I dare say) the anime industry because K-On makes the merchandising techniques of Haruhi even more extreme.

Notable does not mean good, but it usually means popular and/or inventive. Twilight and Harry Potter are on a totally different quality scale, yet they are both notable, because they revived whole genres/themes and spawned hundreds of rip-offs.
If you don't like Twilight or Harry Potter, that does not make them less notable.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Well...yeah. Of course I ignore the crap. It's pretty silly to worry about which era produced the bad titles. Nobody cares about terrible titles. They're terrible so you don't see them. What is worth discussing is the good ones.

Besides, do you really want to bring up the bad shows when defending the recent years? Cause if you do, then you too have to consider everything. That means not just Bacanno, Claymore and Moribito (or whatever your preferred titles are). You also have to take into account Queen's Blade and Chu-Bra and every other terrible echii show. As I said though, why bother with that? Who cares about the crap?

What's the point in playing that "this era has more crap" game when most of the crap from eras past weren't even licensed or fansubbed? You realize how ridiculous it is to play that game than?

So basically, in response to my post explaining why I don't care about the crappy titles and am not seeking to compare them you respond explaining why it is ridiculous to compare the crappy titles. There is neither a face nor a palm big enough for this moment.

Quote:
Apart from trying to strengthen your own argument why would you unevenly split last decade?

Because unlike you I am not seeking to turn this into some silly little cross decade pissing match. I've repeatedly said that there is no meaning in comparing eras based on arbitrary and baseless distinctions such as decades or in your case, half decades.

You seem to have forgotten, we are not in a topic entitled 'what was the best decade for anime?' Rather, we are in a topic asking 'what was the golden age of anime?' Simply put, during what time period was anime at it's best? That doesn't denote any specific or equal time frame. Hence, I will choose a period of any number of years that I feel was on average the best years for anime. I personally would say it was 95-05. There were a few off years but the bulk produced many great works. I'm honestly still not clear what exactly your big problem with that is.

Quote:
And the unfinished Trigun with a crappy main villian (and Legato being awesome does not make up for Knives), crappy finish and average at so many things is a masterpiece, got ya.

Yes and I could toss out all the reasons I hate Death Note but look...Obviously people disagree on which anime they consider good and bad. Clearly though we're not going to sit here and make arguments for and against every anime of the last fifteen years. If your opinion on which anime are good differs from mine and therefore you come to a different conclusion about which years produced more great anime then by all means hold to your own opinion. That being the case though, don't try to cling to some sort of high ground and act as if your opinion on the matter is somehow superior or criticize my opinion for somehow being biased or inaccurate.

Quote:
And of course when I said notable I meant as in notable. Surely my 50 cent example showed that.

You can say whatever the hell you want. That doesn't mean it's also what I am saying. I was the one to originally use the term notable. So by all means, interpret it differently. But now that I have clarified what I meant (as I did immediately following your 50 cent example) don't seek to attack my statements by holding them to your interpretation of the word.

Labbes wrote:
Notable does not mean good, but it usually means popular and/or inventive.

Dear god. It's as if I've slipped into the Twilight Zone. I keep saying 'whatever, forget the term notable then' and people keep responding 'but those titles are notable. Let me be as clear as humanly possible.

Forget 'notable'. I hate 'notable'. May 'notable' be ever stricken from the English language. I DO NOT GIVE A fudge if an anime is notable. I care that it is good. I am basing my opinion on which years I think produced the most good anime. I don't know how I can make this any clearer. Please people, for the love of god stop arguing over the semantic meaning of notable.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I think Labbes basically summarized my thoughts on this "notable" argument. We can't define something as notable so black and white and one person can't judge what is notable or not.

ikillchicken wrote:
I've explicitly said, if you're hung up over the word notable I'm happy to use a different one like 'good'. In which case, unless I think a title is good I personally wouldn't say it's relevant in this discussion.

This statement comes off as very close minded. Your saying that an anime is only relevant to the discussion if YOU thought it was good. What we are trying to say is that just because YOU don't find it to be a good anime doesn't mean that OTHERS didn't like it. We have to take into consideration the way the anime was received as a whole.

But really this topic has strayed farther and farther away from the root discussion. It seems like we've gotten lost in the debates of what is "notable" and if 2000-2009 has been crappy or not.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I think Labbes basically summarized my thoughts on this "notable" argument. We can't define something as notable so black and white and one person can't judge what is notable or not.

Did you hear that loud *pop* just now? That was the sound of my head exploding because people won't let go of this absurd, semantic bullshit. There is no 'notable' argument. There never has been any 'notable' argument. The impression of such an argument is simply something manufactured by several of you people for reasons that truly escape my understanding.

Quote:
This statement comes off as very close minded. Your saying that an anime is only relevant to the discussion if YOU thought it was good.

I am saying that (obviously) I base my opinion on which were the best years on what I think were the best anime. I'm not going to go 'well gee, I sure did hate most of the anime this year but lots of other people like it so I guess I'll conclude it was a great bloody year.' As I made clear in my last post (and earlier as well) though...

ikillchicken wrote:
If your opinion on which anime are good differs from mine and therefore you come to a different conclusion about which years produced more great anime then by all means hold to your own opinion.

I mean my god. I am stating my bloody opinion on which years I feel were best in a topic asking for your opinion on which years you think were best. Why in the hell are people busting my balls over this?

Quote:
What we are trying to say is that just because YOU don't find it to be a good anime doesn't mean that OTHERS didn't like it.

Capital time! I DID NOT CLAIM OTHERWISE.
cyberia_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This discussion is a bunch of mental gymnastics, just get a long guys we all have our own opinions, different taste in anime, I apologize for the dumb question lets just move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6