• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Emma Season 2 Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Emma Second Act surprised me pleasantly. I had been eager to see it since I got the first boxset in July, and my expectations were pretty high. I was glued to the edge of my seat for two days last weekend watching it and I wasn't disappointed one bit. I remember commenting to a friend that CLAMP should take a lesson from Kaoru Mori on how to end a series. Smile

I'm only a little bit reluctant to call it my favorite anime ever. Without a doubt, it is my favorite anime of the last couple of years.

spoiler[ I can see what Carl is saying about the outcome being predictable (especially with that last DVD cover staring you in the face, wow) but damn all the hurdles along the way make you bite your nails. For a while there I was starting to think Hans and Emma would somehow end up together.]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I deliberately did not look at the cover, disc label, or menu (all of which are spoilerific) of the fourth disc, having been forewarned by many people.

spoiler[I would not necessarily say that Emma is predictable. There were several signs that it really could go either way (e.g.: Hans didn't give up chasing her so maybe he deserved her more, etc.). For a while there, I really held out hope she would go with Hans (who I found infinitely more likeable, especially after the way poor Eleanor was treated by William). I don't particularly like reviews that say things are predictable, when it's not, really, as all it does is ruin the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the show. Yes, it could end that way, but you never know; maybe there's a twist somewhere. Personally, I was hoping that Emma would end up with Hans and that William ended up alone and bitter after the way he treated Eleanor.]
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Watched the subtitled version of season one episode one on the Otaku USA preview DVD. While I appreciate Yumi Touma as Emma, the show just doesn't work for me if the characters are speaking in Japanese. Fortunately Animax-Asia will be showing season two starting Sunday, so I'll stick with the not veddy British English dub (Candice Moore and Claudia Thompson are the only UK expats in Omni Productions' stable, methinks) and the CMX release of the manga.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
I didn't care that much for the first season, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. I blame it on a better secondary cast and Emma and William being apart for most of the season.

kyokun703 wrote:
I deliberately did not look at the cover, disc label, or menu (all of which are spoilerific) of the fourth disc, having been forewarned by many people.

I managed to do the same thanks to the warnings.

spoiler[I would not necessarily say that Emma is predictable. There were several signs that it really could go either way (e.g.: Hans didn't give up chasing her so maybe he deserved her more, etc.). For a while there, I really held out hope she would go with Hans (who I found infinitely more likeable, especially after the way poor Eleanor was treated by William). I don't particularly like reviews that say things are predictable, when it's not, really, as all it does is ruin the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the show. Yes, it could end that way, but you never know; maybe there's a twist somewhere. Personally, I was hoping that Emma would end up with Hans and that William ended up alone and bitter after the way he treated Eleanor.]

spoiler[I had always felt bad for Eleanor, but after doing a decent job of things for a while, William found a brilliant way to shatter her heart and make a glorious mess of things in general.

I wanted to see William and Emma end up apart, not because of ill will towards either of them (though I've always found Emma herself to be a bit dull) because things had been building up to that possibility and it thought it would be an interesting direction to go. I didn't really think they would do it, but I kind of wanted to see it. The couple falls in love, is split and then get over it and grow as a result of it.]

While it didn't go the direction I wanted it to, I still think it was a decent ending, if spoiler[rather conventional. My main gripe with the ending was pulling out not one but two crises (adding the fire was a bit much) and turning Eleanor's father into an outright villain. While I liked what came of it on the Jones' end, I didn't like the direction it took Mr. Campbell.]

Another surprise for me was that my two favorite characters ended being on the older end of the spectrum, which is unusual for me. In the first season, I defaulted to Eleanor, if only because there was no one else particularly interesting. But then came Dorothea and Aurelia and I suddenly had people deserving of Favorite Character Status. Well, okay, I also liked the two recurring Jones maids in the first season along with Emma's coworkers in this season.

[EDIT: Work on those and quote and spoiler tags. -TK]
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
i loved the show but i was sad when it deviated from the manga, big time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1