• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gallery: Range Murata at the Taipei International Book Exhibition 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
3. Ten DVD-R discs featuring "China dress girl"

Eh... want to explain that one a little more?

I mean understand having a disc with art and other materials in it. But ten? Was there seriously that much stuff that it required 50 gigs worth of space?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Oh I'll gladly give out better suggestions for other readers' sake. No fancy art terms, of course. I would use the words like foundation color to describe his first application of the color. By doing so, it sounds like he is setting up a foundation to add more subtle color layers to enhance details. Which is what he was doing in first place.

Indeed, "foundation" (cosmetically speaking) might be more user-friendly. You have to forgive someone who had never tried makeup in his entire life for not having that word in his everyday vocabulary. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Sigh....No, I meant foundation as in building a house. It's all right. Cosmetic lingo works fine too. I should've used "base coating" instead.

dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:
When you mentioned "fluorescent microscopy" as your job, I still have no idea what that is because there is no brief description.

Google is your friend.

Man, that's a lazy-ass response. It took me a moment to understand your job title with wikipedia. You could just say "I work at biotech" or something in first place.

dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I don't want to hurt your feeling or anything, but it feels like you're throwing in unnecessary industry/professional jargon to describe something.

You could call it an occupational disease. Cool

Please don't do that if you're going to write about something that is not your profession. It's amateurish.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I mean understand having a disc with art and other materials in it. But ten? Was there seriously that much stuff that it required 50 gigs worth of space?

Those were blank DVD-R discs -- only with Murata's art on the writing surface; 50GB of Murata's art wouldn't just cost US$50. In a similar manner, I had a box of 10 blank CD-R with Shana (illustrated by Noizi Ito) two years ago or so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Color me jealous. I love Murata's art. Darn that kid got his figure collection signed. Plus he's got all of them, including the one I'm missing (though I think there's also a chase figure). I also have all three series of his smaller PSE figures save for one or two. Hell, I got one duplicate one on my monitor right now. Plus I got one large PSE figure. Not to mention one of his artbooks from which the designs are based. Oh yeah, and the English versions of Robot. Plus obviously DVD box sets of Last Exile and Blue Sub No 6. Damn. Sure wish Murata would come to a US on, preferably an East Cost one.

dormcat wrote:
Those were blank DVD-R discs -- only with Murata's art on the writing surface; 50GB of Murata's art wouldn't just cost US$50. In a similar manner, I had a box of 10 blank CD-R with Shana (illustrated by Noizi Ito) two years ago or so.
Not surprised to hear of limited edition blank CDs as a collector's item. That seems an appropriately geeky otaku item.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Oh, they're blank. Or I should say, pretty blanks.

Man, that must be a lot of pressure to put something good on them. It's like with most blanks you can just throw away if you mess up on the burning, or put something you don't really like on them. Because they are so cheap. But these are one of a kinds... so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Neat!
TheBigN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I'm afraid that video recording was not allowed for this demonstration.

I had already figured as much. It's still cool though. Razz
cetriya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
i rather Hyung tae kim

i dont know, I just dont like his girls
Zulkir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Apologies for being so late to the party. The term for what he was doing with the colors is called flatting/laying down flats; as in flat colors. This creates a clear separation of the areas that will receive unique color, and has obviously been made a lot easier by layers and masking in photoshop. Hopefully not too technical Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Zulkir wrote:
Apologies for being so late to the party. The term for what he was doing with the colors is called flatting/laying down flats; as in flat colors. This creates a clear separation of the areas that will receive unique color, and has obviously been made a lot easier by layers and masking in photoshop. Hopefully not too technical Very Happy

Learned a new thing today. Thanks a lot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2