• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Walt Disney Japan Confirms 2010 BDs for Ghibli Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
well if the Japanese anime companies would get off their high horse, and start thinking globally, then if they would just subtitle their own blu-rays and lower the price a little, and god forbid sell them to more than just the japanese, they would make so much more money,

I bet if they would have released Bakemonogatari, on blu-ray with an english sub, they would have sold a lot more than they did, and if they dropped the price a little, they would be rolling in the money
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Only Yesterday was the highest-grossing movie 1991 in Japan. It was released as a single Laserdisc in 1992, next as a Laserdisc in the Ghibli ga Ippai Boxset 1996, then it was one of the first Ghibli movies on dvd. So, I see no reason why it wouldn't be released on BD.

From your mouth to Disney's ears...

The only reason I mentioned it was because there has never been a U.S. release of Only Yesterday on DVD. Supposedly Disney didn't know how to market the title or who to market it to.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
jsieczka wrote:
As of right now the releases are:
Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. Oddly enough the titles that were out of print recently all being released on March 2nd.

Those aren't BD's though, only new two-disc versions to replace the out of print versions, capitalizing on the Ponyo release. I'm surprised it wasn't announced on ANN.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/32525/details-box-art-for-castle-in-the-sky-kiki-totoro-re-releases-due-mar-2-10

They can all be found on Amazon too

You are right, Disney sent a promo picture and not much else to us. Nothing said DVD, but the large blue band across the top lead me to baleave that it was Blu-Ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2