• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mag: Live-Action Vampire Hunter D, More Anime Planned

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[...] and planning a new VHD anime series in Japan."
I was thinking of a totally different VHD there for a minute.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Someone said it already; too many vampire flicks of late as it is.

Except most if not all of them are sucky if I remember correctly, and a well done live-action version of "D" would be decidedly non-sucky.

I agree with both of you. There are too many vampire flicks as of late, and most, if not all, are sucky. If done correctly, Vampire Hunter D can be a good movie, however it might only appeal to those who are already into Vampire Hunter D. I can't see it becoming huge. But compared to another flick that uses "vampires", Vampire Hunter D is so much better. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of Vampire Hunter D. I read the first three volumes and found them decent at best, but not enough to continue. And as handsome D is, I found him, and some of the characters to be marysues. I guess we'll see waht happens with these movies.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
DRWii wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Someone said it already; too many vampire flicks of late as it is.

Except most if not all of them are sucky if I remember correctly, and a well done live-action version of "D" would be decidedly non-sucky.

Unless it's a 100% Japanese production. Not to be too snide, but live action adaptations have been really hit or miss, and it would need a really big budget to look anything other than cheesy.

New anime would be cool though, especially if they're adapting "Journey to the North Sea," his best work by far.

I agree.
I recall the author mentioning in the back of the first(?) JttNS book that he really wanted that one to be adapted. And given the length, I think it'd be perfect for an anime series.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Yashakiden Vol. I is out now from Digital Manga. It's a great read, complete with vampires but also quirky dry humor and a fair dollop of explicit sex. Wonder if Kikuchi is writing Vol. V now (I think there's four volumes total in the series so far).
kow626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
there's vamp joints like twilight and the vampire diaries. teeny stuff that appeals to that market. vhd would HAVE to be rated r, gory, and more mature in the storytelling. i'd very much welcome a live-action movie ONLY if the source material is treated with respect and adapted properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2