• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Don't hate the Cosplayer, hate the game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:

And I prefer cute, cuddly animals over loud, exploring kindergartners any day...

You ever see Chi's Sweet Home? It's cute and annoying simultaneously. No different than the antics of Hanamaru only Chi's a cat and Anzu's a human.

Goodfellas was phenomenal. Makes me proud to be Italian. Time to listen to this podcast.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Goodfellas was phenomenal. Makes me proud to be Italian. Time to listen to this podcast.

Laughing Holy sh** did I read that correctly. Yes Goodfellas has always been my favorite gangster movie. But I don't think that movie displays the positive and good points of the Italian-American culture. Next You're going to praise the D-bags of The Jersey Shore as being fine upstanding representatives of the Italian-American community Laughing .

Last edited by The Count on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
You ever see Chi's Sweet Home? It's cute and annoying simultaneously. No different than the antics of Hanamaru only Chi's a cat and Anzu's a human.
Actually, I would disagree with you on this. Chi doesn't have that extra "nod" to the adults watching that Hanamaru does. Chi is just pure, unadulterated, all-ages cute, and I watched the entire first season with my friends' kids and we loved it. Hanamaru I'm passing on because to me it focuses too much on the "Anzu loves Tsuchi!" discomfort-type humor (aimed at adults) and not just on the (admittedly) very cute kids. It's not something I'd watch with the friends' kids, unlike Chi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo is a fellow lover of the Winter Olympics and hockey, I love it! Oh and btw if you do try out curling don't get discouraged, believe it or not curling is much MUCH harder than it looks, and it also makes for big time chuckles if its in a group of people who have never tired it before. The constant falling and wild runaway stones banging into everything has great entertainment value.

As far as the whole overly cutesy anime thing goes I avoid that like the plague. I got into anime in the early to mid 90's to avoid all the cutesy cartoons on American TV. Akira, Record of Lodoss War(OVA), Ghost in the Shell, everything that would fall in the cyberpunk genre, adult looking anime with serious and thought-provoking themes that's why I got into anime. Cute is the last thing I'm looking for from anime which is why I find myself less interested in what's new from Japan as cutesy seems to dominate. Thankfully there are still the occasional non-cutesy gems to be found so as far as my personal tastes are concerned all is not lost.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Just gonna throw it out there, Kimi ni Todoke is the best show currently airing. And Hanamru Kindergarten is tied with Sora no Woto for second . depending on how Sora ends, Hanamaru might win that second place <.<

as for stuff like this coming up in the States. I mean, early sitcoms usually had some toddler-baby presence in them. Look at Michelle in FUll House. She was always there as a baby to make you go "awww thats adorable". And in the early years of Boy Meets World, Morgan (the little suster) was always just there doing cute things as a little girl.

But yeah, when I explain a series like Hanamaru or K-ON to someone, I usually say it's like watching a video of kittens on youtube. If you're into kittens being cute then this is basically the same thing. But I guess you'd disagree with that Zac xD

I enjoyed hearing Bamboo this week. I was actually wondering last week if Bamboo was gonna be on any more xD

I like Bamboo's random single word imputs when the cosplay person was talking xD

poonk wrote:
Actually, I would disagree with you on this. Chi doesn't have that extra "nod" to the adults watching that Hanamaru does. Chi is just pure, unadulterated, all-ages cute, and I watched the entire first season with my friends' kids and we loved it. Hanamaru I'm passing on because to me it focuses too much on the "Anzu loves Tsuchi!" discomfort-type humor (aimed at adults) and not just on the (admittedly) very cute kids. It's not something I'd watch with the friends' kids, unlike Chi.

it gets better when they throw in the tsundere imouto with the bro-complex xD
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

But yeah, when I explain a series like Hanamaru or K-ON to someone, I usually say it's like watching a video of kittens on youtube. If you're into kittens being cute then this is basically the same thing. But I guess you'd disagree with that Zac xD

This is starting to get a little frustrating - I said pretty much exactly this on the show, that the appeal of those series must be the same for them as watching animal videos on youtube for me. Are y'all purposefully misinterpreting what I said or do you fly into self-defense mode so quickly that you aren't listening in the first place?
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

This is starting to get a little frustrating - I said pretty much exactly this on the show, that the appeal of those series must be the same for them as watching animal videos on youtube for me. Are y'all purposefully misinterpreting what I said or do you fly into self-defense mode so quickly that you aren't listening in the first place?

wait, I think you're misunderstanding me.. I just meant that line in the sense that you personally don't view little kids as you do cute kittens.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
not knocking on Justin or anything, but Bamboo makes a much better co-host. she's a lot more funny to listen to. is there a reason there can't be three hosts?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I have seen a few at Toonzone, though I will say that if someone only likes one part of a genre than I would hardly call them anime fans. I wouldn't call someone who only watches Blockbuster movies to be a fan of movies.

For example while I am a huge fan of mecha series, I am also a fan of shonen series, and more adult action series such as Cowboy Beebop, and Outlaw Star, and even some shojo, and several of the more ecchi series especially Ken Akamatsu's work.
But that doesn't mean you HAVE to watch and like all genres in order to be a fan. Are you saying if you have a dislike for certain aspect that a genre uses often you have to A. deal with it and watch it and force yourself to like it so you can be classifies as a "fan", or B. realize you won't like it and don't watch it and have your "fan" classification stripped?

Good show, I was thinking that I should skip listen this week (which would be only the second time I've done so) because I have very little interest in cosplay. But Charlene got to some points that made this very interesting. I also like listen to fans like myself who can enjoy shows and parts of anime that are often mocked, and Charlene came across as that kind of fan. I also love hearing from people that like Rin as much as me. And its my hope that if successful it will lead to licenses of similar themed shows like Canaan and Garden of Sinners.

I am saying that if you can divide people based off of interest very quickly than I wouldn't consider them "anime fans" because they don't have a variety of interest they just like one genre.

For example, I wouldn't consider a person who just reads Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach a "manga fan".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

Pandadice wrote:
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

wait, I think you're misunderstanding me.. I just meant that line in the sense that you personally don't view little kids as you do cute kittens.

Oh, OK. I thought you meant I didn't understand why people would find it appealing.

Communication is so easy on the internet!
poonk

Pandadice wrote:
it gets better when they throw in the tsundere imouto with the bro-complex xD
Okay, so apparently it really isn't the "pure-cute" (a la Chi) that some of us were expecting. Shocked Which is fine-- I don't really care but as I've said elsewhere, having realized this I'm just gonna pass on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Glad y'all asked my questions! Those were some interesting answers she gave. But, um... Should I have given my last name?

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Ahaha... once again, Zac (and Bamboo?), you demonstrate you only see anime as a genre and not a medium. You think we have to either like Anime A or Anime B and can't like both. C'mon, guys, leave the animation age ghetto already.

When did we say people can't like both? None of the anime fans I know who became a fan in the late 90s are in to the super cutsey stuff. It's an observation.

You and I have argued a lot and I get the sense you don't really listen for context or nuance, just the bits that reinforce whatever you already thought of me.

I listen for nuance, but it sounds more like you covering your own ass than actual nuance. Bamboo says she doesn't understand why these shows exist because they only appeal to a small group of people. You said and I quote "There are two kinds of anime fans; the people who like Hanamaru Kindergarten and others like it, and the rest of us." Did either of you even watch the show? At no point in that conversation between you, did I get the feeling that either you or Bamboo watched it and instead rehashed talking points and stats of the series. I get that you're elitists, but I'd figure you of all people with your vast love of various movies, would recognize that people who watch this show don't just watch shows of this ilk. I like my old-school and my moeblobs, and I do not like that you group us all into narrow demographics where we all watch either this or that. Now I've said my peace, and you're more than welcome to have the last word, but I'll say no more on the topic.

As the rest of the podcast goes, I know one of those 10 seriously into Sakura Taisen. His bedroom is practically a shrine to the franchise.

Ah attention whore cosplayers... fortunately its easy to spot them and simultaneously ignore them.

Strike Witches' marketing campaign was nothing short of genius. I'm buying that show because of that campaign. I cannot ignore such amazing effort.

And... that's about it, I guess. Good show, but not much that really striked my interest.
Dblitzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the discussion over Hanamaru Kindergarten. At one point you brought up the fans being defensive and talked about how they feel like they're under attack from other groups but i think this discussion could be expanded to the whole of the anime community as pretty much anyone who is a fan of a certain type of shows (moe, shonen etc) will find themselves under attack from the another part of the anime fanbase at some point or another, it's really kinda sad the lack of acceptance parts of the anime fandom has for other parts of the fandom
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Laughing Holy sh** did I read that correctly. Yes Goodfellas has always been my favorite gangster movie. But I don't think that movie displays the positive and good points of the Italian-American culture. Next You're going to praise the D-bags of The Jersey Shore as being fine upstanding representatives of the Italian-American community Laughing .

Yeah, you read that correctly. It's a little hard to explain, but I love seeing people rise to power. I love seeing people like me rise to power. It's a bit of an ego rush. I don't condone organized crime or anything in this movie, but they made it looks so damn cool!

It was a great movie. That was just a little extra reason to enjoy it for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4