• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite adaptation of FMA: First series or Brotherhood.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
^
um think I made that clear already. think as I write. don't think first.

That's exactly the problem. Stream of conscious may be a valid literary writing style, but when you're having a discussion with other people, ordering your thoughts properly so that they can be easily understood is greatly superior.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
lol well arent you a smart one. Although in an argument that's what you do. You don't fight losing battles especially over something as stupid as this. Besides I already said I was wrong so there is nothing for me to "defend."

Oh and you have it opposite. In writing everything must flow. When talking you do what you do. Don't feel like explaining. Its slang get it?
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For your info the first FMA was different from the book because the director wanted to take the story in a different direction. She had to do what her boss wanted. Also why back in the day the manga chapters took forever to come out. Now I really don't care if you believe me as I said earlier brat.

The first FMA was different cause they ran out of manga material. You keep talking like you have some sort of exclusive insight into the director's head which I really doubt.

Quote:
See lol this is why I told him to shut up. I know him. He's like me except he sucks at baiting people. He never contributes. Just attacks and makes smart comments.... I'm wrong wanna cookie Ausdert? lol brat.

I comment only on topics I feel interested in. I don't spam, and don't post to piss people off. So sorry, you got it all wrong. Thanks for the continuing useful contribution and polite behaviour. I hope the moderators take notice.[/quote]
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Though I think brotherhood the superior adaptation I definately can't agree that the first one was worthless. Before brotherhood I quite happily watched it and although a bit dissapointed with the ending it still remained one of my favorite series.

To be honest ShinobiX I can't speak for anyone else but to me it seems that your posts are almost intentionally unintelligable in places. Hey i don't have that good of a typing discipline but man you're awful at it.

Not only that but the way you argue your points as though you where the authority on everything kinda annoys me. It sorta reminds me of me when I was about 13 years old.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
lol stick and stones. But before trying to say tht why don't you try arguing with me then decide. Well If I recall all u do is insult whine and say I'm wrong so watever. What u did now

oh and asu watever u now your smart ass comments only make you look worst. I said you were an instigator. I am too but I don't start it I escalate it. So I guess I'm just as guilty

btw stop repeating what I say in another language seriously.
Anime is diff. from the manga because she focused on the anime. That is why back in the day manga chapters took forever to come out = Anime is diff. because they ran out of manga material.

Stop [expletive] with me. I just stated the obvious reason.

Last edited by ShinobiX on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX, you could be more polite and spell check your posts. As for me, I love the first Fullmetal Alchemist to pieces, it's what got me to really like anime and start buying it. Yeah, the series didn't follow the manga, but that's because they ran out of material. Still it showed how you write really good filler.

As for Brotherhood, I hate that they basically sped through the story just to get to the new stuff, it follows the manga but if I watched Brotherhood without having watched the first series, I wouldn't be attached to Ed and Al. What the first series did was show us the strong bond between them, it emphasized that. and Brotherhood kinda skims it over in exchange for the action plot, not that it's a bad plot by any means, it's great, but I miss my emotional attachment to characters. Don't get me wrong I love both even Brotherhood a little more for the plot, but when it came drawing out the emotions of characters, the first series, takes the cake, but Brotherhood did one-up the first series a few times in episode 22 and 26.

And I miss the music of the first series, give me back my "Brothers" theme instead of the orchestra music.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
heh dont but in and its called texting lol what u want me to write properly. lol u did and u had a few errors. Besides what do you know? Only will write properly if the situation demands it. What they are arguing with me about is stupid and dead. Like I said they are starting shit with me for no reason. Damn right I'm gunna respond. Can't call me a bitch, moron, incoherent, roll eyes whatever and then expect me to be nice nice.

I mean cmon I said I was wrong twice already and they are still starting shit. Think they have a vendetta against me well I know I made one of them look stupid, but who cares. Oh but you are right I could be nice. I wont rip everyone's head off though. Didn't rip yours or Dorcas_Aurelia's.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I hurt your feelings ShinobiX but I said what I said because I think sooner or later your gonna get yourself banned I've seen quite a few threads where you have just run roughshod over everyones opinion and generally been rude and obnoxious. I'm just gonna ignore you from now on.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
lol u didn't hurt my feelings and no. If you haven't realized, what I do is bring up very controversial stuff, everyone attacks me and then you people expect me not to bark back. Don't mislead people. You're one of those critics. People criticize my ideas. I criticize their rebuttals not their ideas. Two different things. If you call my idea shit of course I'm going to defend it. I'm gunna get banned because I defend my beliefs pff yeah right. I might ass well kiss everyone's ass and just say I'm always wrong and you critics are always right. What it comes down to anyway.

Also by responding to me after I said drop it three times already shows I'm not really in the wrong here.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
In terms of plot, Brotherhood wins hands-down.

In terms of characters, Brotherhood wins once again. The original missed out on a bunch of amazing characters introduced later on in the manga (cough... Olivier...), and it completely ignored almost everybody except for Ed, Al, and Roy. Brotherhood does the opposite, and focuses more on the wide cast of characters and the expansive world rather than just on Ed and Al's angst.

In terms of pace, Brotherhood wins. It has an amazing pace, though the first fourteen episodes were a travesty. It also has very little filler (only two episodes), compared to the filler in the first Anime. The first Anime is also guilty of dragging things out, and bowdlerizing everything. Tucker and Nina was a very sad plot point, but it was only a chapter in the manga, not an entire arc. I don't even want to get into Laboratory 5, which was amped up to the extreme in the original Anime when it was only a very minor plot point in the manga and Brotherhood.

In terms of music, the first Anime wins hands-down. I can't stand Brotherhood's OST. The music is so typical, and it sounds so misplaced in some episodes. I REALLY miss "Brothers".

I prefer Brotherhood's homunculi, though I hate how shallow they are. The homunculi in the original had plenty of depth, which I miss now.

I hate both Father and Dante, but Father's plan to spoiler[control every military event in a country to construct a giant transmutation circle so he can transform everybody in the entire country into a philosopher's stone so he can absorb God] is one of the biggest schemes in Anime history. It's a shame that Father has no motives other than wanting to be powerful.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I've been watching the new series and the biggest improvement IMO over the origional series is the way in which we have a much greater cast of characters and the way in which they are given almost equal amounts of screen time or importance. The fight this time is much more of a group effort than it was portrayed in the first series which i think is fitting.

Also some interesting stuff in the new OP for Winryx Ed shippers.

I take it that the fact that they have just introduced a new OP means FMA brotherhood is going to continue for quite a few eps yet?
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
I take it that the fact that they have just introduced a new OP means FMA brotherhood is going to continue for quite a few eps yet?

There will be 63 episodes.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Well to people who see my posts it should come as no surprise that I prefer the manga & Brotherhood to the 1st series.

Not that I think Brotherhood is perfect it rushed through early events (which I felt was a shame) and it's music is not up to par with the first series soundtrack (that was my favorite thing about the first series). However, in terms of plot, characters, and setting, Brotherhood beats the first series in every way. And yes I even prefer Ed and Al's relationship in Brotherhood, much more a relationship of equals. I also like that every character gets a chance to shine in Brotherhood and it's not only focused on a select few.

In the end I suppose what series people likes better comes down to the type of story people prefer. The first series had a more central focus whereas Brotherhood has a much broader focus. If you like more "drama" you might also prefer the first series. Brotherhood is a bit more light-hearted. Although to clarify I don't think light-hearted means less complex. I don't think either version of FMA is super complex but they both have interesting ideas to present. The tone of a story does not signify it's complexity.

And yes I do think the first series beat me over the head with things a lot and I personally found it emotionally manipulative. But if that is what people find "subtle" so be it.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
@ Maidenoftheredhand

Quote:
And yes I do think the first series beat me over the head with things a lot and I personally found it emotionally manipulative. But if that is what people find "subtle" so be it.

When I said "subtle", I meant in terms of storytelling. The themes were sometimes a bit Anvilicious, true, but the writers didn't feel the need to spell out every character's motivations or every fantastical element with loads and loads of expospeak.

As far as being "emotionally manipulative", the first series was no more so than the manga or Brotherhood. It just manipulated your emotions towards the "sad" end of the scale instead of the "happy" end. I sometimes find Brotherhood is trying to "manipulate" me into laughing, for instance, which I find more obnoxious than trying to instill pathos. At least badly-done pathos doesn't interrupt well-done pathos like the badly-done attempts at causing amusement. I also found the manga was often trying too hard to make me feel optimistic and hopeful, which is really jarring for somebody who's fairly cynical like me. It was like, "dude, I get that you want me to have faith in humanity and hope for the future, but you're being way too obvious about it."

So yeah, your mileage may vary. There are very few anime around that don't aim for a very obvious, Anvilicious message, and most of them are slice-of-life or ecchi.

@ Jaymie

Quote:
In terms of characters, Brotherhood wins once again. The original missed out on a bunch of amazing characters introduced later on in the manga (cough... Olivier...), and it completely ignored almost everybody except for Ed, Al, and Roy. Brotherhood does the opposite, and focuses more on the wide cast of characters and the expansive world rather than just on Ed and Al's angst.

There's a downside to this, however. Because so many characters are taking the spotlight, and there's also a huge plot that needs to be played out, very few of the characters achieve much depth. Olivier, though badass, isn't a very well-developed character, for example.

I often found that the manga (and Brotherhood by extension) spread itself too thin with its characters, which is especially frustrating when you don't find many of those characters all that interesting.

And I don't think you're correct about the characters who got the focus in the first anime: Ed and Al, certainly. Roy, I suppose, although not as much as he got in the manga. But there was also Lust, Scar, Izumi, Wrath, Greed (while he was spoiler[alive ]), and hell, even Sciezka, Rose, Winry, and Martel. Lust and Scar got a lot more attention than Roy did, that's for sure. Ed and Al often served as the catalyst for the focus, and they were definitely the main characters, but that didn't mean that other members of the cast were left to the wayside.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:

When I said "subtle", I meant in terms of storytelling. The themes were sometimes a bit Anvilicious, true, but the writers didn't feel the need to spell out every character's motivations or every fantastical element with loads and loads of expospeak.

Sorry but I didn't find the characters motivations in the first series subtle at all: Ooh I want to be human, Ooh he was my father, Ooh I remember being a mother, Ooh I want revenge for my people and I was jealous of my brother, ooh I want to be immortal and look young forever.

Now I am not saying the manga is remotely more subtle either. Yes for the most part character's motivations become clear as the story goes on but this is no different from the first series and I certainly wasn't left contemplating what it all meant at the end and marveling at the complexity of the story. Well except for where they came up with the awful doorway storyline (that could use some explanation.)

Quote:
As far as being "emotionally manipulative", the first series was no more so than the manga or Brotherhood. It just manipulated your emotions towards the "sad" end of the scale instead of the "happy" end. I sometimes find Brotherhood is trying to "manipulate" me into laughing, for instance, which I find more obnoxious than trying to instill pathos. At least badly-done pathos doesn't interrupt well-done pathos like the badly-done attempts at causing amusement.

Humor is subjective and I am not going to fault you for not finding Arakawa's sense of humor funny but I certainly do and so do a lot of people.

Yes the humor lightens the mood but the story is neither completely dark or humorous all the time. If you want to say you like the first series because you are more cynical and like a darker story, fine there is nothing wrong with that but that doesn't make it more complex than the manga/Brotherhood which does try to lighten the mood at times.

And you say some of the humor ruins the story for you, well some of the melodrama of the first series ruins the story for me. Different strokes.

Quote:

I also found the manga was often trying too hard to make me feel optimistic and hopeful, which is really jarring for somebody who's fairly cynical like me. It was like, "dude, I get that you want me to have faith in humanity and hope for the future, but you're being way too obvious about it."

Yes the manga leaves you with a sense of hope (which I personally like) but it doesn't tell you "everything is going to be okay" either. Yes I am sure the main villain will be defeated (which I pretty much knew from the first series as well) but that doesn't mean I think everything is going to be "rainbows and kittens" either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5