• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Dance in the Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
Okay guys, this is getting out of hand and there seems to be a lot of circular arguments going on here.

First off, this is a discussion. If you're not willing to discuss something then don't take part. Just saying, "you do/don't agree with this? then you suck!" isn't going to fly. Sure, people aren't saying it in quite as simple a fashion, but that's what a lot of the posts are coming down to.

And on that note, some of you need to learn a little tolerance. No matter how you feel about it, not everyone is going to agree with you. This doesn't make them wrong, stupid, foolish, ignorant, or any of the other words that have been thrown out there by people. Plus, not every person who disagrees with the majorities opinion is a troll. While some reported posts in this thread have been trolls, we've also gotten quite a few people reporting posts as trolling when it was nothing more than someone saying they disagree. It's fine that you have your opinion and a strong conviction, but tolerance of people who disagree is also important, particularly when a discussion is supposed to be civil.

Also, when a topic has run its course it's time to drop it. When you find yourself repeating your statements over and over and others are doing the same, then there comes a point you're just going to have to accept that those on the other side of the argument aren't going to change their mind. A number of the exchanges here have reached the point they're simply going in circles over and over, and getting more and more hostile as those involved get more frustrated. Sometimes the most important thing about a discussion is knowing when to quit.

Now, mods have warned people to be polite, and it's even in the threads title, but some people are missing the memo. There's no reason hot button topics like this can't be discussed in a civil fashion, and I'd hate to see those who are having a constructive discussion about this topic put out by those who can't behave. Unfortunately things keep getting worse, so I'm giving one final warning here to shape up or we're going to have to take further action. This can be anything from locking the thread, to temporary bans, or outright removal of offending posts and those that branch from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing...

Excuse me? Now Funimation thinks they can decide what is and is not appropriate for the US? Are they making the laws now? Well I guess anyone can now. Just when I think I can't hate Funimation more they prove me wrong.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
Quote:
These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing...

Excuse me? Now Funimation thinks they can decide what is and is not appropriate for the US? Are they making the laws now? Well I guess anyone can now. Just when I think I can't hate Funimation more they prove me wrong.

Yeah, they can. You know why? Because they paid the money for the license so they are allowed to decide what may or may not harm their interests as a company. You can certainly argue that censoring a product harms their commercial interest (due to lost sales) and you would have a potentially valid point, but I repeat: why do some people have such difficulty accepting Funi's right to make a judgment call on loli material in a country where certain segments are hyper-sensitive about anything remotely involving underage characters and sexuality?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
dngrx wrote:
I'd say both look like little girls...

I've not seen the entire series, I only went by the link presented earlier (I did fast forward the video in 5 min increments). I did not see these girls you posted.

But more importantly, were these girls shown visually to be engaging in adult affairs or was it implied? Big difference here.

------------------

I was asked, externally, for my view on this censorship, so I'll do so now:
I often wonder why certain series go out of their way to show the undergarments of girls while others don't. I understand the elements of "fanservice", but it's not why I buy anime. If these scenes start getting edited, I couldn't care less. I know many of you will care, and I can accept that. My compromise is to simply tolerate it in order to view the elements of why I watch anime.

I question why the line keeps getting pushed to the point when the series is no longer enjoyable, but instead, makes me feel uncomfortable.

If the Japanese anime industry wants to continue pushing this line, they're completely entitled to do so. But as many of you decided, I too will stop buying what I consider trash.

Japan and America obviously have a very large cultural difference. I can tolerate the nudity found in Popotan, but had it been Mii getting out of the bed rather than Ai, you can bet I'd be very, very pissed.

It's bad enough reading horror stories of real children in newspapers. The last damn place I want it is in my entertainment. Like it or not, I'm backing FUNimation on this one and I'm thankful they're doing it.

I don't consider this censorship at all. I see it as helping to keep the anime industry from blurring that line it's been pushing for years into territories most of you don't like to begin with.

That's my position, which I'm sure some of you will agree with while others won't. But rest assured, if you all continue debating censorship of this blurring line, and fight to allow it, that's one less anime fan who will buy.

"Mature" doesn't tell me there's a scene of an adult rubbing lotion on a nude, perceived young girl, does it? Allow FUNimation to add this debated scene, I can only fear what the next line gets crossed. Think mature is going to cover "Sexual relations with a perceived 7 year old girl"?

I don't want to find this out after I buy the series rated "Mature", for even mature adults have a line they don't want to see crossed in their entertainment.
Badat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
The fact that she looks young and has for the last 30 years of her life has a point in the story and is a very important one which I won't spoil for those who don't read the manga.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
I think a poll is in order: how has FUNimation's decision to censor Dance in the Vampire Bund affected you?

a. I was going to buy it, but now I'm not.
    b. I wasn't going to buy it, but now I am.
    c. I wasn't going to buy it anyway.
    d. I'll buy it regardless.
    e. Dance in the what now?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I don't want to find this out after I buy the series rated "Mature", for even mature adults have a line they don't want to see crossed in their entertainment.
Here, here! Quoted for truth. Also I'm intrequed by the underlying energy, generated by the malcontents of Funi's decision to edit, here on the internet. It has the aura of "I reject your attempt to starve me of my pleasures of looking at underaged appearing girls in graphic oversexualised situations, and I strongly protest." Astoundingly fascinating. I would love to see such proclamations done in the middle of a town centre, just to observe the populous reply. The internet is by far the brightest glowing display of humanity's undershell. Smile
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Why don't we just wait and see HOW they edit it before people whine. Last edit I recall Funimation doing was for Witchblade and it was subtle, well done, and didn't detract from the show at all. If you had never seen the original you couldn't even tell. Granted it was edited for TV, and not for dvd.

Here is the before and after
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Here, here! Quoted for truth. Also I'm intrequed by the underlying energy, generated by the malcontents of Funi's decision to edit, here on the internet. It has the aura of "I reject your attempt to starve me of my pleasures of looking at underaged appearing girls in graphic oversexualised situations, and I strongly protest." Astoundingly fascinating. I would love to see such proclamations done in the middle of a town centre, just to observe the populous reply. The internet is by far the brightest glowing display of humanity's undershell. Smile

As I mentioned before, to some of us, censorship is about the principle. For people who are only concerned about lolicon, the Internet is a vast and endless resource. I'm not buying this for the same reason I'm not buying the FMA manga after the cross was censored out. You can't exactly tell me it's because I'm being starved of my pleasure of looking at a cross.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
First of all, I wish people would stop assuming that everyone who wants this anime unedited wants to see naked little girls. Trust me, if some pedo wants wank material, he could probably do better than DitVB. Those who are against the censorship feel that it detracts from the story; they don't just wanna see some little girl (who is NOT really a little girl) get nekkid! Plus, as it's already been mentioned, Funi has already put out unedited anime that is just as bad, if not worse, than DitVB. As for the potential for offense, I think most of the people who would want to watch this would not be offended. And it's those people Funi should be marketing to because I can't see this being a mainstream hit.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Why don't we just wait and see HOW they edit it before people whine. Last edit I recall Funimation doing was for Witchblade and it was subtle, well done, and didn't detract from the show at all. If you had never seen the original you couldn't even tell. Granted it was edited for TV, and not for dvd.

WRONG Very Happy

The more dressed version of Witchblade aired on Japanese television. The almost naked one was from the DVD version, including the R1. And to be honest, I liked the more covered up version, cause it looked like...you ...AN ARMOUR.

I also think that anyone who thinks censorship is good is a moron, plain and simple. What possible good can come out of censorship in the medium and long run? Answer me that.

Also, rules are NOT a form of censorship. Let's say there's this really REALLY perverted book, and you are 12 years old and want to read it.

a) Your parents take the book away and make sure you don't get another copy. You are not allowed to read it. That is a rule.
b) Your parents go on a crusade to get the book banned or edited to remove the perverted content. That is censorship. Get it?
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What possible good can come out of censorship in the medium and long run? Answer me that.

That depends on the show and circumstances its in. Sailor Moon for example, in censoring a few characters from male to female and some clothing here and there. Censoring that will help it stay on TV and the viewers are able to still experience the story. Whereas, if deem unsuitable, it won't be on TV or released on DVD here, limiting a huge chunk of audience and the likes.

In the long run, we have those very same children/viewers who grew up loving the show and finding out more info on the show to seek not only unedited stuff, but spread their horizons in liking more anime of that type. Or even if some viewers didn't seek out the uncensored, they may want to expose their child to their show, and that child will like it, grow up with it, and spread the word to future generations and all that.

In this case, more spread of awareness and more people watching. We have the internet for those who seek more info, but with censorship like this, we allow more people to experience a work. Isn't that what we truly want in the long run?
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I question why the line keeps getting pushed to the point when the series is no longer enjoyable, but instead, makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't consider this censorship at all. I see it as helping to keep the anime industry from blurring that line it's been pushing for years into territories most of you don't like to begin with.

But where do you draw the line? When 5% of the population is uncomfortable or offended? 10%? 25%? 50%? What defines "most"? How do we even know what "most" anime fans think about this? Why should one group of adults be able to impose their beliefs of what is improper on what is very likely larger masses? (Yes, I am suggesting this is something like 30% trying to impose something on the 70% based simply on forum replies.)

Quote:
"Mature" doesn't tell me there's a scene of an adult rubbing lotion on a nude, perceived young girl, does it?
The rating was never meant to identify the content. Should media list every single potentially controversial scene that exists in a title? What is done for games and movies is only what has the potential for offend a sizable portion, not every single detail that may offend someone. (This is not to say this scene doesn't have above potential, but I think many reviews of this title would mention this, which is again, doing one's homework before one buys.)

Quote:
Allow FUNimation to add this debated scene, I can only fear what the next line gets crossed.
Interesting, a reversed slippery slope argument.

Quote:

While we all have a line, I'm not going to impose my individual line nor my local one on you or others and theoretically expect the same from others.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Also I'm intrequed by the underlying energy, generated by the malcontents of Funi's decision to edit, here on the internet. It has the aura of "I reject your attempt to starve me of my pleasures of looking at underaged appearing girls in graphic oversexualised situations, and I strongly protest."
How about, "I reject your attempt to decide what is proper for me as an adult to watch when it has been decided and announced that the work as a whole should be watched." (When was it decided that as a whole, it was okay? FUNi decided that by a) licensing the title, b) by announcing the title, knowing that it would be edited, without announcing that it would be edited, and c) weasel words in the PR. )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:

WRONG Very Happy

The more dressed version of Witchblade aired on Japanese television. The almost naked one was from the DVD version, including the R1. And to be honest, I liked the more covered up version, cause it looked like...you ...AN ARMOUR.

Even if it looks better, that edit is still a type of censorship.

DmonHiro wrote:

Also, rules are NOT a form of censorship.

Not necessarily. If you recall George Orwell's 1984, the state can make such rules.

As I mentioned earlier, the majority determines the rules in the community. If the locals think something is pr0n, then it is pr0n in that community. If you disagree, either move to a community where you are in the majority, or persuade the minds of your local majority. Simply what you personally think is not enough - you alone cannot determine the rules for the majority.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
To continue from my previous post, I don't know why American companies are even bothering with shows like this if they're that afraid of a backlash. And it's not like this show is going to become a mainstream hit. Most of the people who might buy it, already know about and/or have seen it and know about the questionable content. That is why I personally think Funi should either not license this or sell it unedited/sub-only, and maybe online only with a mature rating. Yes, this will stop it from being mainstream but I don't think will appeal to a more general audience.
Of course, I understand that vampires are supposedly popular nowadays, but if Funi is expecting the tweener crowd who saw Twilight a bajilion times to start beating a path to their door simply because they''re putting out something with the word "vampire" in the title, they're sadly mistaken. However, if they're that determined to market to a more casual audience, go ahead, but they should keep the more hardcore audience (most of whom don't want censorship) in mind and offer an unedited choice.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 41