• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Working!! (Wagnaria!!) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
if I wasn't such a K-ON fan, this right now is the best anime.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I liked this episode, it was pleasant and it had me laughing but I did realize that this episode DID almost entirely fell back on the previous episode's jokes. I think the only really new thing that we haven't seen before was seeing spoiler[how much the cook dislikes serving] and that whole last sectioin was very enjoyable and somewhat different but it was all just a variation on the Inami problem.

Next week looks good, I liked the intro of the sisters last week, I'll enjoy seeing more of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on the treading water nature of eppie 5. I wonder why they did that? They have been pretty good about introducing new characters or new facets to the characters so far, but this time they just rested on their laurels. I'm looking forward to the sister episode myself.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
At least they didn't make Poplar small-chested, which makes it a bit more believable that she's actually a high-school student and not in elementary school.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Checked out the show with no expectations and found out this show is really funny.
I am really enjoying the show. It is funny how each character has their own complex or set of complexes that get worked into the anime, at a pace that is decent enough to not feel cliche.
Even in ep5 a complex or two popped up at just the right time.

The next episode will expose more about Takanashis sisters. I am looking for to the situations that get forced on him.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was lacking in Inami Sad

I didn't quite 'get' spoiler[Yamada's character. I know she's some sort of runaway with a family background we're sure to discover sometime in the future, and that she's pretty awful at work... I've not figured out her angle yet though?]

Next week: MOAR INAMI!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Just like to say I am still enjoying Working!! and I recently watched episode 12. I think I still stand by my thoughts that Inami is one of my favourite characters in the show, and the show has greatly shifted to also focusing on her. The last couple of weeks we have also had the topic of spoiler[crossdressing Takanashi and Poplar's weird facination with him in this mode.] Definetly some good laughs from that, but also a nice more dramatic scene when spoiler[he stood up to her father, and the terrible things he did to his daughter out of his own fear.]

I am definetly looking forward to episode 13 for spoiler[the date], I also wonder if we will ever find out what Yamada's secret is. Oh and the preview made it look like that character with glasses who often in the background might actually have a speaking role.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had forgotten there was a Working!! thread. Yeah, I've continued to enjoy the series; it's usually good for some chuckles every episode. I am kinda tired of Inami's "man-phobia," though. They really haven't developed it too much so it feels like a tired gag to me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Inami really is adorable. The scene in ep. 12 where she spoiler[fantasizes about Takanashi holding her in his "magic arms"] was one of the biggest laughs of the show or any show this season.
Although part of me did wish it would have continued to be a Poplar episode as it promised to be in the first half. I would have enjoyed spoiler[more interaction between her and Takanashi's sisters.]

I get the feeling this series and probably the manga/comic it was based on is an example of a side character (Inami) unexpectedly becoming more popular (or more interesting to the author) than the character that had orignally been planned as the lead character (Poplar). She was after all the first character introduced in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well there was not a lot of posts in the thread, but Working!! has finished, and I would say that I enjoyed it, I usually like having one of these shows per season that it's primary focus is comedy with maybe some romance added. It could add some drama, not anything that woiuld keep you up at night, or ever really couldn'y be played partially for laughs.

As for the last episode it was what I was looking forward to spoiler[the date], well it turns out he did spoiler[end up crossdressing], though it was not really too bad as it fited with his character quirks, those were cute puppies. Best part of it is it turned out he spoiler[is on the verge of realising he likes her aswell], although it did kind of hit the cliche "you were not ment to here that, but turned out alright. Although played for laughs when Poplar was told about it. Also the character we never see talking got a part, turns out she is the token "normal" character, trying to convince herself she is normal, though in the end had the rest of the cast thinking she is the weird one.

Well considering how it finished, I would like another season, but I don't know if they would kow what to do if spoiler[Inami and Takanashi realised the other liked them], I would also like to know a bit amore about Yamada, though I guess part of the charm is not knowing. Either way this has been one of my favourites this season, and I kliked the opening song it was catchy, and the ending song felt refreshing aswell.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually criticize a show solely dedicated to comedy, but this one missed a pool of awesomeness. His sisters were just too funny, yet they decided to focus on the same characters over and over instead of balancing it little a bit.
Regardless, it was rather enjoyable; at least a lot more than I expected when the season began.
I'll definitely watch a second season if they make one.

I'll miss that opening. Man this past season had so many openings I liked.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Hi, guys.

I started Working!! a bit late in the game; just finished a marathon a couple days ago. At the start of the spring season, I got the impression that it was just "decent" and decided to skip it over, which I now know would have been a big mistake. Working!!, for me, is the same level of entertainment as K-ON!(!) — light humor, generally likable characters, and animation that is it's own eye candy. This is one of those shows that's certainly a nice contrast of those like House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy (both of which I also finished recently).

It seemed good enough to eventually get a sequel, but it probably won't. I don't care either way, but I most definitely wouldn't mind one! Wink

DuskyPredator wrote:
Definetly some good laughs from that, but also a nice more dramatic scene when spoiler[he stood up to her father, and the terrible things he did to his daughter out of his own fear.]

It was great that someone finally stood up to this guy. What he did is basically child abuse. Confused

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I get the feeling this series and probably the manga/comic it was based on is an example of a side character (Inami) unexpectedly becoming more popular (or more interesting to the author) than the character that had orignally been planned as the lead character (Poplar). She was after all the first character introduced in the show.

I'm not familiar with the manga, but honestly, I think I prefer it this way — Inami is a "side character" who is slowly becoming a "main character." To me, Poplar seemed more like the dependable, constant character that makes the audience feel comfortable. She's there from the beginning and is there to initiate, but she's never really the main love interest (or whatever) and is perfectly happy with that. She's a heroine in her own way. If that makes any sense. Besides, it would feel boring if all the other characters predictably stuck to the sidelines.

I really liked Inami. When she first hit Takanashi, I thought she was gonna be one of those ridiculous female characters that has some lame problem with the lead male. Not that she didn't, but it wasn't really her fault this time. Inami's likable because she's a normal hardworking person otherwise. I think it'll work out between her and Takanashi.

Poplar, Satou, Souma... all great characters. I had a huge crush on Satou, and a little one on Souma for a different reason. It took me a while to get used to Yamada, but I ended up liking her, too, after whatever episode she was introduced in. Loved the dynamics between her and Souma. (Souma's appearances in the OP were hilarious, btw.)

Didn't care for Yachiyo or Kyouko that much. Despite that, they were still pretty cool overall. Maybe if I saw more of them... I would like to see the possible spoiler[budding romance between Yachiyo and Satou. You know she was totally feeling something at the end there.] And I agree it would be great to see more of Takanashi's sisters. For me, especially... whichever one was writing romance novels. And the lawyer.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Also the character we never see talking got a part, turns out she is the token "normal" character, trying to convince herself she is normal, though in the end had the rest of the cast thinking she is the weird one.

I really liked Matsumoto. She's obviously very well written considering she only ever spoke for a few minutes in the last episode and I'm still able to absolutely *love* her. She could be one of my favorite characters. Ha! Smile

Uhh. Sorry I couldn't add more to the discussion earlier... Oh well.
reiko_rage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the series, and as much as a enjoyed the comedy, I was quite disappointed in, what I felt like, was a lack of conclusion.

I'm the kind of person who really needs to have a sense of closing when dealing with any form of entertainment, and with this series, I believe that there were too many questions left unanswered, especially when most of the characters appealed to me. spoiler[Did anything ever happen with Yachiko and Sato? What was Yamada's real story? And the everlonging question of, was Inami's androphobia ever really cured? ] And I suppose that if there's not going to be an 2nd season, the answers to these questions will be left up to the imagination.

Quote:
And I agree it would be great to see more of Takanashi's sisters.

Yeah, I wish the same thing. My fav sister was the alcoholic! She seemed pretty hot too, for her being dumped constantly, it really made me wonder...

My favorite character was definitely Yamada! She was so cute! And I loved how she longed for a proper family so much that she tried to form one on her own through the people in the restaurant. Takanashi was also one that I admired much. He definitely seemed like the most responsible and selfless in the family, treat him well Inami.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah. Favorite characters. Out of the Takanashi family, first, of course, Takanashi himself. I thought his younger sister was just adorable, and there seemed to be some yandere under that skin. And I'm unmistakably attracted to yandere/yangire.
As for the characters at the restaurant, at first I'd go with the head chef. Later on I realized that Yamada was the one. She's specially cute at 0:45 in the opening she's in.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Kiddtic (not being able to find this thread), I just had a similar experience on Facebook. I decided that I'd update My TV and movie interest pages and since this was a favorite of the past year I wanted to include it in he TV section. Usually you can just type in a title in their search engine, and it will be there somewhere on the top page. Not with Working!!... took me 5 minutes to find not only a Working!! page but one in which "TV Show" was the category.

I'm sort of glad MM probably won't end up being one of my favorites... I'd probably NEVER be able to find that one. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6