• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite Manga of 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Wiizard wrote:
Yeah, the sceneario's were overdrawn some times, the action scenes were confusing as hell, and it didn't help that Bakuman and Hunter were having such good arcs. And you're right, it's sad that we don't get much good shonen action manga. This is a genre that, I think, because is so oversaturated, could use some more good releases. FMA is over, Bleach and Naruto are meh at best nowadays (in my opinion at least), and the ones that are good get sacked midway through (like Psyren or Sensei no Barrage).

Yeah, I honestly think his editors begged him to make that saga longer than it should of been just to prolong the series life. They know once One Piece ends, the magazine is going to go into a dark age in terms of sales for a while. But again, I'm glad it went back to how good it used to be.

HxH is on and off great- at points it had some of the better story in shonen action manga, but as you said it's always on hiatus. Naruto has dissolved into a bleh area, Bleach is... don't get me started. Not only is the story, bad, but the artwork -_- It's like he refuses to draw backgrounds.

Hopefully something good will pop up again soon and NOT get canceled.
Wiizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
Hopefully something good will pop up again soon and NOT get canceled.

If there's such a thing as a merciful god, Kurogane will hang around for a good while.

I just started reading it, it's quite different than most martial arts shonen.
Ensof

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Best New Release: For me the clear winner was NonNonBa. The 1930s was a troubled but fascinating decade in Japanese history that we don’t get to see much of in manga, so for that to be combined with yokai and a poignant autobiographical tale was just awesome. A caveat: I haven’t had the chance to read Barbara, Message to Adolf or Rohan at the Louvre yet, and I have high hopes for all three.

Worst New Release: The first volume of Jack the Ripper: Hell Blade was quite promising; the review here at ANN sums it up pretty well. I was also pleased that Seven Seas adopted the dialogue to the Victorian English setting (bar one or two gaffes), unlike what Viz did with Cain Saga/Godchild. So it was surprising and disappointing that the second volume was a total train wreck. It was hectic, muddled, nasty and strangely boring. New characters were introduced every few pages and every Victorian horror cliché imaginable was wheeled out. It was also the most misogynistic book I’ve read in years. Every woman was either a demon or a degenerate. The only one who might not have been (and even she didn’t come across as likeable) was tortured for kicks. Really not recommended.

Best Ongoing Series: Being a Mohiro Kitoh fanboy I have to nominate Bokurano, relentlessly grim though it is. I don’t know what it is about Kitoh’s works, I just find them compulsive to read (with the exception of Noririn, his ill-advised bicycling series). Honourable mentions include The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (which always seems to be on the cusp of cancellation; please don’t drop it Dark Horse), The Summit of the Gods (first volume in two years!), Dorohedoro (just plain fun) and Blade of the Immortal (a welcome return to form of late).

Best Concluding Series: Another clear winner here: Twin Spica. It wasn’t just a great series, it ended brilliantly too. And stepping outside manga: Scalped, my favourite American comic, went out with a bang.

Best Discoveries: I finally got around to picking up Real. I’m not a fan of basketball, let alone wheelchair basketball, so I put off giving it a go until this year. To my surprise I enjoyed it even more than Vagabond. It has just the right balance of tragedy and inspiration. Over in scanlation-land I checked out Kyoko Okazaki at last, and River’s Edge totally blew me away. Shortly afterwards Vertical announced they were releasing Helter Skelter in 2013, so I’m very much looking forward to that.

And the Cancellation Blues: It looks certain that Eden and MPD Psycho, after their brief returns in 2011, are now dead, though of course Dark Horse won’t admit it for another few years when it’s too obvious to deny. Blood Alone, rescued once before, has become the victim of a change in publisher back in Japan, where it is also on hiatus. Further releases from Seven Seas or a second rescue (this time from Kodansha or Vertical) seem unlikely. Finally, I’m worried about World Embryo. Volume 9 was due out at Christmas but abruptly disappeared from Madman’s website, which may mean that Chuang Yi has dropped the series. Fingers crossed that it has merely been pushed back.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ensof wrote:
Worst New Release: The first volume of Jack the Ripper: Hell Blade was quite promising; the review here at ANN sums it up pretty well. I was also pleased that Seven Seas adopted the dialogue to the Victorian English setting (bar one or two gaffes), unlike what Viz did with Cain Saga/Godchild. So it was surprising and disappointing that the second volume was a total train wreck. It was hectic, muddled, nasty and strangely boring. New characters were introduced every few pages and every Victorian horror cliché imaginable was wheeled out. It was also the most misogynistic book I’ve read in years. Every woman was either a demon or a degenerate. The only one who might not have been (and even she didn’t come across as likeable) was tortured for kicks. Really not recommended.

Okay, definitely not picking this one up then. I was considering it, because I will admit to sharing in the strange fascination with Jack the Ripper, but I think I'll stick with From Hell if I'm looking for sequential art take on it.
Ghost«OF»Snake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5