• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Streamed in UK

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Legal streams should not look crappy. That's what makes fans go get fansubs, because legal streams do that, fortunately, Funi is actually considerate of fans and makes theirs look nice.
Uh....
Conan-san wrote:
I'm sorry, can you call this acceptable?
To be fair, some of the pixellation in that screencap is due to mangle ent failing to use a decent downscaling algorithm, the stream itself when fullscreened isn't quite that bad.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
Legal streams should not look crappy. That's what makes fans go get fansubs, because legal streams do that, fortunately, Funi is actually considerate of fans and makes theirs look nice.
Uh....
Conan-san wrote:
To be fair, some of the pixellation in that screencap is due to mangle ent failing to use a decent downscaling algorithm, the stream itself when fullscreened isn't quite that bad.

Agreed on that point it didn't look so horrible fulscreen (didn't watch much but wasn't noticably bad, but why downscale not play at native.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

I call it watchable, and it is. I managed to get through all 5 episodes without ripping my eyes out at any rate. My main complaint is the lack of keyboard controls - I miss being able to pause with the spacebar or skip back and forwards with the arrow keys like you can on Crunchy.

Quote:
I think that the UK companies should buck their ideas up Because they are fighting two fronts; Fansubs and Imports (three if you count counterfeit DVDs, of which I could point out plenty of places one could find them within Glasgow, of all places) And when I can buy Nadesico for £21 import in a format that is far superior to buying it for £70 from ADV uk (when that was still possible) then they are failing.

The UK anime market is smaller than that in the US so prices are necessarily higher. Not only does the US anime industry simply have a larger customer base, less of them are importing from overseas..

Quote:
Why do you think I'm complaining like this? Do you think I do this for the jollies?!

I've noted to Manga my disapproval of these streams in as many ways as I can possibly do.

Nobody here can do anything about it, but since you can and indeed already have complained directly to Manga's acquisitions & marketing manager on Twitter..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Quote:
I think that the UK companies should buck their ideas up Because they are fighting two fronts; Fansubs and Imports (three if you count counterfeit DVDs, of which I could point out plenty of places one could find them within Glasgow, of all places) And when I can buy Nadesico for £21 import in a format that is far superior to buying it for £70 from ADV uk (when that was still possible) then they are failing.

The UK anime market is smaller than that in the US so prices are necessarily higher. Not only does the US anime industry simply have a larger customer base, less of them are importing from overseas..

I do at least see moves to make import less apealing (what with them being both considerably faster and cheaper, and with large numbers of shows slimply never being released here).

I did note recently, that the box sets Manga are putting out for funimation sub licenses (Negima!? and Darker than black) are actually at the same time as the US equivalent (and at not uncomparable price). Also we're getting EVA 1.11 with almost no delay. Some random Beez releases also had little to no delay; Gundam00 vol3 (though that may be due to the massive delays on the US release due the the inevitable authoring problems).
MVM is still releasing shows that aired a fair while back though, and most will have given up and imported.

I still try to keep my collection UK releases, but that's not exactly helping the UK industry either as it's been OoP ADV/Revelation releases recently.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, companies dropping dead with the exception of Gonzo and maybe KyoAni never helps.

Taking off a well-to-do block on an otherwise backwater channel is something of a step back too.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is a positive move, but its up to Manga to iron out the kinks. They have a lot of work to catch up to the japanese cuts.

Makes me wonder if Manga have the license to Baccano. That's more than likely my next purchase, but I'd rather get the import box set, than be leeched for individual dvds.

The way I see it, support for the industry, through purchases is better than none at all, regardless of import or U.K release. My money is still going to those who need it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2