• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Changeling Shōjo Manga's Shio Satō Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akhu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
This is a very sad notice for the shojo manga world =(
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
If I had known that thing was gonna be OOP, I might've bought it the first time.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
RIP

Could someone please add her and her works in the encyclopaedia? I didn't find anything when I searched... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dho331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Laughing "first time shojo manga was translated" so honey and clover is a shonen manga? Rolling Eyes
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
dho331 wrote:
Laughing "first time shojo manga was translated" so honey and clover is a shonen manga? Rolling Eyes

No, it's josei.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
dho331 wrote:

Honey and Clover launched in Japan's Cutie Comic in 2000, and Viz Media launched Honey and Clover in Shojo Beat in 2007. Viz published Four Shōjo Stories with Matt Thorn's translation in 1996.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yep, Viz experimented a bit with shoujo manga back in 1996-1997. They published a few short stories by different mangaka and released these as an anthology TPB. The Japanese found this insulting, because the stories featured were all from wellkwown mangaka. Four Shoujo Stories was pulled off the shelves and it now quite rare. Supposedly, Viz still has several boxes stuffed away in a warehouse, but they're not allowed to sell them.

Viz also released A,A' by Moto Hagio and Love Song by Keiko Nishi. Banana Fish ran in Pulp, so I guess that was one of the early ones as well. In 1998 there was Animerica Extra, a manga anthology that focused on shoujo titles. After that, Viz released two dozen or so shoujo manga under their shoujo-label. With the conclusion of Red River, this label has probably obsolete, IIRC. Viz now labels all their shoujo manga as Shoujo Beat.

Honey & Clover wasn't even one of the first six titles in Shoujo Beat Laughing
soundofsilence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Vale, Shio Satō. Sad Hope her family's doing alright.
dho331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tamaria"]Yep, Viz experimented a bit with shoujo manga back in 1996-1997. They published a few short stories by different mangaka and released these as an anthology TPB. The Japanese found this insulting, because the stories featured were all from wellkwown mangaka. Four Shoujo Stories was pulled off the shelves and it now quite rare. Supposedly, Viz still has several boxes stuffed away in a warehouse, but they're not allowed to sell them.

Viz also released A,A' by Moto Hagio and Love Song by Keiko Nishi. Banana Fish ran in Pulp, so I guess that was one of the early ones as well. In 1998 there was Animerica Extra, a manga anthology that focused on shoujo titles. After that, Viz released two dozen or so shoujo manga under their shoujo-label. With the conclusion of Red River, this label has probably obsolete, IIRC. Viz now labels all their shoujo manga as Shoujo Beat.

Honey & Clover wasn't even one of the first six titles in Shoujo Beat Laughing[/quote]

I misread the article, thought it said they had just published it recently.
dho332

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Yep, Viz experimented a bit with shoujo manga back in 1996-1997. They published a few short stories by different mangaka and released these as an anthology TPB. The Japanese found this insulting, because the stories featured were all from wellkwown mangaka. Four Shoujo Stories was pulled off the shelves and it now quite rare. Supposedly, Viz still has several boxes stuffed away in a warehouse, but they're not allowed to sell them.

Honey & Clover wasn't even one of the first six titles in Shoujo Beat Laughing

i misread the article, I thought they said that they were just translating these titles now and that it was "first shojo evar lawl" on another note, is shojo manga really that young in the states?0_0 btw: my other account won't let me post ever. I'm lucky when it does work Neutral
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Matt Thorn give some insights:
http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=438

Go Matt secure the right for Zero One and get into English.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
dho332 wrote:

on another note, is shojo manga really that young in the states?0_0

Yeah, pretty much. Ten years ago they finally started to grasp the concept of comics for girls and many shoujo manga were still marketed toward both genres. Most of the early shoujo manga from Viz were fantasy or science fiction stories instead of the genres that are now popular (romance, comedy, BL).

Viz's (old?) definition of shoujo manga:

Quote:
shô·jo (sho'jo) n. 1. Manga appealing to both female and male readers. 2. Exciting stories with true-to-life characters and the thrill of exotic locales. 3. Connecting the heart and mind through real human relationships.

Tokyopop was the first publisher to publish really girly stuff such as Sailor Moon, but they probably wouldn't have done it if the anime hadn't been a success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1