• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michigan Middle School Boy Suspended Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I follow dtm42's logic.

I think you may be hard pressed to find any human being that has not thought about killing someone at some point in their lives. There is not much difference between thinking about it compared with writing it down. This kind of thing happened time to time in my schools (primary up to university), just not in the guise of 'Death Notes'.

Hell, an old neighbour of mine in her early 40s tried using voodoo in order to kill a set of noisy neighbours. So she told me anyway, I just thought of it as amusing.

Last edited by 12skippy21 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrakeWants2Speak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
NOT AGAIN Sad
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
they can't be kira. good kira shouldn't getting caught.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Stmurda23 wrote:

this is ridiculous, i write names in my hand made death notes all the time, it's a way to deal with frustration and it's not like we're actually killing anyone, even though they desserve to die Smile

Well, I hope you specify such methods of death, such as of a surfeit of eels, that no one could think that you could carry them out.
XYZeke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people don't possess enough common sense that a Death Note won't work no matter how much malicious desire you put into it and writing in a notebook won't solve your problems. Sorry if I'm being too critical.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
yet again anther dumbass does some thing stupid and every one over reacts from it
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
An indefinite suspension does not mean a permanent suspension. Chances are the powers that be are trying to figure out the final length of punishment. I don't think this kid is going back to school this year, but could be back in the fall after some counseling.

Not knowing the specifics, I'd venture to say the kid make a stupid decision. Come to think of it, it's a stupid decision regardless of the specifics. This isn't how you respond to a bully. You respond to a bully by informing the faculty and not giving the jackass the time of day. Ignore him enough and he'll dig his own grave.

To those saying boo on the school district, no. Overreacting is explusion for a nail file. This is a legit response. Besides, don't Death Notes have Da Rules printed in them? That would kinda blow the "The adults just don't get it" argument.
oishi_47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you may be hard pressed to find any human being that has not thought about killing someone at some point in their lives. There is not much difference between thinking about it compared with writing it down.

There is a big difference, though. It's like what makes someone committing a crime a criminal, getting caught. He could have just thought about killing them with a Death Note and nothing would have happened, but he wrote it down and that's why he's suspended and we're discussing it. Hence the big sociological difference in the two actions despite there not being much of a practical one.

Quote:
An indefinite suspension does not mean a permanent suspension. Chances are the powers that be are trying to figure out the final length of punishment. I don't think this kid is going back to school this year, but could be back in the fall after some counseling.

I've seen kids come back to the same school from a "hit list" suspension.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This isn't how you respond to a bully. You respond to a bully by informing the faculty and not giving the jackass the time of day. Ignore him enough and he'll dig his own grave.

Yes, and when they knock two teeth out of a kid's mouth and only get a two-day suspension, I'm sure their victim will feel completely safe and really pleased with the outcome.

Joe Mello wrote:
To those saying boo on the school district, no. Overreacting is explusion for a nail file. This is a legit response. Besides, don't Death Notes have Da Rules printed in them? That would kinda blow the "The adults just don't get it" argument.

You just ruined your own argument. If Death Notes have rules printed inside them, then any adult with a semi-normal IQ will realise that they cannot possibly be used to harm other people, unless there is an overreaction.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The kid was doing something that was, and should be precieved as, a death threat. He knew what he was doing and was stupid enough to follow through with it. On top of this, he brought the damn thing to school. I don't pity him.

Why do all the weirdo anime fans have to make the casual and more normal fans feel stigmatized for watching anime?

It's a shame that stuff like this actually happens...

Well thats my opinion anyhow. Embarassed
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Nineofclubs wrote:
The kid was doing something that was, and should be precieved as, a death threat. He knew what he was doing and was stupid enough to follow through with it. On top of this, he brought the damn thing to school. I don't pity him.

Why do all the weirdo anime fans have to make the casual and more normal fans feel stigmatized for watching anime?

It's a shame that stuff like this actually happens...

Well thats my opinion anyhow. Embarassed

many of those people are not even anime fans or weirdo. they just want to look cool.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nineofclubs wrote:

Number one, why would he think it would be classified as a death threat? It isn't like Death Notes are dangerous or anything. And there hasn't been a single case of a guy who wrote in a Death Note then going on to kill. Not one.

Number two, you are a heartless person.

Nineofclubs wrote:

You're the one who isn't normal. It is a perfectly natural thing to want someone dead at least once in your life. For teenagers it is even more likely.

Oh, and it isn't as if Anime fandom - which is very niche - is full of normal people in the first place.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So is Death Note the new black trenchcoat?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
why would he think it would be classified as a death threat? It isn't like Death Notes are dangerous or anything.

Because it's writing down someone's name in a notebook and writing down a cause of death right next to it. Anybody unfamiliar with the series would be freaking out. Also, kids should know what's considered a death threat at school: I knew before entering middle school. Hell, even the agendas they pass out for free at the beginning of the year have a set of school standards that mentions threats of violence. Maybe the kid didn't perceive it as a threat, but he should've known that anybody randomly reading it would think so. It's probably why there are so many bomb threats; kids think it's a joke and that nothing will come of it. I remember having about 4 in one year.

I really find it hard to judge him from what we've been given, though. Yeah, he wasn't thinking by bring it to school, but we don't know if he was being bullied or thinking it'd be "fun" or what. We don't know how long he'll be suspended or if he'll get counseling. Obviously, if he's being bullied to that extent he'll need it. We need more details...

Sadly, everything like this should be taken seriously; obviously, threats lose some of their meaning when based off a fictional series where it clearly shows the result of such a notebook, but it's not like everybody knows what Death Note is. Better to be safe than sorry, considering the school shootings and student murders. Or God forbid there is some kid out there who makes a Death Note, only understanding the concept of writing people's names and death, and actually acts on it. With the internet and everything, it's possible.
kensh1ro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Not going to go into "Columbine", "liberty", "harmless prank", "Death Note = death threat" arguments (though they're very good ones), I'll just say this:
He brought a book titled "Death Note" with a list of students that attend the same school. There are a few ways to interpret this:
1. He wants to kill the students/wants them dead
2. He's crying for help (mental or emotional)
3. He's just being funny
4. He's trying to get a lawsuit on the school/school board
5. He's stupid
6. He really believes in certain Death Note elements (see #2 or 5)
7. He wants internet fame (wish granted)
8. He wanted to see what he could get away with (see #4 or 5)
9. He wanted to disrupt school activities
I'm sure there are more, but I keep thinking back to the Monster anime... for some reason.
Edit: Maybe it's because I'm think like L/Runge here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6