• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michigan Middle School Boy Suspended Over 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unready

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This isn't how you respond to a bully. You respond to a bully by informing the faculty and not giving the jackass the time of day. Ignore him enough and he'll dig his own grave.

I think you're thinking bullies are like Bluto in Popeye. Real-life bullies are successful at bullying because they're adept at social manipulation. Also, they have as immense a capacity to learn as any other human. The longer they engage in violent or abusive behavior, the better they get at concealing it from people who would otherwise stop them.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Here we go AGAIN......
Rolling Eyes
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid, I made a comic book about a teacher I hated getting blown to smithereens by a fictitious superhero I had made up. I also made a comic book which featured bullies from my school getting the living tar beaten out of them by aforementioned superhero.

Did that mean I was going to do anything to hasten the process of them dying? HECK no.

Haven't we all wished ill will on those who have made us suffer in the past? Is there any reason to punish kids for expressing their emotions through the written word? It sure as heck is better than them building up all of those feelings of anymosity inside, until they reach a breaking point.

This is one of the many reasons I hate the public education system. As the Who said: "Leave them kids alone!"
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
This isn't how you respond to a bully. You respond to a bully by informing the faculty and not giving the jackass the time of day. Ignore him enough and he'll dig his own grave.

I think you're thinking bullies are like Bluto in Popeye. Real-life bullies are successful at bullying because they're adept at social manipulation. Also, they have as immense a capacity to learn as any other human. The longer they engage in violent or abusive behavior, the better they get at concealing it from people who would otherwise stop them.

Exactly. In almost every single case I've read about and have experienced personally, the faculty can't do anything mostly because almost always the bully never fits the stereotypical profile of the deliquent punk. In fact the roles are usually reversed if the he/she doesn't commit suicide first.

Here are just a couple out of many examples:
http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2010/01/24/the_untouchable_mean_girls/
Quote:

Last fall, she (Phoebe Prince) moved from Ireland into western Massachusetts, a new town, a new high school, a new country, a new culture. ...

She was a freshman and she had a brief fling with a senior, a football player, and for this she became the target of the Mean Girls, who decided then and there that Phoebe didn’t know her place and that Phoebe would pay.

Kids can be mean, but the Mean Girls took it to another level, according to students and parents. They followed Phoebe around, calling her a slut. When they wanted to be more specific, they called her an Irish slut.

The name-calling, the stalking, the intimidation was relentless.

Ten days ago, Phoebe was walking home from school when one of the Mean Girls drove by in a car. An insult and an energy drink can came flying out the car window in Phoebe’s direction.

Phoebe kept walking, past the abuse, past the can, past the white picket fence, into her house. Then she walked into a closet and hanged herself. Her 12-year-old sister found her.

you see, the real bullies never stand out as being bad kids:
Quote:

They had a dance, a cotillion, at the Log Cabin in Holyoke two days after Phoebe’s sister found her in the closet, and some who were there say one of the Mean Girls bragged about how she played dumb with the detectives who questioned her.

Last week, one of the Springfield TV stations sent a crew to South Hadley High to talk to the kids.

One girl was interviewed on camera, and she said what was common knowledge: that bullies were stalking the corridors of South Hadley High.

As soon as the TV crew was out of sight, one of the Mean Girls came up and slammed the girl who had been interviewed against a locker and punched her in the head.

The Mean Girls are pretty, and popular, and play sports.

So far, they appear to be untouchable, too.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=7228335
Quote:

Eric Mohat, 17, was harassed so mercilessly in high school that when one bully said publicly in class, "Why don't you go home and shoot yourself, no one will miss you," he did.

In a federal lawsuit, the parents of Eric Mohat allege that their son committed suicide after being tormented by bullies at his Mentor, Ohio, High School. They say the school knew about the bullying and failed to protect their son.

Now his parents, William and Janis Mohat of Mentor, Ohio, have filed a lawsuit in federal court, saying that their son endured name-calling, teasing, constant pushing and shoving and hitting in front of school officials who should have protected him.

The lawsuit -- filed March 27, alleges that the quiet but likable boy, who was involved in theater and music, was called "gay," "fag," "queer" and "homo" and often in front of his teachers. Most of the harassment took place in math class and the teacher -- an athletic coach -- was accused of failing to protect the boy.

The Columbine shooters were also relentlessly called queers, also physically beaten, and ostracized for their particular "deviant" tastes (gothic stuff, Rammstein) all by the "good" kids, some of the most popular guys in the school who were all-star football players. You wouldn't know this from most reports at all. In fact those initial reports tried to blame the whole Rammstein/dark/metal/gothic lifestyle for the shooting Rolling Eyes But later articles who tried to do more in depth coverage into the actual lives of the students involved and those who knew them, their friends -- not just rely on what the parents and faculty perceived -- painted a different picture.

Of course this doesn't excuse their actions ultimately but it does you insight into the root cause of this, after hearing what the friends of the shooters had to say and bear witness to constantly and how the parents/faculty dismissed the reports as "boys will be boys" referring to the football stars' actions as harmless fun, you can see the part that the victims themselves played in this.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The band your thinking of is Pink Floyd.... and the song is "Another Brick in The Wall."

While I agree to an extent that it is hard for me personally to forgive those who've... ahem wronged me while I was younger... I know that what you suggest above and this case here is not justice... it's more of a cry for help than anything, and one would hope that the ones involved don't realize exactly what is wrong with what they are doing and can thus get help as opposed to the worse thought that he did it intentionally as a threat...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
With respect to what configspace said about Columbine, after the shootings the bullies clammed up for a while and stopped picking on the "outcasts". But then the school implemented a new policy where anyone who was wearing gothic clothing and the like had "proper" clothing bought for them by the school and threatened with suspension if they didn't wear it. Once the bullies realised that they were not being blamed for the massacre and that the school was forcing conformity on the remaining students, they started up again. Sometimes it takes death to change people's behaviour, but that doesn't guarantee that the new behaviour will be better. And people always forget the lessons of the past.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
The band your thinking of is Pink Floyd.... and the song is "Another Brick in The Wall."
Part 2

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, all I know is that I was bullied from third grade through tenth (the whole rundown - I was ugly, I was weird, I was gay, I was pregnant, although I'm not sure how they managed to reconcile those last two, and kids in middle school threw rocks at me and my best friend), and I've never once made a hit list (pretend or no), shot anyone, or killed myself over it.

So obviously bullying isn't the only thing in play here; some stupidity on the part of the victim is also key.

Not to mention a culture that's far too quick to 'understand'.

In conclusion: kids, leave your Death Notes at home where they belong. People just interpret them the wrong way, and it's more trouble than it's worth.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
cue anime haters using the ol "video game made him do it and want it legislated" but replace video game with anime and manga and claiming anime and manga are murder simulator and say it should be legislated un 3...2...1. How long till the anime hater decide to use the "think of the children" just like the video game hater did before them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
My god. This boy is a genius. He got on the news this easily. Why haven't I thought about that?

Screws, screws and more screws falling out. The world gets more interesting as we speak.
Well then, time to find a building, jump off it, and see if this tail is for real and that I can fly like Goku, but even if I can't, I'm sure my flying yellow cloud will rescue me; if not, Spider-Man will.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
With respect to what configspace said about Columbine ...

Well, let's keep things clear. Shooting people is bad. Even if nobody had died, what the Columbine perpetrators did was wrong, whether they were provoked or not.

This kid thought about two people not existing and wrote it down in a place he apparently intended to keep private. He never told anyone, verbally or in writing, that he intended to take any action whatsoever to make it happen. There's no other indication that he had any plans for anything at all. Daydreaming about someone being killed does not constitute planning or threatening their harm or deaths.

hakojo wrote:
Well, all I know is that I was bullied from third grade through tenth ... and I've never once made a hit list (pretend or no), shot anyone, or killed myself over it.

So obviously bullying isn't the only thing in play here; some stupidity on the part of the victim is also key.

But if you had written about it in a diary and if someone else had read your diary without your permission, should there have been a criminal or civil response against you? Otherwise, yeah, bringing it to school and losing it doesn't demonstrate a capability to overcome anything Darwin might think up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

But if you had written about it in a diary and if someone else had read your diary without your permission, should there have been a criminal or civil response against you?

Do I think that as a rational human being? Absolutely not.

Would I think that if I were a school administrator and would be held responsible on the off-chance that he did decide to go through with it? Sadly yes. Regardless if the suspension actually helps or not (I view it as more damaging really), I as an administrator could at least say that I took action and tried to discipline the kid, but he was "beyond all control" or something.

It's all about saving face in front of the publci.
acce245

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Come on, this is Michigan we are talking about. Being literate is a crime in some parts of Detroit.

But in all seriousness, must agree with the folks who feel it looks like a hitlist or threat. What if it were your name in someone's deathnote like that?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
acce245 wrote:
What if it were your name in someone's deathnote like that?

I'd be as happy as a sheep in a sunny day.

Great Teacher Onizuka could solve this with a wink, desu.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
This is like, crime imitates art, hypothetically. Only the person, or few, would initially understand what it means. But writing someone's name in a hit-list book is the same thing. Cancelling out that the kid never intended to physically harm anyone, and pretended that the "death note" would do it for him....in the event he'd never seen the show, he may've simply said: "I'll kill you", or nothing at all. The question is, is this a bad influence on them? It's that simple really, and the answer is simple also. It's "yes".

From where I came from, at 14 years old you had a bedtime since you had to get up for school in the morning, and would not be able to catch such a late night show.

As far as I know, Death Note isn't, or wasn't, really popular at all. There was maybe a small period, like a couple months, where I'd hear people talking about it every so often, but I never recall it being popular among that agegroup. Whether it's 12-14, or 15-16. The only thing I can recall sprouting from Death Note's import, was a bunch of controversy and death threats made by some people who'd seen it.

I'd imagine the reason this has become a controversial discussion, is simply because this show gave a couple people, who'd seen it, a bad idea.

It's just the one fact, and that fact only, that this show gave a few immature people a bad idea. If they were 14, they shouldn't have been watching it to begin with. That wasn't the intended age for it in America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6