• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Would Kisuke Urahara be an acceptable nomination? (Note that I'm not nominating him at this time, just asking what people think of his eligibility.)

Bleach has such a massive cast that even though there is an ensemble (arguably several; the cast is frickin enormous), a good argument can be made that Urahara is not one of the main ensemble. And he contributes so much to the show. Much of what happens is basically spoiler[because of his attempts to fix one mistake he made a long time ago.] Plus he is a comic relief character, a mentor to various young men, a fount of plot-important information (if only he was a fountain, if you know what I mean), an armourer along the lines of Q from James Bond, and he also fulfills he role of the plot's go-to guy in several instances where it needed to be advanced (like him spoiler[building the gates that allow Ichigo and pals to travel to Soul Society and Hueco Mundo]).

If people are okay with him, I'll do a formal writeup.

Hmm... I would agree he would make a viable nominee. Although he doesn't get as much face time as some of the other secondary characters, the stuff he does do is always important either to the plot or characters. Also he's pretty much the ex machina in the series right now. When Urahara shows up, the tides have been turned in your favor. Although I'm not sure about the resent chapters' situation.
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Nominating:
Lt. Yamamoto Irrespsonible Captain Tylor pic
Primary role: Comic Relief, Second-in-Command
What Makes Him a Great Supporting Character: As Tylor’s first officer on the Soyokaze (and straight man to Tylor’s comedic foil), Yamamoto continually takes it upon himself to right what he perceives as Tylor’s wrongs, typically to disastrous results. In fact his first reaction to Tylor assuming control of the Soyokaze sums up his character's initial attitude towards Tylor quite nicely, "“He really is just an idiot! What’s wrong with the military? I would gladly sacrifice myself for the force, but I cannot work under this fool!” As the series progresses, and he begins to see Tylor’s peculiar brand of genius working, Yamamoto starts to question his long standing beliefs right up until Tylor does something else completely insane, and Yamamoto reverts to loathing his commanding officer. Yamamoto’s interactions with Tylor provide much of the humor of the series, but where his character really shines is late in the series when he finds the fine line between staying true to his beliefs and accepting Tylor as his captain. In a subtle way, when he finds this balance, he begins to carry the series more than Tylor, as the crew begin to look at him as a leader and Tylor trusts Yamamoto more to do right by them all.

Last edited by mow123 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Nominate

Kimura Azumanga Daioh pic
Primary Role: Comedic Relief
What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character: Kimura is a teacher. Rather than creating the warm, fuzzy educational atmosphere that teachers are supposed to foster Kimura is a perv. He is best known for standing, mouth agape with glasses covering his eyes as the female ensemble that makes up the Azumanga Daioh lead roles goes about their daily lives. One of the classic Kimura moments has him adjusting his schedule so that he can observe a swimming class with the female students. However, his character is much more complex than his in-school persona--he has a wife and kid, picks up litter, and donates to charities. Still, it is his awkwardness that the show exploits to great comedic effect.

Fool Kaleido Star pic
Primary Roles: Comedic Relief, prophet
What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character: Fool is the physical manifestation of the spirit of the stage, who is visible to those destined for greatness on the performing stage. He tries guide the lead character through her trials, but she doesn't respect Fool and is more concerned about his peeping tom habits than his wise commentary. Fool, whose height is measured in inches rather than feet, is subject to being randomly grabbed and thrust out of sight whenever the lead character has guests over to keep him from acting lewdly. His attitude is rather pretentious and he tries to convey himself as an authority, however, his constant slap-stick humor makes him seem very down to earth.

I'm sure I'll have more later as I have time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Sakae Jinnouchi, Summer Wars pic
Primary Role: Head of the Jinnouchi family
What Makes Her a Great Supporting Character:
Sakae Jinnouchi is the oldest family member and is the head of the Jinnouchi family. She has
pride, perseverance and determination to do whatever it takes to make her family functional.
As chaos breaks out Sakae Jinnouchi is there to save the day from all the chaos happening in
Japan. Without her pride and determination in her family it would of not gone the same way
and things would of turned out a lot differently. She is a leader in every sense of the word
and despite her age she is a very succesful leader.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Nomination:
monsley from conan, the boy in future. pic

Role:
begins as a villain, ends as a model for the children of morally courageous, though conflicted, adulthood.

What makes her a great supporting character:
she seems like the original of the characters kushana in nausicaä and lady eboshi in princess mononoke. (and maybe of dola in laputa and grandis in nadia??!!!)
like them, she's a strong girl who's cut her own path in a cruel, male world. and, while she has her idealism, she's come to the conclusion that the ends justify the means.
(it's true that once she starts to acknowledge her feminine side, she seems to become less powerful, which is not cool — but i see that as a frightened, anti-monsley campaign of lies on the part of the show's writers!)

she's a fierce and dogged enemy, but in the end spoiler[switches sides,] proving loyalty to her heart rather than to external authority or ideology.

she looks equally good in battle gear and spoiler[in a wedding dress.]

she's got red hair.

Last edited by ailblentyn on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Nominate

Kimura Azumanga Daioh pic
Primary Role: Comedic Relief
What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character: Kimura is a teacher. Rather than creating the warm, fuzzy educational atmosphere that teachers are supposed to foster Kimura is a perv. He is best known for standing, mouth agape with glasses covering his eyes as the female ensemble that makes up the Azumanga Daioh lead roles goes about their daily lives. One of the classic Kimura moments has him adjusting his schedule so that he can observe a swimming class with the female students. However, his character is much more complex than his in-school persona--he has a wife and kid, picks up litter, and donates to charities. Still, it is his awkwardness that the show exploits to great comedic effect.

Seconded. Kimura-sensei is the man!

Olliff wrote:

Hosaka, Minami-ke pic
Primary Roles: Comic Relief, Wannabe Love Interest
What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character: Hosaka is a very eccentric third year high school student, who happens to have a very disturbing one crush on Haruka. Because of this, he wants to become the high school's volleyball team's manager. Hosaka's level of eccentricity and just plain old delusional behavior quickly outshines many of the show's main characters. His bouts of melodramatic behavior, and his tendency to overdo just about everything is as entertaining as it plain old weird. Hosaka is first and foremost a perfectionist and narcissist in full bloom. Perhaps, his most remembered gags are his demonstrations of his superior cooking skills and his tendency to slowly strip off his jacket randomly while creeping out pretty much everyone else in the process.

Seconded as well. Real men hug fish.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Nominate:
Akira Ferrari

Series:
Aria: The Animation, Aria: The Natural, Aria: The Origination

Role:
Mentor to Akari, Aika, and Alice

What makes her a great supporting character:
Unlike many of the cast members in the series, Akira has a firm grasp on reality and often uses her knowledge to help her pupil, Aika. In addition to her own student, she also teaches wisdom to two other girls from competing companies, Akari and Alice.
Her words of wisdom have a great impact to the story as it progresses through each of the three seasons as each of the students achieve their goals.
Thought of as a "Devil Instructor" by Aika, Akari's influence on Aika is displayed in several episodes, which clearly shows how Aika relies on Akira's strict discipline while studying to become a Prima Undine. This strict teaching is then passed down to Akari and Alice as the three girls often train together.

Second:
Fool Kaleido Star
albert35077

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATE:

Captain Alex Rowe
http://www.usaanime.us/IntelTourney/Pics/AlexRowe.jpg

Series: Last Exile

Writeup:
Alex Rowe is a dark, brooding man with a tragic past. Captain of the airship Silvana, He was shown be an extremely skilled marksman, hand-to-hand combatant, and strategist. As the show progresses his story slowy developes into a deep, heart-wrenching tale that ultimately becomes a main catalyst in the main hero's progression
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Nominate:

Mr. Yotsuya pic
Series: Maison Ikkoku
Type: Comic relief, moocher
Role: Part time moocher, full time enigma, Mr. Yotsuya lives directly next door to the main character Yusaku in Room 4 and in an extreme move to allow him more access to annoy his unfortunate neighbor has put a hole big enough to crawl through between their walls. He spends most of his time figuring out ways to blackmail Yusaku for free food, indulging in a bit of voyeurism, or preventing Yusaku from studying by holding yet another nightly drinking party in Yusaku's room against Yusaku's will, but when it comes towards the end of the series, it's obvious that Yotsuya's constant meddling with Yusaku might have made him more of a man when it comes to main love interest Kyoko.

Mrs. Ichinose pic
Type: Comic relief, gossip girl
Role: Yet another resident of Maison Ikkoku, Mrs. Ichinose, as her name implies, lives in Room 1. She is usually found talking to Kyoko as the gossipy house wife. While Yotsuya might make Yusaku shape up, Mrs. Ichinose plays a similar role for Kyoko by pointing out how unreasonably jealous and child-like Kyoko acts with her evolving relationship with Yusaku. She also participates in drinking parties with Mr. Yotsuya in Yusaku's room and contributes to his living hell too.

Akemi Roppongi pic
Type: comic relief, the drunk chick
Role: The third major supporting house member of Maison Ikkoku, she lives in Room 6 on the other side of Yusaku. She works as the waitress at the bar frequented by the cast and also drinks frequently in Yusaku's room. While not making life as miserable for Kyoko and Yusaku as the other two house members do, towards the end of the series she also tests Kyoko's trust in Yusaku by threatening to take him for herself. While she might not have been serious, she still spurred Kyoko's motives forward in the end.

Second: Fool (Kaleido Star)

Last edited by zawa113 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nominate:

Kisuke Urahara, Bleach

Writeup:

Kisuke Urahara, Bleach Picture 1, Picture 2.
Roles: Plot Originator, Plot Mover, Provider of Plot-Specific Items and Services, Mentor, Trainer, Comic Relief, Source of Information
What Makes Him a Great Supporting Character: What doesn't? He does virtually everything. He is inextricably tied into the plot. He trains, teaches and informs other characters. He is easily one of the most important and interesting characters in the enormous Bleach cast. Oh, and he is greatly entertaining in his goofy moments. It seems fairly self-evident that he is a great "all-rounder". Whenever he is on screen Bleach is a funnier, better show.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Nominate:
Mr. Yotsuya pic
ooooh, second yotsuya.
(does his egg count as a supporting character?) Confused
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
@ailblentyn: his egg? That must be an anime only thing, I wrote those up based on the manga since I haven't actually seen the anime.

second:
Lt Yamamoto (Captain Tylor)
Tomoyo Daidouji (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Nominating: (whole slew of them this time, I'd consider them all to be supporting, but I could see a few debates on a few of them if they cross into a main cast member, I don't think they do, but on some of them I'd still understand). If you think I wrote too little, well I'm finally on Spring Break after everyone else got to be on it several weeks before me, my brain is partway off Razz

Fred Lou pic
Series, Outlaw Star
Type: money provider
Role: Fred Lou provides Gene and co. with certain things they need to maintain their spaceship, ranging from parts to money to enter a space race competition, all at great discounts because he happens to love Gene.

Hilda pic
Series, Outlaw Star
Type: Mentor
Role: Gene's mentor in coming into outer space, she's stolen a very valuable ship and navigation unit from the Kei Pirates. She helps Gene establish his spaceship and his desire to be in outer space as an outlaw.

Gilliam II pic
Series, Outlaw Star
Type: Ship's AI, assistant
Role: The space ship AI on the Outlaw Star, he assists the crew with everyday tasks aboard the ship. He will only listen to commands from those registered with the ship and his mini helpers (as pictured above) can move freely about the ship. Jim colored a specific one pink (the rest are blue) which seems to help out more noticeably than the others. When Harry is chasing Melfina back to the ship, Gilliam is able to respond quickly and shut the door before he can enter.

Mendoza pic
Series, Mysterious Cities of Gold
Type: Mentor, guardian
Role: While the kids of the series may spur on the adventure and come up with the clever solutions, they still constantly look to Mendoza for guidance and advice. Mendoza may have joined them at first just to find the titular mysterious cities, but his heart changes during the series to truly want to help the kids on their journey well before the end.

Tobi pic
Series, Noein
Type: Tech expert
Role: He (she?) is a technical expert from the future who comes to Haruka's time along with Karasu and several other Dragon Knights and works with Haruka to help protect her.

Mechazawa pic
Series, Cromartie High School
Type: Robot who doesn't think he is one
Role: A robot with an abnormally soothing voice who does not realize he is a robot, he sometimes becomes the topic of discussion among the main cast as to wether he's actually a human or not. Once he turns into a motorcycle for several episodes, Kamiyama also uses him as one, only to get arrested a few times due to lack of license and helmet.

Noboru Yamaguchi pic
Series, Cromartie High School
Type: Comedy enthusiast
Role: Self-appointed comedy rival to Kamiyama (the lead), he constantly tries to outdo his rival in postcard comedy while secretly desiring to join up with him as a duo. His gang at Destrade High School believes he does not like comedy because he always looks so serious when thinking up new jokes.

Autor pic
Series, Princess Tutu
Type: Writer, mentor
Role: Appearing only in the second half, Autor assists Fakir with learning how to write stories spoiler[like Drosselmeyer. When the town turns into ravens, Autor tries his best to protect Fakir from the angry bookmen, who have come to cut off his hands as they had Drosselmeyer.]

Mr. Cat/Neko-sensei pic
Series, Princess Tutu
Type: Ballet Teacher
Role: A great motivator of his students (get better or marry me!!) he also sometimes gives out some accidentally good advice to his students during the series and only wants to see them get better at ballet. Or perhaps to win a wife.

Edel pic
Series, Princes Tutu
Role: A puppet designed by Drosselmeyer, she leads Duck/Ahiru down the path Drosselmeyer desires of the story. She is also supposed to be an unfeeling doll, but in the end spoiler[leads Fakir and Duck to where they can rescue to Mytho from Kraehe and in the end burns herself to lead Duck, Mytho, and Fakir out of the dark cave where the first half finale had taken place.]
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Mr. Cat/Neko-sensei pic
Series, Princess Tutu
Type: Ballet Teacher

Edel pic
Series, Princes Tutu

I second these. Princess Tutu wouldn't be the awesome show it is without these two.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Nominate

Komui Lee pic

Series: D-gray-man

Role: Supervisor of the Black Order, Comic Relief

What Makes Him a Great Supporting Character: He's the Supervisor of the Black Order & also Lenalee's older brother. What decided me to nominate him is because of his hard work for the organization, put aside all this goofy, twisted & this "sister complex" personality of his and all you get is a man with alot of respect with his work and with his co-workers. And what made Allan & the other exorcists become stronger is due to the tasks that he gave to them

Last edited by PiercingArrow on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
(will update this post as nominations come in, for ease of counting)
Vote For:
Balalaika
Mechazawa
Natsume Reiko

Nominate:
I'd like to nominate the entire supporting cast of Gintama and LoGH, but since I can't, I'll pretend they're above consideration and will single out characters from other shows.

Mao [pic1 ; pic2]
Series: Darker than Black
Roles: main character's friend, comic relief (at times)
Reason: He's the only one from the old team supporting Hei and Yin to make it to the second season, gain a proper backstory (which in turn develops the story of the Contractors as a whole). Generally a trusted friend, voice of reason, and often comic relief because of his body(-ies).
(Note: it's a tough call between him and Kirihara, but I think he scores points for simply being quite unusual)

Franz d'Epinay [pic]
Series: Gankutsuou
Roles: main character's friend, tragic figure
A secondary character that was much more likeable (and reasonable) than the main character (Albert), which makes his fate so much more tragic.

I would also like to nominate Kalinin from FMP! - but mostly for his role in the novels, which have yet to be animated. I suppose that doesn't count?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27