• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Minigame

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anyway, a request: if a character you have nominated is slated for Groups B-D, please check on the pic you posted for it. Although having the pics and write-ups posted as part of the nomination has definitely streamlined things for me, it would help even more if the pics were tweaked to certain standards - i.e. dimensions between 200 and 400 pixels, the focused character cropped out when in a pic with others (or a lot of empty space), and the pic file available in .jpg format. I had to do a lot of this kind of adjusting, or in some cases even find new pics; only about a third of the pics for Group A characters were usable without alteration.

Sorry Key I can't do that for the time being. Work filters block images and image sites, at home my router's wireless signal has been dead for months now and now my laptop's ethernet card just crapped out one me last night. My only source of internet is work and my PS3 now for the time being...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I successfully nominated three characters, one of which was Nana. The pictures for other two needed touching up (one was a PNG, the other too big in pixel size), so I just did that.

Reika's picture.
Kisuke's picture.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Ultimately, we ended up with 17 participants (Spastic Minnow got one in sometime between abunai and bluebeard's, and dtm got his in about 10 minutes before Key's), which is about average.

Hah, I was kind of hoping that my entry was too late. That way I could have avoided being humiliated in the Minigame (already I'm regretting numerous choices, one of which could pretty much kill me in one of the groups). Ah well.
farichada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I'm surprised at who my winner turned out to be. If we'll still use "it's a main character" as an excuse during the tournament then I'll most likely do as bad as I did in the last minigame(which pretty much involved 0 research and popularity before anything else). And during a quick glance at wiki, I realized so many characters that would be considered part of the main cast, strictly speaking.
One single thing I'll definitely regret later is picking Balalaika instead of November 11. Oh, I'll definitely support November 11 when the time comes.

egoist wrote:
Olliff wrote:
This will definitely come up.

I suppose we should prepare for a storm, in that case. Too many characters reach said borderline, yet some still intend to use that as a factor. I, on the other hand, will completely ignore that, as the phase to decide whether they're mains or not is already over. Though that's what I'll be sticking to, but I suppose the first phase will be composed mostly of popularity based votes; perhaps until reasons are required.

If you are referring to Alex freaking I'm not a supporting character Rowe, you better believe that this will come up. I will admit he is well written, likable, cooler than ice, and a cape flapping badass. Too bad he is main and this tournament is for supporting characters. If I'm wrong, would you mind revealing who you are referring to? Cool
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anyway, a request: if a character you have nominated is slated for Groups B-D, please check on the pic you posted for it. Although having the pics and write-ups posted as part of the nomination has definitely streamlined things for me, it would help even more if the pics were tweaked to certain standards - i.e. dimensions between 200 and 400 pixels, the focused character cropped out when in a pic with others (or a lot of empty space), and the pic file available in .jpg format. I had to do a lot of this kind of adjusting, or in some cases even find new pics; only about a third of the pics for Group A characters were usable without alteration.

My pics for Ichiro Mihara and Kaname Chidori have been resized now. They were the only two over your size limit (not counting Yue, who you've already replaced. 12 pixels over. Oops). You will probably need to refresh your cache, though, as I uploaded the resized images with the same file name to the same location.

The image for Winry is a little on the narrow side. I can look for a different one if you'd prefer.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
My pics for Ichiro Mihara and Kaname Chidori have been resized now. They were the only two over your size limit (not counting Yue, who you've already replaced. 12 pixels over. Oops). You will probably need to refresh your cache, though, as I uploaded the resized images with the same file name to the same location.

The image for Winry is a little on the narrow side. I can look for a different one if you'd prefer.

Actually, the pic for Yue was replaced because I didn't like the resolution on it, not because of the size. (And man, it was tough to find a pic of her with her juice box which had a decent resolution. I almost had to break out my DVDs. . .) I did this in a couple of other cases, too.

The Winry pic is probably okay, although I'm kinda partial to this one. (I'd consider using this one, but somehow I think it would count purely as fan art instead. Twisted Evil )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The Winry pic is probably okay, although I'm kinda partial to this one.

Yeah, that's a better one. I grabbed the one I did because I knew she was in that episode and didn't feel like digging through the series looking for a better picture at the time.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Although I have a good pic for him, the write-up for Franz d'Epinay from Gankutsuou is, frankly, crap. While I could manage doing it myself, I'd much prefer if someone else could take care of this for me. (And really, I just need the "What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character" part.) It would need to be done by late Sunday (U.S. EST) at the latest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
If I'm wrong, would you mind revealing who you are referring to? Cool

About 10 of them if not more, or at least while doing my minigame I found quite a few. But this is a matter I'd rather not discuss about, as I've already mentioned, I won't regard that as a criteria. And I pretty much agree with what abunai said in the tournament topic.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Although I have a good pic for him, the write-up for Franz d'Epinay from Gankutsuou is, frankly, crap. While I could manage doing it myself, I'd much prefer if someone else could take care of this for me. (And really, I just need the "What Makes Him A Great Supporting Character" part.) It would need to be done by late Sunday (U.S. EST) at the latest.

You still need this? Been gone all weekend, else I would have done this sooner.

What makes him a great character: Franz is Albert's best friend and no cares more about Albert than he. Franz is more observant and less naive than Albert, and thus has the immensely difficult self-appointed task of providing advice to the protagonist. Convincing Albert to listen to him is complicated by Franz suspicions of the Count, with whom Albert is enthralled. Despite a bitter fight between Albert and Franz at one point, he returns to reconcile with Albert and undertakes a risky gambit to save Albert's life. Franz also delves intensely into the mysteries surrounding the Count, helping advance the plot.

I think that's all right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 27 of 27