• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV).

Ok, so the premise looks and sounds ridiculous (Class President is a Maid!?), but the series managed to pleasantly surprise me. The energy and main character interactions reminded me of such excellent series as Skip Beat! and Kodocha. Strong female lead is one of the most notable advantages of all three series. This is looking to be a fun, touching romance (and man... I LOVE ROMANCE!). I am impressed, and I'm looking forward to more.

My only concern so far is the name of the series. I hope it doesn't get too hung up on the "maid" thing (and by that I mean use theme for the story as it does now, and not indulge into fanservice).
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Too early to say much, but I did really like the art. Could be a really good series.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode today seeing as it's out.

If anything I love the opening a lot. The ending theme is ok, not really my thing for showing off the male lead in "fanservice-ish" poses in a ending.

Any way I enjoyed the first episode, even if it seems cookie cutter cut out themes like all shojo anime / manga are. It was still a nice watch, I can't wait to see episode 2 of the series. J.C staff did a great job with animation and use of color so it was eye pleasing to.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
I don't really watch a lot of shoujo, but I do delve into the occasional Romance that I think might be worth it.

Based on the first episode, I think Kaicho wa Maid-sama is worth it.

Unfortunately (at least to me, it seems) it can't compete with Kimi ni Todoke, which I just recently finished watching.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the first episode of this was actually pretty good. It far exceeded my expectations, even though I had already read the Spring preview guide. I do actually believe it to be better than Kimi ni Todoke's first episode, which I would have rated about a Very Good. However, Kimi ni Todoke got a lot better extremely fast, so whether or not this show will still be better after the third episode is debatable. Still, an excellent start.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
I am not quite sure what to think so far. It looks like a romance comedy that I will like, it seems targeted more at girls, but it still feels very inviting to both genders. I will probably have more to say after watching a couple more episodes, but I am enjoying it, and don't really have much complaints.

For some strange reason, the main girl reminds me of Lelouche of Code Gease mixed with the main character in Maria Holic, and the guy reminds me of that idiot in School Rumble who keeps picking fights with the strong girl.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
I just started this series. Only made it about halfway through episode 1 before I had to go somewhere.
So far I am enjoying it though.
xia83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode yesterday, and I loved it. I'm a sucker for romances and this looks like its going to be good.

So far, my favorite of the short list of spring shows i've seen.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm quite early. Episode two was just as funny as episode 1, if not more. If they keep this same quality throughout the series this show is definitely joining my group of favorite comedy shows, along with Skip Beat!, which would be a good comparison in this case. My only wish is: don't turn this into something like Kimi ni Todoke, by taking off as a comedy series(romance secondarily) and at some point turning into a romance centered anime.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
It's literally an animated girly manga (straight down to the little written cues that pop up here and there). Not my thing at all. Pass.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was great.

It was funny and it moved the plot a little.

Any way it seem like the male lead is really trying to put forth the fact she's his "personal maid". That and the fact the gang of boys who where going to rat her out are now her biggest fans at the cafe was funny Anime hyper
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought ep. 2 was a little preachy. Hopefully the show won't always be that "spelled out".
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
It's literally an animated girly manga (straight down to the little written cues that pop up here and there). Not my thing at all. Pass.

If by "pass" you actually meant that you won't be posting here anymore, then, perfect. But, I don't see this as a "girly" show, just like I don't consider moe something just for men, and just like I wouldn't consider an anime with a female lead "girly". Female leads are quite rare, at least compared to the number of male leads, and I'm definitely up for that. But I suppose since the lead is a girl it's a girly show, right? Narrow, just too narrow. My opinion? You're like those football fans. They think that they're the top macho men out there, but after all they're just watching men running around and showing their muscular legs, but I, on the other hand, prefer to watch girls, and for that I'm girly, but that's perfectly fine, because I'm a girl anyway.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

If by "pass" you actually meant that you won't be posting here anymore, then, perfect. But, I don't see this as a "girly" show, just like I don't consider moe something just for men, and just like I wouldn't consider an anime with a female lead "girly". Female leads are quite rare, at least compared to the number of male leads, and I'm definitely up for that. But I suppose since the lead is a girl it's a girly show, right? Narrow, just too narrow. My opinion? You're like those football fans. They think that they're the top macho men out there, but after all they're just watching men running around and showing their muscular legs, but I, on the other hand, prefer to watch girls, and for that I'm girly, but that's perfectly fine, because I'm a girl anyway.

So you, as a girl, like a girly show? Wild. My opinion? Knock yourself out. Enjoy. But don't get all "women's lib" on me just because I have a different opinion on the show than you.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
[ You're like those football fans. They think that they're the top macho men out there, but after all they're just watching men running around and showing their muscular legs

Rugby is by far the superior sport, football (Premiership at least) might as well be a female sport. Would be funny if the manager in Giant Killing started teaching the team diving techniques from England.

Anyway, so far I am enjoying the show. When not playing for 'dramatic drama' then shojo romances can be quite sweet affairs (Kimi ni Todoke). I prefer the president when she is in 'man-hater' mode because it is very cute, I was somewhat disappointed by her apologising to the guys as quick as she did. The art is also very good, I like the president's hair Smile

Unfortunately I expect the strong female lead to peter out over time as she realises she fancies that blonde haired guy, she becomes less hostile and she grows as a person. By this description I mean she becomes dull and a standard female character. Hopefully this will not completly happen and the show remains funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11