• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually I thought that was a bit forced and predictable. Crazy people rejecting the values of the world above, the name change, and above all, him accepting it all without a second thought... As I said, I'm not a fan of the theme, but it might get better if some kind of actual plot is going to start at some moment in time (like, I dunno, a city renovation decree threatens to erase the crazies and the main character uses his contacts to stop it; again, somewhat predictable, but at least it'll move somewhat).

Demanding from a gag anime to go beyond taking nabs at society and popular culture is like demanding from K-On to have good writing, from Bleach to have Shoujo Romance, from CLANNAD to have mecha action. Most critiques I've seen here seem to evaluate the series based on what it isn't rather than what it is.

Craziness is part of the charm, and humour, and is SHAFT's signature style. Plus, ep.2 improved over ep.1, and at this rate the show pay be reaching the levels of SZS awesomeness but the end of the season (frankly, if you remember, the first eps of SZS were somewhat slow and not really that brilliant either).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
I'm probably in for the long haul on this show, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would be. That surprises me. I don't know, this show is just so . . . zany, I guess. I can't put my finger on what the heck my problem is with its weirdness, but I do feel there is one. The show is funny, and yet it is not. It is touching, and yet it is not.

The thing is, it is quite normal in some respects. Fish-out-of-water guy meets "strange" girl and her stranger friends, and the two are forced to get along all the while learning to understand one another. So since the basics are fairly familiar (at least enough so that they're not causing me trouble), it's got to be the actual particulars that are affecting me subconsciously. And yet, I don't know why they would or should.

Of course, at the end of the day, I have to wonder what my expectations were about a show where one guy was in a frog costume and another had a yellow star for a head. Still, I knew it would be bizarre, but . . . . . .
OrionCA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Not bad for a first episode. The premise is creative. Although this type of show isn't really my cup of tea I'll give it a shot.

Would be funny if the blond girl really did come from Venus but I doubt it since this show is leaning more towards romance than sci-fi. Though if she was from Venus she would be freezing since it's over 400 degrees Celsius there, not to mention the atmosphere is full of sulfur and 90 times thicker. Oops, I forgot to turn off astronomy geek mode.

Oh, that's a holographic field. The Venusians saw how warlike we were so they put that up to convince us the place wasn't worth invading.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Just knocked out the first three episodes today while at work.

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

I love the flow of this series. This is how you make an anime. Right here. All others, take notes.

I love the "sister" character. ZOMG when I heard sister, I immediately started trying to figure out what kind of person that could be and NONE of the things sister is crossed my mind.

I love the concept of explaining date. lol

So hilarious and spontaneous. I never know where it's going but it feels so grounded even though it's completely bizarre.

Too many things to list.... my mind is gonna explode.

This is the anime of this season I think. Hopefully they don't ruin it - they'd have to try pretty darn hard to mess it up at this point though.

Go SHAFT!!!! GO!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Most critiques I've seen here seem to evaluate the series based on what it isn't rather than what it is.

Craziness is part of the charm, and humour, and is SHAFT's signature style. Plus, ep.2 improved over ep.1, and at this rate the show pay be reaching the levels of SZS awesomeness but the end of the season (frankly, if you remember, the first eps of SZS were somewhat slow and not really that brilliant either).

Oh, I should have worded that differently - it was my personal dislike of the theme, it's not something that I reproach the show itself. I can hardly imagine it attaining SZS levels of greatness though (everything starting from OP was great there).
Besides, like I said, I'm tired of comedy (at least this type), and the very familiar style only adds to that.

But ep3 was better. At least there's some... movement.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

I love the "sister" character. ZOMG when I heard sister, I immediately started trying to figure out what kind of person that could be and NONE of the things sister is crossed my mind.

odd, I immediately guessed it would be a big guy in drag. In fact, because I thought of a certain character from My Bride is a Mermaid as a prototype I had almost everything about him guessed within the few seconds they had between announcing him and actually showing him.

I didn't really like episode 2 much.

I did like episode 3 alot more though. Ric wasn't freaking out as much and he's actually trying to bond with Nino it seems. Both the confessional and the date had numerous funny moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
My favourite character is Sister aswell, now that you mention Seto no Hanayome, maybe that is why Sister is so funny. There are little bits they throw in too, my brother was wondering why I was laughing when it was spoiler[revealed he can tell if someone is lieing, I explained to him that it was makeing it look like he might have been some kind of war interrogator]. Actually one of my favourite parts of episode 3 was at the end, where Sister tells a joke, I found it very funny.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
I see that Sister have here enough fans to have a proper fan-club!

I also agree that 3rd episode was better than previous one- Sister and Star-headed nearly stolen the episode, but the action with a spoiler[proper date] was very funny too. I hope they will continue this thread. Also this was a reference to Lady Oscar- see what kind of materials did he "study" before "operation"Smile
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok I just finished episode 2 (been busy the past week )

I agree with every one with the sister. He/she/it is so far my fav character in the show. I just found the whole segment in episode 2 with He/her/it laugh out loud funny.

Any way it seems like the show is picking up at least. I'm enjoying the other episodes more then episode 1 at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I had dropped this one mid way through eppie 2 (just before Sister and the Church was intro'd) because the male lead was starting to really grate on me. I then picked it up again and have watched to the end of eppie 3. I'm liking it, but I really hope the male lead starts showing some awareness soon. Yeah, the whole date thing was funny, but I was kind of irritated by the fact that even though he hasn't known Nino for very long, surely to God he isn't so clueless that he would have thought she would enjoy that kind of "date." If he's still that clueless about her by eppie 5 or 6 I'm gonna have to drop it again because I don't see the point in following the trial and tribulations of a complete retard.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am still liking the show after three episodes, but is it worth it for me to keep on going?

I have a self-imposed rule that if I watch more than three episodes of something by way of "methods of dubious legality" then I have to buy it on DVD if and when it comes out. It's a good rule. Not only does it mean that I can avoid being a horrible leech to the industry, but I can get a no-obligations "taster" of series.

Well, I have had a taste of Arakawa Under the Bridge, and I'm not entirely convinced that I want more. The humour is just so weird (and, at times, painful), and the messages are just so obvious, that I'm not getting a lot out of this show. It is still fun, and maybe in a season with fewer quality shows on offer I would appreciate it more.

However, I really want to know more about Nino (and see her more in that beautiful dress; natch). Because honestly, she's the reason I'm sticking with it past the third episode. Well, her and Sister (where do I sign up to join the fanclub?).
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ok so I have finally watched 3 episodes of Arakawa. I must say I'm surprised. Obviously this anime is intended for a younger audience, but heh humor is humor. Yeah this anime is pretty funny. Also, it reminds me of FLCL. Idk it just does. Can't put my finger on it. Hope to see more.
Although I hope they get rid of that starfish head guy. I like it when Japan does witty humor. I hate it when then try to do romantic humor (if you get what I mean). I don't want this to turn into a romantic comedy. Yes I know. It's supposedly about two lovers. However, Arakawa is not your typical romance anime in the sense the anime doesn't really focus on romance.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Obviously this anime is intended for a younger audience, but heh humor is humor.

I'm not sure I understand.... unless you're as old as Blood-.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Okay, i'm not going to throw my hat into the "who's older" game, for one, my hat is getting pretty skanky, and two- er, i'm on the graying side myself.

Well, I just got through ep3 myself, and yes, i still like it, i'll still watch it, and i'm still enjoying it, though at times, wondering why. i think i found the answer. If you look at all the posts, not just here, but pretty much anywhere online, you will see the same common idea. It's SHAFT. The comparisons have been made, so far (as i can see or have noticed) to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and Pani Poni Dash.....and one more, though not so much here.

Not many other places lately either, except, mostly, from those who don't care for Arakawa much. That series is, you guessed it, Bakemonogatari. The series that those who keep watching either do so because they like it/are masochists. Take your pick. How often has Bake...been mentioned around here lately?

But what does that have to do with Arakawa? Answer: Arakawa is the SHAFT "sausage". What? Yeah, Arakawa is cuts and slices of SHAFT successes - critical, for the most part, all put together and shoved into a grinder and packaged into one tasty roll. Which is a difficult analogy for me, being a vegetarian and all...but i digress! Arakawa has these items from previous SHAFT "standards": From SZS, not just the main character seiyu, but the nouveau artwork design and the scene pans & juxtapositions; from PPD, the absurdist comedic viewpoint & outre characterizations (think Ichijo); from Maria+Holic, the characters movements & motions; from Hidamari Sketch, the close-ups of characters & "toner" art; yes, from the maligned Bakemonogatari, the the less-is-more background art and surrealist scripting. Which is what makes Nino the best character, from my viewpoint. Don't worry, i'm not going to presume to speak for anyone else. Nino is the kind of person who doesn't obey the rules of physics, she just never bothered to acknowledge them. Err, okay, replace "physics" with "logic".

There are probably other series that have added their spice as well to this concoction. I'm just not sure which and from where. maho.

The one thing that's stumping me is, i'm enjoying it, but why am i not enjoying it more? Oh well, it's just through ep3, i'll keep watching.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
I just caught up with the recent episodes and I got to say, this is pretty amazing. I think it's the wackiest romance comedy I've ever seen. All the characters are just so outrageous in their own way. I love how Kou is great to watch just because he's such a confused character who never seems to get things right. And I love hearing the slightly disturbing stories of his childhood, no wonder why he turned out to be so obsessive. I would like to see Nino get a bit more developed soon though, we don't really know to much about what kind of person she really is. And it would be funny to learn more about her crazy train of thought.

Over all I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. But I have to say that I don't like it as much as Saint Young Men. I would like to see and anime of that some day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9