• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arakawa Under the Bridge (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Her name was given to her by the Kappa Mayor. And, I'm pretty sure it does mean "2-3", as in like "two of three", when you add "-san" to her name. I think that would be how it would translate. Correct me if I'm wrong though. (Just a beginner)]

And, you're probably right about the spoiler[Venus thing being a defense mechanism. She does say, "the Mayor is a Kappa as sure as she is a Venusian." He's obviously not a Kappa, so she's obviously not a Venusian. Or maybe she's a super gullible alien? Razz]

I'm really not expecting much of a spoiler[sob story for her background.] I'm kinda expecting something silly or serious (like her actually being from another planet).

I don't think she's going to turn out to be some typical dumb blond type character though. There's definitely something else there.

I'm just really hoping that she's from a different planet because I'm a nut job. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:
No, Nino is just the typical airhead.

Nino isn't an area of hostile or enemy-controlled territory secured by paratroops or air-assault forces.

Furthermore, she's proven to be smarter than the male protagonist, or at least she has outdone him a couple times already. It's hard to know why you'd say that, as you clearly don't want to make a valid point, whether there's one. But feel free to.

um ok Mr. ego u need to watch more anime.
She is an airhead because most times she acts silly ditzy and dumb.

She forgets things easily
She says she's from Venus
She says her friends a kappa
She lies to herself about the truth
She sleeps in a draw
She doesn't know what a date is
She lives under a bridge
She used to think it was acceptable to bath naked in public
She thinks that wacky world is real life
She acts innocent and pretends not to know whats really going on

She's an airhead. However, in anime airheads are always given unique characteristics which make them seem smart. In this anime, the airhead accepts her awkward nature and wants others to do the same aka she's teaching people to be themselves. That is the only thing smart about her.

Pretty sure she'll do a bunch of dumb stuff later

Nino came from a high class family. If not, they had money. Either she lost everything and she's an orphan or she ran away from her parents because she did not want to follow in their footsteps. She wants to do what she wants and not what her parents tell her to do. That is for sure since obviously Nino is suppose to represent the opposite of Kou. Nino is individuality. Kou is conformity. There you go. The rest is just bs and the show is primarily going to be about how Kou changes/starts to accept acknowledge himself. Overall, if this is how the show turns out (which I'm positive it will), this show really doesn't stand out from the rest that have already tackled this genre.

Oh I guess I'll learn the hard way, but I think it's safe to assume that if anyone reads this far into the thread they are expecting/looking for spoilers. Therefore I don't think it's necessary. Especially since this is all bs.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
this show has it's moments but that's all there is to it.

But those moments are very funny when they do pop up.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Let's all get something straight. In terms of seiyuu,
Stella=Senjougahara (seriously?)
Rec=Araragi.

Well, that settles it. SHAFT is doing this on purpose.

spoiler[-The date was alright. The distance thing was kinda lame (but the FotNS reference was great) but the fail princess carry of Nino was hilarious. I'm surprised Rec has absolutely no idea what he's doing. These little sparks of romance like that last part (Dawwwww) really make me hope that more things happen between the two. And indeed, Blushing Nino=<333333

-Okay, you do not go from the same two voices of two main characters from one show, to having the exact opposite relationship in another show without doing it on purpose. Now, I knew that there had to be more to Stella and I had already read she had a "violent" personality but...I wasn't expecting all that. 3-Hit Combo (K-K-K-KAY-OH! Razz) and a yandere/yakuza mode. I think she may just shoot up to favorite character.

"I wanted to meet Sister!"
TK, you have competition.

-The "prologue" and "epilogue" didn't amount to much did it?]
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
One of the most wtf dates in the history of anime, certainly... but yeah, the ending was cute. I was exactly hoping for this sort of weird romance, so this episode rekindled my interest.

But her insistence on being Venusian is definitely some kind of defence mechanism. I'm not sure if they'll choose to reveal her past at all, though (maybe the point is to accept her as she is now).

But wow, Stella is a welcome addition to the cast.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
A few thoughts before I go to watch the 4th episode which I've been to out of it to do until now.

First, I don't think Nino is really an "airhead" as much as she is just weird. Think there's a big difference. And airhead would be implying that they are moronic and can't think for themselves. But Nino doesn't quite have these traits, she just doesn't quite fit into the norms of society.

Also I have a question for everyone watching this series. Would you consider this anime to be seinen or josei? I ask this because I'm torn on this decision. See the manga has been classified as a seinen everywhere I've seen it. But the anime seems to have a very josei (or at least shojo) feel to it.

And now I'm off to catch up with some anime... hopefully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Seinen because the protagonist isn't a woman. Yes, I know that's not a main requirement but it is a major. I honestly wouldn't really put it under either of those and just leave it as slice-of-life/comedy.

Plus, the physical humor doesn't usually fly with josei.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
I wonder who my favourite character in this show is now, wither Sister or Stella. Her Ingrish was adorable, and the two seemed to fit the sort of big guy and little girl duo. Then we get a "I want to play", kind of expecting something simular to Seitokai no Ichizon, spoiler[she keeps putting on a cute look, then bam we get a character that even Sister is even worried about. I have enjoyed some two faced little girls of anime in the past, but Stella is scary, especialy with going between extremes.]

The date was interesting, though it looks like Ric has absolutely no idea what he is doing, he is pretty hopeless in a lot of things. There definetly was a part towards the end of the date that Nino gace a look asking him not to ask her about her past.

And lastley on Maria, well she reminds me of a Mariya in another series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Eppie 4 continued to justify my decision to take Arakawa from out of my "Will Not Finish" deep freezer and give it a second chance. As has already been pointed out, Rec's spoiler[inepitude at carrying Nino princess-style was hilarious.]

I love bratty little kids who pretend to be nice, so Stella is a welcome addition.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Arakawa Under The Bridge was an excellent find. The characters are actually interesting and aren't sterotypical. For once a "romantic"/comedy without the guy randomly being hit (often for no reason) and no fanservice.

But seriously, the way Rec held Nino like a princess was absolutely hilarious.

This is the only show of the season I'll actually watch and continue to watch. Working! was okay, but after fifteen minutes, this show easily becomes just another stereotypical slice of life show.

Tatami Galaxy was better, but the speech was way too fast for me and the characters weren't that interesting either.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:

She is an airhead because most times she acts silly ditzy and dumb.

It is typical of people who have seen too much anime to want to label characters with terms such as “airhead”, in your case you have not seen very much anime at all, and none of it very good (took a look at your “My Anime” list). I don’t think Nino is an “airhead” I think she just looks at things a different way and is strange. An airhead is some cutesy girl who prances about making idiotic remarks, Nino is much more complex. IF you paid any attention to the series you would see that she actually makes some intelligent responses to Kou’s spastic ramblings.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
lol wow I have a life you know. I'm not going to update my anime list. It would take for ever. Just so you know, pretty sure most people here don't update theirs either.

Anyway fine your entitled to your opinion, but like I said (I'll simplify) an airhead is someone who acts stupid. Now don't lie to me and say she does not act stupid.

Ok she makes smart remarks. Yeah I acknowledge that already. However the majority of the time she's acts stupid. I already listed why, but yeah you conveniently ignored that.

Since many of u dont know what the slang term of airhead is, I'll state another example. Orihime from Bleach. In the beginning of the anime/manga she would be considered an airhead. She's not an idiot, she just acts stupid. Another example is Jessica Simpson (I shouldn't have to explain that).

Acting stupid and being an idiot are two different things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
I thought an air head was supposed to be someone who did not have much going up there, most of the time in anime they have kind of a fluffy personality. But Nino doesn't really have a fluffy personality, she often gets quite serious about certain things, like judgeing others. Really usually when she doesn't follow things, it is because she just doesn't know, or understand, kind of like that she is from another world, saying that she acts dumb, might kind of be like saying a foreigner is acting dumb by following their own culture.

She might have her head in the clouds often, but that does not make her an airhead. Also for the record, I thought member on this site updated what anime they have seen after watching them, it takes very little time if you update as you go.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
In anime context, an airhead is actually a dojikko. So no, Nino isn't one.

Mushi-Man wrote:
Also I have a question for everyone watching this series. Would you consider this anime to be seinen or josei? I ask this because I'm torn on this decision.

If this is seinen, then SZS is practically a snuff film. I wonder though, if my own perception of that classification is skewed somewhat? I thought only really serious and/or violent stuff got that mark.

Edit: holy cow, TVtropes says Kanon is a seinen series. What the... Ok, time to revisit definitions.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
ok, but fyi a dojikko is a cute clumsy girl. Air heads don't have to be clumsy. Also, clumsiness has nothing to do with stupidity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9