• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh My Goddess TV, Genshiken, Hinotori, and Phantom Acquired by Media Blasters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
"Ah! My Goddess" DVD vol.1
Contains:Episode 1~3
Release date:2005/04/22
Initial release includes: Belldandy Box(Box to hold 3 DVDs)
Item code:BCBA-2183
Region code:2(Japan)
Release by:Kodansha • TBS • Bandai Visual
MSRP: 6000¥

I think this settles the entire argument of having to wait long. A late April R2 release puts a similar R1 release pretty close, maybe even this year. The artbox will be a really nice LE goodie, too.

Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed because I'll miss my weekly AMG TV fix and a major plot turn was coming up. But I know that if I really must have it, there'll be another 5-6 groups that will spring up to take over simply to "fight The Man". And thus the entire fansubbers-bad/fansubbers-good argument can continue to turn like the rock of ages and crush us all.

I really want that Belldandy artbox. Anime catgrin
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Production companies don't own their actors, and very few are in exlusive contracts. So long as the scheduling and $$$ works out, they can bring in a previous cast.

The last Media Blasters DVD I got used a number of well known Bandai and Geneon VA's.
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Very often MediaBlasters goes with the West Coast groups-Bang Zoom, Animaze, etc.
Guess who Pioneer used for the movie--Animaze.
Guess who Pioneer used for Mini-Goddesses--Animaze.
Short of them going with NYAV Post... there's an excellent chance they might get Ruby Marlowe, etc. for the dub since it's the West Coast set of actors.

I hope so. I wanted Geneon since they would get Animaze again (and hopefully Wendee Lee to play Mara! Embarassed)

The OAV cast was marginal to bad. Bell was nice and sweet but nothing special, and Urd was just okay with so-so acting and a voice that didn't really fit the character. Keiichi and Skuld were ear-grating. It would be torture to sit through an entire TV series with those two voices. I did like Pamela Weidner's role as Yoriko in You're Under Arrest, but her really bad voice added to the charm and wackiness of that show and that dub. Not so here. There was nothing good about Scott Simpson's Keiichi. Why would you want to hear someone with a bad voice yelling all the time?

With the Movie cast, Tony Oliver's Keiichi was one of the best anime performances I've heard to date. His acting was not constantly over-the-top or emotionless. It was the kind of acting we all pray for, and his voice fit the character to boot. I wouldn't have wanted Skuld to be turned into Tenchi Muyo's Sasami Razz but I enjoyed her nevertheless. The rest of the cast and voice directing was "animazing," as usual.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:08 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Actually, I discovered the email address for Scott SImpson and Juliet Cesario (a lot of research and dedication on my part ... I'm so happy to get Belldandy's email address) and they will live in the same area where Coastal Studios was formed.

While they no longer work in the VA business, ever since Coastal moved its operations out of state and changed its name to Phoenix Sound, it's not advantageous to fly VA's in and out of the studios. This is mostly due to the low budgets for VA's.

The two have expressed interest in returning to the business, as they indicated in their email to me.

Everyone can now bow to me in grace. BELLDANDY AND JULIET CESARIO RULE!!!
You should have asked her if she ever recovered from doing the voice of Excel from Excel Saga. Laughing

Seriously now and seeing as MB has announced that "they will try" to get the original VA's, maybe you could pass Scott, and Juliet's e-mail address over to MB. Every little bit helps. Wink
Ryo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You should have asked her if she ever recovered from doing the voice of Excel from Excel Saga. Laughing

That wasn't Juliet Cesario, it was Jessica Calvello.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
Ryo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That wasn't Juliet Cesario, it was Jessica Calvello.
Oops! My bad. Embarassed Never mind then. Smile
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
WTF are you smoking? I love MB. They didn't call Kenshin "Samurai X", they took Berserk and many other titles out of licensing limbo, and they release some of the best live-action Asian films out there on dvd. Anyway, it's taken more than a decade for an Ah My Goddess tv show to even happen. You can wait a year to see it on dvd.

AND Media Blasters released Invader Zim on DVD, that cult cartoon that Nickelodeon cancelled for being too full of black humor, and one of my favorite American shows. Anime smile
Bane the ECF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
I don't care who licenses Ah! My Goddess, since I can watch the anime in raw Japanese. I'm just glad it got licensed sooner rather than later. Very Happy

Bane
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4