• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of putting illegal streaming sites or torrent downloads as an option for watching anime? Is the ANN staff working with the feds? >_>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ravager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The survey form wouldn't let me type any number (or even character) on the first two questions so I left it empty and answered the rest of the questions.

(I was answering the survey from a desktop browser [Opera], if that helps.)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Akito Kinomoto wrote:
What's the point of putting illegal streaming sites or torrent downloads as an option for watching anime? Is the ANN staff working with the feds? >_>

It's just to gauge how visitors are watching their anime. No need to think too hard about it.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hand tools? LOL. I can't imagine what prompted that option. Anime smile + sweatdrop
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
are we supposed to be commenting about this website? because there is alot I dislike about this website.
I dislike the 1990 BBcode on the forum that has never been updated. Other than news and retail I dont even bother with the rest of the forum. I hate the ugly blue at the top. I have never clicked on new_anime, views and myANN; I have no idea what they do.

I do like the advertisements. I dont mind them being on the sides and used as background, I like to know what's recent and available for sale. the little flash square on the main page should be alot bigger and you need to get rid of those little category squares, they just take up space. keep it neat and clean and simple; no need for alot of text since we are clicking on links, anyway.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
are we supposed to be commenting about this website? because there is alot I dislike about this website.
I dislike the 1990 BBcode on the forum that has never been updated. Other than news and retail I don't even bother with the rest of the forum. I hate the ugly blue at the top. I have never clicked on new_anime, views and myANN; I have no idea what they do.

I do like the advertisements. I don't mind them being on the sides and used as background, I like to know what's recent and available for sale. the little flash square on the main page should be alot bigger and you need to get rid of those little category squares, they just take up space. keep it neat and clean and simple; no need for alot of text since we are clicking on links, anyway.

While I'll admit "new anime" could be named differently, that's where you can find new releases.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I have never clicked on new_anime, views and myANN; I have no idea what they do.

This is in no way a complaint.
Ads are good; you sort of cheat by having a userbase that can have ads tailored to them basically as much as possible, of course.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
My general appraisal of ANN:

News: Great. Still the most professional news service in the anime world.

Encyclopedia: I wish I could find a comparable service for other mediums. The only thing that springs to mind is that you need to rework the way titles are listed as licensed/unlicensed. In the new world of streaming you really need three separate categories: Unlicensed, Licensed for Streaming and Licensed for Physical Media.

Reviews: Again, very good. I love the season preview and I love The Stream. In fact, I'd like to see more stuff like this. I don't want to entirely discount more in depth reviews (especially from people like Zac or Justin, or on shows that bear more in depth analysis like Madoka Magica) but more than anything else these days I like to see multiple opinions. Also, I'd like to see review features be better integrated with the encyclopedia. It would be cool if I could consistently click on a show and get a list of reviews, including individual ones, the stream, shelf life, the season previews, etc.

Editorial content: I'd love to see more of this, especially in relation to either major news items or just in relation to random topics in the world of anime and manga that you feel you've got something to say on. I realize ANNcast does a lot of this and that's something I really enjoy. Something more polished and focused would be cool too though.

Streaming: This is not a feature I ever use which is fine. I really have no desire to see ANN become crunchyroll. That's where I'll go if I want streaming. I come to ANN for other reasons.

Prede wrote:
My only other complaint is Justin Sevakis needs to write more reviews =P . I miss reading his buried treasure articles.

This. I mean, I totally get it if this isn't possible. I know Justin is a busy guy. But wherever possible, I'd love to hear more from him.

potatochobit wrote:
I have never clicked on new_anime, views and myANN; I have no idea what they do.

New anime contains the season preview features and a list of all recent or upcoming anime shows. Views (which could actually stand to be renamed) contains links to all ANNs ongoing columns and features. My ANN contains the My Anime/Manga feature as well as subscription and customization options and polls. You don't actually have to click on them by the way. You just move your cursor over the tab and it'll tell you whats in there.

agila61 wrote:
I see that ANN is only interested in people who buy 12 or more DVDs / BDs per year ~ "divide how many you buy per year by 12" doesn't give a number 1 or bigger for everyone who buys DVDs or BDs.

Yes. This is obviously an intentional slight meant to convey their disinterest in you. There's no way it could just be a completely accidental, technical glitch.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear a site redesign is in the works. I'm actually doing a presentation in class this week on ANN's design and there are some definite things that I don't like about it (mainly, I find the news itself a bit cluttered and hard to read ... I usually am more likely to actually find a headline I'm interested in while browsing the Talkback forum then from the front page itself, because readability is better, at least for me).

I'm also hoping that the ads for that day don't involve too many melon-sized breasts Razz

Other than some design issues, I'm quite happy with ANN. There's a reason I visit the site many times a day and not any other anime-related sites. I even visit it during times when I am not watching all that much anime.

And I do love the reviews, especially since you can sort of develop a relationship, in a way, with the reviewers as you realize how your tastes are similar or different from them (I know I discovered long ago that if Carlo really likes something, I probably will too).
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
I wish someone would revive one of the analysis columns like the old Brain Diving column. It was good, and I enjoyed reading it. It's high point was the analysis of Azuma's Database Animals.
natsukoay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
the survey was really interesting!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
2 cents about the survey:

I"m wondering why there were only two choices for tablet devices: "Windows tablet" and "other (i.e. IPad)". Is the question skewed because you are only interested in Microsoft or Apple as advertisers? Seriously? What about Android? ---and really..... Windows tablet? LOL!!... going for that .065% of all tablet users there! Or maybe you were hoping that confused and/or drunk android users might click "Windows tablet" by mistake..... Anime dazed Laughing --no offense, but that was truly weird.

2 cents about the site:

Overall, I really appreciate the information I get from this site.

My one gripe (if it is a gripe),I don't care for all the gaming news, especially the stuff that is Japan-only. If a game gets licensed, then it is relevant news, but all the columns containing ads for up-coming games for Japan (only) seems like useless filler. I don't even click on most of them.

Keep the X-button column, since it covers a lot of the newest stuff along with the columnist's take on license possibilities. That seems more useful to me... and it usually reports most of the relevant gaming news as it pertains to Japanese games and imports. Extra News feed articles don't really seem necessary.

I can understand why you might want the extra advertising $$ that come with all the game stuff, but the pervasive news articles are mostly Japan-only. Why would they want to advertise on this site? The advertisers you want have the licenses for the things that are for sale in our market.

I really would love to see more reviews, rather than just a list of this weeks releases in the news section. The Stream and Shelf Life are the best columns in this regard, but as hard-working as Bamboo is, she can't get to everything. Kudo's to the reviewers here, I know it can't be easy keeping up with all the stuff.

The encyclopedia is great. I use it a lot. I like it much better than Wikipedia, which has way too many spoilers.

Lastly, I enjoy your forums, which are moderated better than pretty much any other place in this fandom.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
And I do love the reviews, especially since you can sort of develop a relationship, in a way, with the reviewers as you realize how your tastes are similar or different from them (I know I discovered long ago that if Carlo really likes something, I probably will too).

Yeah, there's something to be said for the staff who review things, and the range of tastes and opinions they have. I feel spoiled with Bamboo doing The Stream, since I find myself agreeing with her the most.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Akito Kinomoto wrote:

Well, I sure as hell hope not, because that's what I selected Shocked
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Gotta represent for ANNCast, I still think it is the best podcast, anime or otherwise. Was the main reason I started regularly coming to the site but I really dig all the editorial content on the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9