• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="second season episodes were only on Youtube for a short time[/quote]

...damn it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Indeed. Endless Eight was absolutely terrible and was not worth the wait at all. Seriously, this season has immense potential, yet went another route. Repeating itself eight times, which if you ask me is very much pointless.

They aren't just streaming Endless Eight.

[/quote]If you've seen the first episode once or twice, you've basically seen the second season[/quote]
No, you've mean the middle of the second season, since you're ignoring Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and the later episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
This is the best season in quite awhile in terms of show quality. There is less Moe Blob stuff and more genuinely interesting fare like Angel Beats...

Wait a sec there. Angel Beats is supposed to be some sort of dark moe, right? That female lead seems to be Haruhi's printed copy.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Article Headline wrote:
download, merchandising rights also acquired

Interesting, but certainly not the merchandise I was expecting.
As for the download, if CR charges $2 per episode, they'll be making one hell of an idiotic mistake, especially since they just failed at this. Let's hope "download" means freely available to those who've at least registered.

Regardless, I'll be watching this one closely.
*dons x-ray glasses
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Extra Extra Extra!

Quote:
Edit: Sorry for all the confusion. First, this was not meant to be a simulcast announcement (we have a few more simuls to announce later, so bear with us!). Haruhi is a catalog title we acquired recently, and coincidentally was announced in the middle of the simulcast announcement. Second, the first season is available now (eps 1-14 as soon as we can put them up). Season 2 will be available on Crunchyroll as well at a later date!
Starks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
This can't be good for Bandai.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If you've seen the first episode once or twice, you've basically seen the second season

No, you've mean the middle of the second season, since you're ignoring Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and the later episodes.

More like half the second season since Endless Eight is eight episodes, and the other two stories are six episodes put together (that's actually 57%).

I mean, complaining about filler has been part of anime fandom forever, but honestly. This is like the pre-regulation days of food production, when sausages would be half ash.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

Yes it can. Bandai has never been able to get the digital rights to Haruhi for one reason or another. Kadokawa has always held them. This means that more people will see Haruhi and may lead to a few additional DVD sales.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:

So as I understand it, season two, the so-called "endless eight" episodes failed miserably and threatened to sink (or did it sink?) the franchise.

Could it be that the Crunchyroll announcement is but an attempt by Bandai to make some more money of it while they can?
darkcloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Question for you guys; how does Crunchyroll get the right to license anime because Crunchyroll can't really release DVDs or any other physical form of the anime except over the internet? I don't really consider what Crunchyroll does as licensing because you can only watch the anime on your computer; what if I want to watch the anime on my TV with a DVD player?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
darkcloud9 wrote:
Question for you guys; how does Crunchyroll get the right to license anime because Crunchyroll can't really release DVDs or any other physical form of the anime except over the internet? I don't really consider what Crunchyroll does as licensing because you can only watch the anime on your computer; what if I want to watch the anime on my TV with a DVD player?

There are several ways to get a computer to connect to a TV, or get a TV to connect to the internet. That allows you to play anything on CR on your TV. Assuming you have a newer HDTV anyway. And if you don't, that means you're probably on an old tube TV, in which case, your computer is probably better.
darkcloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I still like owning DVDs because of the package designs (sometimes) and watching my anime on TV. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
So as I understand it, season two, the so-called "endless eight" episodes failed miserably and threatened to sink (or did it sink?) the franchise.

Could it be that the Crunchyroll announcement is but an attempt by Bandai to make some more money of it while they can?

They weren't received anywhere as well as was hoped and pissed off a good number of people for various reasons. The franchise didn't sink. Also, Bandai likely has nothing to do with this deal.

darkcloud9 wrote:
There are multiple rights. DVDs are covered by home video rights. CR buys the digital rights to series which cover streaming and digital distribution. It is still licensing, just different from the traditional forms..
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:

It wasn't quite that bad. The second season has sold about 1/3 of what the original series per volume. The original series averaged something like 40,000 sold per volume, which is a smash hit. 1/3 of that is still a hit. But it's readily apparent that Kadokawa expected sales similar to the first season: the first volume's limited edition price was dropped to ¥999 (which is like 80% off) on amazon.co.jp after a few months and they've sold more than 10,000 copies at that price. For that to happen you have to have a lot of excess inventory. Presumably they lowered the size of production runs for later volumes, and those have sold far fewer than the first volume, with sales decreasing for each subsequent volume.

As a marketing stunt, it's hard to see E8 as anything but a failure. It generated a lot of hot air, but definitely did not help sales. Disappearance will likely do a lot to rejuvenate the franchise; it's done extremely well in theaters, and will probably sell very well. Not for me though, I'm done with the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3