• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, April 4-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
hooray to One Piece!
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
GO ONE PIECE, WOOOOOOOT
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I am not happy until at least one volume of ONE PIECE gets 1st place!! Maybe the volumes 57/58?? *The record-breaking volumes BTW*
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Viz takes the 1-9 slots, with 5 of those being One Piece. Quite impressive.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Very happy for One Piece. Hoping it's just a precursor for good things to come for the franchise. Me wants those Unlimited Cruise games.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see each volume this month making the list this time around.

perroloco wrote:
I am not happy until at least one volume of ONE PIECE gets 1st place!! Maybe the volumes 57/58?? *The record-breaking volumes BTW*

AMEN to that!

And I'm not even a fan of One Piece! (I'm only now starting Skypiea while reading Impel Down in SJ. We shall see.)
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Are One Piece fans happy now? Surprised
Yes, very much so, thank you. Very Happy
It nice to finally see 1Ps gettin' some love & recognition.
Now lets aim for that No. 1 spot, Pirate King! w00t w00t!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

"Shounen" and "shoujo" are entirely determined by what magazines they run it, content be damned. Of course, as in America, it is more acceptable in Japan for girls to read "boys'" series than vice versa, which is why you have a lot of stories in seinen and shounen magazines that appeal to female readership as much or even more than males - whereas shoujo and josei rarely throw men a bone.

I specifically mentioned Saiyuki because the first leg ran in G-Fantasy which is marked shonen, but every other segment (Reload, Gaiden, etc) have been in josei magazines & I really don't see that a guy following Saiyuki from G-Fantasy to Zero-Sum would notice the story is any different from when it was in the shonen zine other than the stories surrounding it.

As for Kuroshitsuji--
I blame the US shops.
I first saw it in Kinokuniya in the area with all the yaoi like Lamento. Sanseido seems to classify their books by publisher so Kuroshitsuji is on the same shelf as Angelique, yaoi titles & Soul Eater.
I never look at age ratings or type. Shojo covers are usually pretty flowery, but the covers of Kuroshitsuji aren't exactly the stuff of One Piece, Death Note or Fairy Tail.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow for once, Naruto isn't on the list. One Piece is a great series. I'm glad it's up there. Smile
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Wow for once, Naruto isn't on the list. One Piece is a great series. I'm glad it's up there. Smile

Uh, it's in 3rd place Rolling Eyes
Jaymie wrote:
One Piece massacred the entire NYT list. Wow. Only Black Butler and Naruto managed to hang on after that.

Keep in mine that Naruto's been on the list for 10 weeks straight, 7 of which it was 1# plus the same time last year when Viz was doing it's Ninja Campaign the top five was always dominated by Naruto, these titles just got on the list and considering volumes 28-38 of One Piece was never ranked.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I specifically mentioned Saiyuki because the first leg ran in G-Fantasy which is marked shonen, but every other segment (Reload, Gaiden, etc) have been in josei magazines & I really don't see that a guy following Saiyuki from G-Fantasy to Zero-Sum would notice the story is any different from when it was in the shonen zine other than the stories surrounding it.

Well, and if Kuroshitsuji ever switches to a different magazine, that'll be an apt analogy.

Honestly, I think it is a series intended to... well, pander is a bad word, but it is meant to appeal to the very-real female readership of shounen magazines. When you take the series on its own, it comes across as further to the shoujo end of the spectrum; its magazine, though, is at the shounen end. And it is kind of a spectrum, not entirely distinct categories. The same can apply on the other axis (youth to adult), where publishers in Japan can't settle on whether Nana is shoujo or josei.

So yeah... in magazines that generally target boys/men, there are still girls/women who read them, so you'll see elements of "shoujo" or "josei" material in them. But since hardly any boys/men read shoujo/josei, they'll be exaggeratedly girlish.
theaustincritic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
DAMN! One Piece is dominating the list. One Piece fans must be joyous.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Well, and if Kuroshitsuji ever switches to a different magazine, that'll be an apt analogy.

Honestly, I think it is a series intended to... well, pander is a bad word, but it is meant to appeal to the very-real female readership of shounen magazines. When you take the series on its own, it comes across as further to the shoujo end of the spectrum; its magazine, though, is at the shounen end. And it is kind of a spectrum, not entirely distinct categories. The same can apply on the other axis (youth to adult), where publishers in Japan can't settle on whether Nana is shoujo or josei.

So yeah... in magazines that generally target boys/men, there are still girls/women who read them, so you'll see elements of "shoujo" or "josei" material in them. But since hardly any boys/men read shoujo/josei, they'll be exaggeratedly girlish.

So what happened to the guys reading Saiyuki in G-Fantasy? They had to drop it because it moved to a josei mag?
I think Japan is a bit less worried about the whole idea of shonen & shojo. I see shojo authors comment about male readers sending in letters all the time. And there's always the fan service idea of pandering to the audience. Part of the reason for manga's decline last year according to another article recently posted was aging shojo fans not sticking with manga (although I don't really buy that excuse as much as the economy. Everyone I know has cut back on entertainment) I believe it was one of those Anime Insider charts I saw early on in the anime boom cycle here that pointed out 3% of American comics are aimed at the female audience while in Japan it was 30%. Throwing a title like Kuroshitsuji or Saiyuki into a shonen mag is sort of in that same realm--they're fishing for gals to buy their product instead of just aiming for their core demographic. The Japanese seem more willing to throw a bone to people outside the perceived demographics of something while in the US is seems more find that core audience & do everything to please that group even if it might deter others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2