• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Manga Sales Down 20% in 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I seriously wish I can get all the volumes of Cantarella or Natsume Yuujinchou, but for some reason my local Borders doesn't have them on their shelves (though I've finally managed to find volume 1 of Pandora Hearts)!

http://www.gocomi.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_2 GoComi's currently going through some reorganizing that hopefully will result in a comeback and a more regular schedule. So I imagine that might be a part of it. They do have most volumes of Cantareall in stock on the website [once it's out of stock there, I assume it's OOP] so you might want to check that out, or try special ordering at your local comic shop or bookstore

Natsume Yuujinchou is being released by VIZ, and is pretty recent, so I'm guessing you can order them online, at your local bookstore or comic shop, and get them in few weeks. Special Orders=way easier/quicker then sitting around waiting for someone to stock it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

On the first volume cover Sumi eyes are brown and volume 2-4 her eyes are bluish-green. Hopefully, VIZ noticed the mistakes and made the changes to the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stepping+on+roses+manga&sprefix=stepping+on+rose

Eh, if that's how the artist did it I'd rather they leave it unedited. Changing hair/eyecolours in manga isn't all that uncommon- Takahashi always gave Lum a different hair colour in the manga for colour illos, while the anime always had it green.

In regard to dropping titles, I think the shift to omnibuses and higher prices for some titles is a more practical option than cancelling a book outright. With X-men Misfits though, there were way more issues at large for that one, so I think fans should be more understanding when a comic gets cancelled. It's a bit different then when manga translation gets cancelled, as the sales requirements and work involved are pretty different.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Wait... X-Men Misfits has been discontinued?

*falls into a pit of despair* D: I actually liked it. As an X-Men fan, I really actually liked it, and it has a nice spot on my shelf right next to Jill Thompson's Sandman OEL "manga".

I am now depressed. How did I miss this news...
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Surprised littlegreenwolf? This is what I've been saying for quite some time, that fans have resources of information but are refusing to use it.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-12/x-men/misfits-wolverine/prodigal-son-cancelled

As this is what I'm talking about, is anime/manga just reduced to "fake" strumming on a guitar to an audience so inebriated to notice that things are winding down and that the artist isn't really playing anymore.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Wait... X-Men Misfits has been discontinued?

*falls into a pit of despair* D: I actually liked it. As an X-Men fan, I really actually liked it, and it has a nice spot on my shelf right next to Jill Thompson's Sandman OEL "manga".

I am now depressed. How did I miss this news...

Yeah, basically it was due to sales not quite being enough to merit publishing book 2 based on issues with licensing costs. Everyone still got paid for the work they did on Vol.2 mind you.

http://goraina.livejournal.com/236540.html Raina goes into specifics here

http://manga.about.com/b/2010/04/12/del-rey-manga-pulls-plug-on-x-men-misfits-vol-2.htm And Deb Aoki covered it here as well, including this pithy reaction to Raina's post-

"Seriously, can anyone justify "scanlating" and pirating a series that never needed to be "translated" into English? Now thanks to sales that were less than required to make publishing X-Men Misfits Volume 2 financially feasible, there will be no Volume 2, period. Chew on that for a few, folks."

I've also seen this happen to Del Rey's other OEL series Kasumi where in a "scanlation group" submitted it to MangaFox. The series had to be put in hiatus after Vol.2, despite vol.2 getting a 10000 copy print run due to the success of Vol.1 http://kasumimanga.com/blog/

Anyhoo, lots of reasons why manga is down, all of them not good. I think the collector mentality is one aspect- manga fans seem to be divided among those who like collecting lots of manga, and those who are simply reading/buying just Naruto or Bleach or a few other major sellers. Less high profile series seem to have been getting less attention lately, due to a mixture of less retail space, and less fan interest. I've also seen that sometimes fans aren't interested in works by the same author, so while say InuYasha might have had a lot of fans, it didn't guarantee a lot of thsoe fans picked up her other series. [Just look at how horriblye the Rumik Theatre and Mermaid Forest dvd's did]
The_Q

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
Quote:
Aging shōjo fans, less TV exposure, scanlations cited for 2nd annual drop

Yeah, because it can't possibly be any fault of the companies releasing manga in the US. Of course not.

This here is 'Murka! In Murka, everything is always someone else's fault, no exceptions!

Jokes aside, I agree with your point. Honestly, can you blame people for not having a collectors mentality. Have you seen some of the manga that's been put out over the last year? Quite frankly, most of the quality is absolute garbage.

Either it has a crap translation (Lucky Star), if not that it printed on paper that appears to be a thinner than Charmin's (any manga published by Tokyopop). If not that then the manga is deprived of things such as color pages that adds a notch of value to it (Tokyopop...again), and if not that then their is always the issue of editing, sometime to the point of massacre (CMX, Viz). And if not that then their is the ever present issue of the series being canceled (Tokyopop, Seven Seas). And keep in mind that these manga can sell for double to triple the price it costs in Japan (average manga is $11-$15). So that's a whole lot of money being spent on something that's not really worth keeping.

But, of course, the blame goes to everything else, yet crap quality is never, ever mentioned... ever.

Oh yeah, and the economy.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Less high profile series seem to have been getting less attention lately, due to a mixture of less retail space, and less fan interest.
That depends on how you define "high profile." The mature/alternative niche seems to only be growing here; Viz has pushed their Signature line a lot, and other companies (Vertical, Drawn and Quarterly, Fantagraphics) have also got deeper into the market.

Shonen/Shojo/Ecchie/Moe/Action Series #352879124 may not be a breakout like so many others, but there is growth where it's reasonable and there is an audience that will consistently seek out and buy products.

The_Q wrote:
[There] is always the issue of editing, sometime to the point of massacre (CMX, Viz).
Funny, I made a post about that misconception just a bit ago.

Quote:
And keep in mind that these manga can sell for double to triple the price it costs in Japan (average manga is $11-$15).
If Japan comic market were the same as that in North America, along with the same geographic distribution, then prices would be the same.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

"Seriously, can anyone justify "scanlating" and pirating a series that never needed to be "translated" into English? Now thanks to sales that were less than required to make publishing X-Men Misfits Volume 2 financially feasible, there will be no Volume 2, period. Chew on that for a few, folks."

I've also seen this happen to Del Rey's other OEL series Kasumi where in a "scanlation group" submitted it to MangaFox. The series had to be put in hiatus after Vol.2, despite vol.2 getting a 10000 copy print run due to the success of Vol.1 http://kasumimanga.com/blog/

I remember seeing the graphic novel adaptation of Maximum Ride being scanlated--pretty much means that Twilight, Gossip Girl, and whatever else are heading there, too.

I dislike seeing these practices even more than scanlating a series already licensed. It's in English, it's American-produced, it's readily available in a bookstore or on the Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Amazon online stores. Why do people want to scanlate it and hand it out to people who speak English in the first place? Well, guess there's the mentality of "let's help these people save some money and be heroes". Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Paploo wrote:

I remember seeing the graphic novel adaptation of Maximum Ride being scanlated--pretty much means that Twilight, Gossip Girl, and whatever else are heading there, too.

I dislike seeing these practices even more than scanlating a series already licensed. It's in English, it's American-produced, it's readily available in a bookstore or on the Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Amazon online stores. Why do people want to scanlate it and hand it out to people who speak English in the first place? Well, guess there's the mentality of "let's help these people save some money and be heroes". Rolling Eyes

I highly doubt these are "scanlated". They're just jerks who bought the release, and just scanned it, then posted it on a site. They're the equivalent of the people who just scan regular graphic novels to distribute online. They're plain pirates with no gray area, versus scanlator's whose motives are up for debate.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
That depends on how you define "high profile." The mature/alternative niche seems to only be growing here; Viz has pushed their Signature line a lot, and other companies (Vertical, Drawn and Quarterly, Fantagraphics) have also got deeper into the market.

Shonen/Shojo/Ecchie/Moe/Action Series #352879124 may not be a breakout like so many others, but there is growth where it's reasonable and there is an audience that will consistently seek out and buy products.

Yeah, I'm guessing the higher quality presentation and higher price tag is a part of that- smaller titles can operate successfully with different margins. I also like that VIZ is doing Cross Game as an omnibus style release, and am curious if we'll see lots more obscure titles from them in that style.

I saw your comments an Mania, and yeah, peopel who still think CMX edits manga are missing out on a lot of great totally unedited titles. Their loss I guess.
All the more Emma for me....
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I highly doubt these are "scanlated". They're just jerks who bought the release, and just scanned it, then posted it on a site. They're the equivalent of the people who just scan regular graphic novels to distribute online. They're plain pirates with no gray area, versus scanlator's whose motives are up for debate.

Marvel/DC titles and indy comics get scanned and posted online all the time. It's all serving the same market as scanlations nowadays- most people reading scanlations just want something for free, they aren't looking to discover some hidden obscure manga. Which is why I guess you see OEL works pop up on a lot of these places, and people asking around for scans of them on Yahoo and such. I think a lot of scanlators who think they're doing good by doing what they do should just move on, because a lot of the market they serve isn't interested in supporting the real market at all.

Do something like make a review site, make webcomics, or make a fansite instead. Or just share the translatiosn for friends who've also purchased the manga. Lots of options to fill your time.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Ah, yeah, I used scanlating in the place of "scanned and distributed"; my bad. And I agree--at least a good chunk of scanlators just want to give people a new series, often hoping popularity will lead to a real English release. I've seen many quit series when they've been licensed, particularly series that are the niche of the niche in the manga niche.

Has anyone seen Korean and Japanese series being licensed, officially translated, and then have those translation posted online? I don't see it too much, but I believe it happened with the manhwa Comic. Again, I question, why?!

I think a big problem with English scanlations is that, once they're on the internet, there isn't a way to get them off. If they were just stuck on a scanlation team's website, and the team removed them as the English copies were released/within a set period of time (thus fans get the latest chapters but must buy a book to ever read them again or after a month), then there wouldn't nearly be as big of a problem. However, the aggregator sites (I assume everyone knows the ones) keep this from happening and allow for official translations and American series to be scanned as well. It's also where large sums of "leeches" gather, while separate sites in general don't get a huge build-up of this sort of "fanbase". The aggregators need to be targeted more than the scanlation groups, I think.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree on that- they're the culprits who made it the mainstream while scanlations were moreso underground, and in the past most seemed to stop once it was licensed. It's followed too much in the path of fansubs, where rippedfromdvd episodes are just as common and viewed the same by many people [just look at all the dubs on youtube].

The aggregation sites have to go ASAP [especially the large subscription based ones], so I'm hoping Shueisha will have the legal muscle to take them down.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Damn, that's quite a hit. does this count amerimanga as well? i'm gonna assume it went up a bit, though, considering all the book in the top 10.

It is quite a hit. However, just cause some manga have been featured in the top 10 doesn't mean much. The same for any book or graphic novel. From what I've been told, books that make it on those lists are there because they were nominated by one of the critics of the list. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're on the list cause everyone thinks it should be. It's a common misconception, and one I once fell for.

Quote:
It's probably for the best. Separates the people only into it, 'cus it's "trendy", from the real fans. Though it's a weird contrast with OP making the NYT book list.

I agree. I also think it is for the best. It was getting to be a little too much for awhile there. I too find it odd, but in a good way that One Piece is on the NYT book list. (You did mean One Piece by OP, right?) But, One Piece doesn't have to be on the NYT book list to be good. It's good on it's own. Wink

Quote:
"lack of 'collector mentality' "

do you guys *conceptually understand* that when you shifted from a hobbyist's import-market to a mainstream entertainment market, the very nature of the product shifted?

it *stopped* being the original system, in which obsessed hobbyists hoarded each thing they got. Its casual fans now. But they keep buying and publishing manga at a rate that could only be sustained if EVERY fan was one of the obsessives...which BY DEFINITION were always going to be just a tiny hardcore niche!

They need to drastically reduce the number of titles they're selling: they over-expanded, plain and simple.

It's the comics collector bust of 1993 all over again.

It sounds like you are saying that at one time, anime was just for the niche who liked it, and the industry was doing fine because it catered just to that niche. I think I can see where you are coming from, if that is what you are saying. And yes, they probably should reduce the number of titles. Some anime didn't sell at all, wasting money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6