• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
I'm pretty sure if they do give a back story, it will be a completely stupid reason for her wanting to have that many love toys. As in, "when I was in the first grade, my puppy got run over by a car full of prostitutes and suddenly I wanted to have as much sex as possible".
I know there was a revelation in the tv sjpw "How I met Your Mother" where it was revealed that Barney decided to have 200 sex partners when he was a kid and some other kid said he had 100. Hopefully it is not something as juvenile. Maybe she just read way too much Hentai. Or perhaps she is going for the "Harem ending".

Perhaps she is going for something like 100 at the same time???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think the one hundred thing is part of her fixation on being perfect and desired. It's simply a big number that she feels will help her reach a level of notoriety that she thinks will make her admired more.

She doesn't just want to be an adult, she wants to be the sexiest, most desired woman around.

I get a kick out of how this is the opposite of a standard hentai plot. In hentai you'll have the sweet and innocent girl who meets a guy who shows her that she's really a wild and crazy slut. Here it's the girl that thinks she's a wild and crazy slut but finds she'll be happy with a sweet and innocent guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ep-4. I love this show!

Seriously. It's awesome in every way. This episode definitely revived some of the raunchiness. But I didn't mind it as much this time. Anime hyper

More please?

Also - anyone know similar stuff to this? I know we all pretty much evaluated that it was pretty original. But... just wondering if there's another title similar in the pacing and stuff...

I feel like a dirty old man. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the latest eppie, as well. And there was a moment that just about bowled me over in surprise: it was when Kosuda is about to spoiler[kiss Yamada and he actually stops and goes (basically): wait, do I really want to do this? Do I actually like her? He seems to be questioning why he wants to kiss her beyond that fact that she is hot. Naturally, his teenager hormones quickly re-assert themselves, but I was surprised that the show actually injected a bit of unexpected depth to the emotional calculus being played out.] Well done!
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Also - anyone know similar stuff to this? I know we all pretty much evaluated that it was pretty original. But... just wondering if there's another title similar in the pacing and stuff...

The only other title which I thought was funny when delving into 'sex' was Golden Boy but that is not really a romance anime, but still a good watch, especially dubbed.

I continue to enjoy this show more than I expected to. Though I am interested in the fact that the younger daughter brings home guys, when she is about 12 years old. The only annoying thing about the show is the 'God of Sex' that keeps propping up, I just do not think the character is needed.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
The only annoying thing about the show is the 'God of Sex' that keeps propping up, I just do not think the character is needed.

Yeah, I'd concur with this. Rather than annoying (I doubt I could ever find this show annoying) it's more an inconvenience. I'd have said the god thing represents Yamada's conscience but we already see her Devil/Angel conflict. Meh.

I'm enjoying it so far, it's not amazing but it is maiing me laugh at all the right bits. I may end up getting frustrated if the lack of progress between the two is stretched across the whole series spoiler[but eh, we got a kiss four episodes in. Who knows what'll happen next? Wink]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I enjoyed the latest eppie, as well. And there was a moment that just about bowled me over in surprise: it was when Kosuda is about to spoiler[kiss Yamada and he actually stops and goes (basically): wait, do I really want to do this? Do I actually like her? He seems to be questioning why he wants to kiss her beyond that fact that she is hot. Naturally, his teenager hormones quickly re-assert themselves, but I was surprised that the show actually injected a bit of unexpected depth to the emotional calculus being played out.] Well done!

I know! Right? I was really taken by this. I was like "holy crap! I can't believe they're gonna go with that!" I thought it would be a way for them to spoiler[ "drag"] the series out a bit, but... they didn't spoiler[really do much dragging.] The pacing in this series and the balance between how a real person would act and the extreme personalities that anime characters exhibit is absolutely flawless. I'm genuinely impressed.

12skippy21 wrote:

The only other title which I thought was funny when delving into 'sex' was Golden Boy but that is not really a romance anime, but still a good watch, especially dubbed.

Golden Boy is definitely comparable - and one of my favs Anime smile - but not what I'm looking for. (I, too, love Doug Smith's voice acting!) I started browsing the ANN index based on the tags on the B Gata H Kei page (forgot I could do that when I posted earlier Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ) and I've found a few I'm gonna check out. I'm just trying to stay away from the "harem" titles right now. But ecchi is fair game! Was watching one when I saw an effect that I wanted to add to my Kimi ni Todoke AMV and I've been working on that since.
Embarassed

12skippy21 wrote:
The only annoying thing about the show is the 'God of Sex' that keeps propping up, I just do not think the character is needed.

Agreed.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
spoiler[but eh, we got a kiss four episodes in. Who knows what'll happen next? Wink ]

Tee-hee! That's what I'm like the most!!!! spoiler[They'll prolly end up having sex by like ep 10. Razz I feel like those guys watching them in the park.... Have to keep my camera at a safe distance... ]

Btw, Skippy, I have a hard time typing your name because of the numbers. You should change it so I won't have as much of a hard time. Thanks! Anime smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

More please?

You gotta put up an Anime list, we have no idea what you've already seen.

Girls High shares certain sensibilities with this show. It's a school comedy not a romantic comedy, but it's naughty humor and the attitudes of the girls in that show are a bit similar to Yamada's unrealistic outlook on life. Although, I for one, didn't like it nearly as much as I'm enjoying this show. Crunchyroll has it on their site, I don't think you have to be a member to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks - I'll check that one out while I'm at work (bored) Monday. Also... I didn't realize my anime list wasn't available... hmmm... have to look into that.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

I feel like a useless dirty old man for not liking this show. I mean, all the echi stuff a dirty old man could want is right there, however I completely fail to enjoy the anime. I'm up to episode 4, and am starting to think that it's going to be extremely hard to get through this series unless they move that plot. Or did they? Because to me there doesn't seem to be that much different between episode 1 and 4. Lastly, Yamada is either too young, or too underdeveloped for this dirty old man that lies within my soul. How old is she supposed to be, anyway?
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

I feel like a useless dirty old man for not liking this show. I mean, all the echi stuff a dirty old man could want is right there, however I completely fail to enjoy the anime. I'm up to episode 4, and am starting to think that it's going to be extremely hard to get through this series unless they move that plot. Or did they? Because to me there doesn't seem to be that much different between episode 1 and 4. Lastly, Yamada is either too young, or too underdeveloped for this dirty old man that lies within my soul. How old is she supposed to be, anyway?

LOL

For some reason, I think she's a freshman in high school. To be honest, she could have been in her 20's in college and I still would have felt like a dirty old man watching it.

I'd have to agree with you that the actual plot development feels like it's not going to move faster than the rate of a slug... but, I'm still into it. Normally, I'm the person whining and complaining about pacing and such. It's probably not bothering me because I'm not expecting plot outta the series. I'm just watching it for the humor. Although, I think the plot (the love theme) did definitely progress in ep 4 when he spoiler[actually stopped to think about how he felt about her]. Not sure if that counts or not. It definitely added a bit more depth to his character though - something I was not expecting.

To each his own, right?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
I decided this to just sit back and enjoy this episode, whilst I have just been reserving myself in past episodes. Yes the god of sex thing is anoying, in fact why is it even hanging around this girl when there must be plenty of others. I think the strength is in the fact that the guy is the innocent sheep and the girl the hungry wolf. Actually what I found interesting in this episode was that contrary to many other titles, it was kind of mentioned that her friend has had sex with her boyfriend, had a fairly mature behaviour about it and not a big issue.

If you are looking for simular series, I might say Kanokon, the girl keeps trying or even getting in his pants, much to male's dismay, expect animal ears/tails but if you didn't mind spice wolf. Sumomomo Momomo has the girl continually trying to have his babies, but always skirts around actually useing the word "sex", and is mostly action. And perhaps if you are brave enough to face the contriversial part, perhaps Kodomo no Jikan, most without seeing it consider pure loli vulgarity, though it is actually more deep then that.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Watching the first episode right now, and this forum was that last push it took to get me to try it, so thanks. I'm only in 8 minutes and laughing out loud. As I watch it, American Pie comes to mind. Hope it gets dubbed, but then again, I don't really want my parents hearing, "My goal is to have 100 **** buddies" in English
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
While I would love for this to come to the US, I just don't see that happening...

Like I said in another thread, it would prolly get changed to something like "I wanna have 100 best friends!" or "I wanna have 100 boyfriends!"
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
ok, so, episode 6 was kinda funny.

spoiler[Despite zero progress on the Kosuda x Yamada front, Kanejou looks to be a pretty funny character. Originality is out of the window however, anyone remember Ami from Toradora? Of course, Ami wasn't in love with her brother Wink

Yamada make me chuckle a few times, imagining Kanejou's box to contain a dildo was something only Yamada could come up with... It amazes me how similar her thought processes are to, say, a 15 year old boy Laughing
]

Obligatory love rival? Check! Disfunctional relationship between the two leads? Check! Comic relief in the form of a large supporting cast? Check!

I eagerly anticipate the next episode of B Generic H Kei!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6