• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CEO: Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Do not troll. Make a valid and constructive point or case or don't post.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I can guarantee you that this time next year, Bang Zoom won't be bringing you anymore English language versions of it."

Does anyone know of a place where you can buy pocket-sized violins? that guy really needs one.

They really need to figure out a profit model that does not involve people buying DVDs, because I can't think of any major US tv series that are direct to DVD, so why do they believe that we should sponsor them in their efforts to do that when it hasn't worked for shows like Firefly? Get shows on TV or the Internet, make the money to pay for the shows from there, and sell the DVDs as a bonus for the people that enjoyed it so much that they want a copy for their very own. Don't expect any more than that.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This is just awful, I can't believe this could happen. Bang Zoom is one of the best studios out there and I would hate to see them go. We must increase vitality in the forefront of anime fadome. But sadly I know that there are allot of people out there that don't see the point in buying anime. Will the laziness of the average anime fan be the down fall of the very industry they love? Only time shall tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've to agree with a lot of people posting, that this is disheartening news and that the only way to give any real support to the companies is to purchase DVDs, although honestly I only stuck my nose in here to see how many of the die hard "English dubs are killing anime" or "English dubs are the reason why anime is doing so horribly in the US" fan sub watchers would pop up. most of my collection I've almost always watch the dubs because for me keeping up with subtitles would be very strenuous on my eyes. I agree with GWOtaku on buying subbed DVDs to support the industry but I also agree with em that it would not be my first choice
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Meh, not surprising. I don't see why people want dubs anyway. It takes away from the authenticity and natural flair of the program. Subtitles are the way to go.

Anyway, the delay between releases is the biggest killer for the industry. They first need to compete with fansubs (i.e. 1< day release, $1.99/ep), then shut them down. Only then will anime become more viable.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really bought anything 'new' since emma season 2. i got some older stuff i've wanted to pick up, like trigun and kiddy grade, but mostly the remaining companies aren't picking up or releasing anything i'm remotely interested in. and the few titles that are upcoming, i'm glad to pick up (Junjou Romantica, higashi no eden, and Gintama). I don't have a half a storage unit full of dvds for no reason. Even the stuff streaming on CR isn't on my list of things i'd really like to watch. its disappointing.

seriously lacking in titles interesting to me. Pick them up and i'll gladly fork over my cash. (i still REALLY want shiny disks of Himitsu:The Revelation)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
I'm a little troll.
Short and stout.
Please don't be mean to me.
Or I'm going to pout.

Right, like you honestly would have any clue what anime even was without the industry here.

And to everyone who wants their anime the very second it comes out in Japan (since I've seen like 3 people make their first posts here about that) - Move to Japan. Either that or stop whining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
One more thing to mention: As a dubbing studio, BZ! in all likelihood has no control over licensing or distribution of anime. Companies just pay them to do the dubs, much like they pay someone else to print DVDs.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
And to everyone who wants their anime the very second it comes out in Japan (since I've seen like 3 people make their first posts here about that) - Move to Japan. Either that or stop whining.
Well said Gyt. Anime fans just don't know how good they have it now compared to back when I was buying my VHS tapes in the early 1990s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, please. Please stop producing those dubs so that I can get sub-only DVDs at a cheaper price.

Ever considered that maaaaaaybe people watch fansubs because they aren't interested in a dub? This is silly; Bang Zoom's threatening to stop supplying X because people are too busy consuming Y. Do they really think that those folks who are watching their subbed Japanese audio anime are going to go "Oh no, don't get rid of these English dubs that I never watch! Anything but that!" and comply? Not only is that arrogant, it's also amusingly misguided.

Also consider that nowadays, fans can view anime online completely legally (Crunchyroll, YouTube rentals, official streams), so accusing the fanbase of not enjoying your product because they're a bunch of pirate is not only bad PR, it's also bad logic.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
mikedfd2k wrote:
The entire industry isn't going to fizzle out just the american dub industry. Which personally i coudln't be happier about.

Way to make a first impression.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
"Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support"

So they're going to cease dubbing despite fans supporting that they do cease. Smile (I'm sorry, that's just how I first read it.)

'In a boldfaced statement in the editorial, Sherman wrote that "anime is going to die." '

No, it's just the US import and dubbing industry for anime that would die. Anime is made for the Japanese market. The fact that some people think there's enough interest to build a business around the redistribution of the product really has little to to with the core industry. Anime's success or failure has more to do with it's Japanese market than with any foreign market.

At worst, we'll loose dubs. But not everything has enough interest to be worth dubbing. Some things are best left subbed, and some things may not even have enough of a foreign market to even be worth selling. And maybe it's best if the import industry decides to not try and import everything. The market size they need for many shows may just not exist.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
animechaos wrote:
Don't think these companies realize fans want their anime NOW, not a year+ after the original release in japan

Oh yes they do. I don't think you realize what a chore it is to land these properties.

animechaos wrote:
Anime companies have to change the way they're marketing to the public. Right now they're playing the blame game not realising fans have limited patience.

They have tried to change. It's not working, because the fans' limited patience and lack of economic intelligence aren't helping.

No more English dubs mean no more anime in America.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The ones that pirate will always make excuses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Can't say i'm surprised. I used to be big into anime back in the day but after i graduated from high school i just stopped being interested. I have a hard time finding an Anime that i can get into. The only Anime i ever buy is old 80s and 90s anime that i enjoyed as a Teenager.

The problem with anime is that they have a hard time evolving their stories and all the new stuff i see i a rehash of clichés i've seen in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 59