• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to Rebrand TheCW4Kids Block on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goins007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Same thought on the Toonami/Toonzai thing. I loved Toonami when growing up. Hope this does well. Also, hope they bring back the space ship and the captain robot which announced everything on the block. He was awesome.

Hey, just found something cool out. The voice actor the Toonami robot captain TOM the first version was voiced by the same guy that voices Maes Hughes on FMA and he does Apachai in Keinichi. Wow, I never know that.
You can find the info Here

Not quite. If I can recall and I was a regular toonami watcher , TOM was actually voiced by Stephen Jay Blum who did Spike on Cowboy Bepop and Roger Smith on Big O and Big O II (Which are still showing on Adult Swim after all this time. )

Steven Blum didn't take over until TOM v2. Sonny Strait, the same guy that voiced Krillian on DBZ, did v1.

The History of TOM
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter what you name it 4kids, you have to keep adding shows that kids/people want to watch.

Dragonball Z Kai is a nice first step, but constantly showing reruns of Sonic X and picking up shows like Dinosaur king which is barely marketable does not help.

I say 4kids go after Digimon and other popular franchises so that they can make something of them. I don't understand why they let Yugioh 5D's and Chaotic migrate to Cartoon Network either. If shows from 4kids will go to CN, then 4Kids should be trying to get shows from CN too.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
aw dang it.. the one western licensing company I didn't want to see getting more active..
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
aw dang it.. the one western licensing company I didn't want to see getting more active..
same here, I guess dragon ball z kai will be the first on the "new" chopping block
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
What you guys (by which I mean most "fans" who participate in forums) seem to keep forgetting is that 4Kids has been VERY successful in marketing these shows -- kids shows -- to kids.

And in order to market successfully and sustainably to children, you have to jump through hurdles and make choices that they wouldn't if these shows were airing on CN at midnight. Certain cultural differences, especially regarding comic nudity, on-screen deaths, showing smoking, etc. simply aren't going to get past the censors no matter how much we (or, to be truthful, the 4Kids bosses) would prefer. In the end, the shows are reaching kids and selling toys, and that is the entire point -- not to satisfy a bunch of otaku.

Kids -- the primary target audience, the people who beg their parents to drop money on toys and collectible cards and DVDs, the people the show was actually _made_ for -- still eat this stuff up. And they don't care much about how painstakingly accurate the dubs are, or about what was cut or changed -- they won't until they're teenagers or college kids and think everything needs to be either utterly pure or utterly crap. In truth, ALL art, all entertainment, lies in the huge gray and muddy middle, and owes more to compromises and tough choices than it does to unbending principle. And frankly, the purists never realize their endless bitching is RIGHTFULLY ignored in favor of more pragmatic approaches that still accomplish the end goals.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
I feel like 4Kidz is trying too hard to get popular. Toonzai is such a copy of Toonami. It's kinda sickening really. But, I'm happy that DBZ has another chance to regain its popularity.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Well, if this is how they are going to make it work then I fully support it. But what I'd like to see is a larger variety of shows. Considering how popular anime is in the UK why can't broadcasting be something like that to not only introduce to newer generations. That help bring in some kind of revenue. But I also know how hard it is. As there was a discussion two weeks ago and of course the "other issue" (that I will NOT go into as that's another discussion).

But I wonder how successful this would be in comparison to the now defunct Anime Network. Hmmm...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but is all this bitching really necessary? I think everyone should've realized long ago that Cartoon Network isn't going back to the glory days of 1998. Every single forum for anime I go to is nothing but "anime needs to stay on Cartoon Network and only Cartoon Network!". Why? If anime has the means to get better exposure on another network and bring in a whole new generation of fans with a lineup that was suited to the glory days of Toonami, then let it be so. Yes, I'm aware of Kahn being a part of this network. Yes, I'm aware of his company's handling of One Piece. But, from what I'm seeing, his efforts now to bring more anime to television is what is needed to help introduce anime to a younger generation. Cartoon Network no longer wants diversity and now wants to focus on making sports "relevant" to kids with only a few toyetic based anime shows thrown in.

I think we need to all wait and see how Toonzai will go down before we open up our mouths in disgust.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not sure how I should respond to it, like this?

- Finally 4Kids, you finally got the guts to try to broaden your target audience, and now maybe you'll start being real competitors to FUNimation and Viz Media by releasing dubbed shounen manga more faithful to their original Japanese versions and stop sissifying them.

or like this?

- Look at your lineup? Badly dubbed Sonic X and YuGiOh with DBZ Kai? Listen guys, if you want us to really believe you're trying to be the next toonami, and if you want to avoid skepticism, then I think you should include a few of these in your lineup: Naruto Shippuden, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Wing, Teknoman, they can all be edited down to meet broadcasting standards yet appeal to older people as well as kids.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what? You want 4kids to chop up shows that had to be censored and edited to get on [adult swim], and you think that it'll still appeal to people?
Pandadice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
I'm really not sure how I should respond to it, like this?

- Finally 4Kids, you finally got the guts to try to broaden your target audience, and now maybe you'll start being real competitors to FUNimation and Viz Media by releasing dubbed shounen manga more faithful to their original Japanese versions and stop sissifying them.

or like this?

- Look at your lineup? Badly dubbed Sonic X and YuGiOh with DBZ Kai? Listen guys, if you want us to really believe you're trying to be the next toonami, and if you want to avoid skepticism, then I think you should include a few of these in your lineup: Naruto Shippuden, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Wing, Teknoman, they can all be edited down to meet broadcasting standards yet appeal to older people as well as kids.

FMA and Shippuuden are already claimed. and.. Teknoman...? it's been nearly 2 decades since that came out.. i don't think we'll see that on TV...
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
...are they trying to be Toonami?! Nobody's falling for this garbage, and at least Toonami was a decent pun. Toonzai just sounds stupid. Trying waaay too hard there. If you want to stop failing when it comes to sales, try not chopping up your shows into itty bitty pieces!
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

FMA and Shippuuden are already claimed. and.. Teknoman...? it's been nearly 2 decades since that came out.. i don't think we'll see that on TV...

So what? DBZ Kai was already claimed but they still got it, so go on for Shippuden since the only channel that has it is Disney Anime hyper atm.

Teknoman is still a classic, and who cares how old it is? Do you think kids would tell the difference between what's old and what's new? Ranma 1/2 was about a decade old before it finally got a dub.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dessa wrote:
Wait, what? You want 4kids to chop up shows that had to be censored and edited to get on [adult swim], and you think that it'll still appeal to people?

FMA had next to zero edits on adult swim and besides, who cares about TV edits? EVERYTHING is edited on TV so why complain?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
same here, I guess dragon ball z kai will be the first on the "new" chopping block

Sad but true. Doesn't matter what they name it, this doesn't change the fact that they will likely ruin Dragon Ball Z Kai. Really wish that 4kids would leave the great shows alone and just only butcher kid theme shows.

No matter how one look's at it, Dragon Ball Z isn't a kids show. There is death, violence, swearing and all sorts of theme's that are fitted for kids. While Dragon Ball Z Kai/Dragon Ball Z isn't that violent, the series isn't and will never ever be G rated.

But I don't mean to start an argument , I just want to point out simple facts that should be known.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

So what? DBZ Kai was already claimed but they still got it, so go on for Shippuden since the only channel that has it is Disney Anime hyper atm.

Nicktoons probably didn't work out an "exclusive" broadcasting deal, thats why FUNi is getting it on 4kids as well. While [AS] and DisneyXD (being big networks) probably did work out some kind of "exclusive broadcasting deal", only allowing those shows to be aired on their channel.

But I do agree that getting shows like Gundam and Teknoman back on tv would be freaking awesome! Even if they were edited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3