• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to Rebrand TheCW4Kids Block on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
aw dang it.. the one western licensing company I didn't want to see getting more active..
same here, I guess dragon ball z kai will be the first on the "new" chopping block

Sad but true. Doesn't matter what they name it, this doesn't change the fact that they will likely ruin Dragon Ball Z Kai. Really wish that 4kids would leave the great shows alone and just only butcher kid theme shows.

No matter how one look's at it, Dragon Ball Z isn't a kids show. There is death, violence, swearing and all sorts of theme's that are fitted for kids. While Dragon Ball Z Kai/Dragon Ball Z isn't that violent, the series isn't and will never ever be G rated.

But I don't mean to start an argument , I just want to point out simple facts that should be known.

Not that I support 4Kids, but how do we really know what's gonna happen? I mean they announced a re-branding, let's just wait and see what they do to DBZ Kai, if the cuts are really severe then just wait for the DVDs to come out which will contain everything uncut, if they make the same level of edits like in Naruto Shippuden on Disney Anime hyper then it's not a big deal at all since everything on tv is censored anyway, not just anime. We've wanted 4Kids to either die or do better with dubbing, now this is their chance and guys are still complaining? Just wait and see guys, don't complain just yet.

And goddammit! 'DBZ Kai is an edited version of an older show'? SO WHAT?!! That's not 4Kids' doing it. And anime fans always complain about fillers, and they're gone and guys are frowning at that? Ya know, anime fans can be really stupid

Last edited by darksharingan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I knew DoReMi wouldn't come back without there being a catch!

Quote:
4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful Japanese programming and merchandising to the rest of the world.

Really? I mean, I'm not really upset about this because it's not like their aren't two other outlets to see Kai but..Do you remember One Piece Kahn?
I think they would do well to get shows that don't need to be edited so much in the first place. No angry anime fans and less work. They should stick to magical girl shows and light action shows. Even though they don't get so much attention with Otaku, there are plenty coming out every year in Japan
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:

They should stick to magical girl shows

No, leave my magical girls alone! Mahou shoujo always gets butchered stateside. Cardcaptors and DiC's Sailor Moon are among the most heavily edited TV dubs, and the 4Kids trainwreck that used to be Tokyo MewMew is up there, too.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Although it's still a bit early, so far it looks like the fall lineup is going to be Magical DoReMi reruns, followed by Sonic X repeats, followed by YuGiOh repeats, followed by DB Kai, a re-edit of an older show. I don't mind the shows being aimed at children, but do they have to rely so heavily on reruns? That's no way to attract any viewers and it's not going to help the anime industry if all you support are old properties.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
seeing Dragonball Kai on CW4kids is just weird,I mean the 4kids version of onepiece was bad enough but this is going way too far,this was be even worst than the original Syndication 1996 Saban/Ocean Group/Pioneer dub,back when Saban/Ocean heavilly edited the first 2 seasons before funimation fully took over.
manga1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
O here we go again with the edits, dragon ball was ment to be kind of violent just dont dumb it down.

and its it toon zai, or is it toonz ai which is a pun on ai which is one of the ways to say love in japanese also shikde, and ashitayu from what I learned

so if they intend it to be toonz ai then it would be a play on an actual japanese word

signed Jeremy manga1
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Although it's still a bit early, so far it looks like the fall lineup is going to be Magical DoReMi reruns, followed by Sonic X repeats, followed by YuGiOh repeats, followed by DB Kai, a re-edit of an older show. I don't mind the shows being aimed at children, but do they have to rely so heavily on reruns? That's no way to attract any viewers and it's not going to help the anime industry if all you support are old properties.

They're showing that plus Tai Chi Chasers and a
Quote:
"very important Japanese property." Kahn also said that his company updating TheCW4Kids block with a number of "substantial Japanese hits.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
...are they trying to be Toonami?! Nobody's falling for this garbage, and at least Toonami was a decent pun. Toonzai just sounds stupid. Trying waaay too hard there. If you want to stop failing when it comes to sales, try not chopping up your shows into itty bitty pieces!

unfortunately that's never gonna happen alongs that the FCC runs things . though i do blame them for giving dub a bad rep , it's not their fault cause they do have to aboide with FCC guidelines or else face the wrath of parental advocates. however chopping good series into oblivion is no excuse. Unfortunately they'll still do it no matter how much we plea. Good for fansubbers thta have floooded fansub eps of yugioh 5ds on veoh, bad for the industry , especially have hearing the news with bang zoom ent.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:

They should stick to magical girl shows

No, leave my magical girls alone! Mahou shoujo always gets butchered stateside. Cardcaptors and DiC's Sailor Moon are among the most heavily edited TV dubs, and the 4Kids trainwreck that used to be Tokyo MewMew is up there, too.

Too late though. However Ojamajo LimePie i agree and disagree about yur take on the magical girl genere. It's true that CCS was massively edited and Nelvana had hell for it. I of all people was pissed off about that, However DIC's edit of SM are justified cause when it came out in the early 90's on USA's action ectreme team block, anime in general was still a test for the US broadcast. Also though they were edited I enjoyed them a lot and DIC's version of SM got me into anime in the first place. Same with a lot of younger girls here in the US during the 90's.

though I also do not agree with 4kids having and heavily editing magical girl series like Doreimi and Tokyo Mew Mew,at least it will attract younger audiece especially young girls into anime like what DIC's version of SM did for me.

Besides, We should be thankful that 4 crap kids will NEVER EVER touch otaku based magical girl series like Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha as well as Magical Girl Preety Sammy / Magical Project S. Thanks god for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
What you guys (by which I mean most "fans" who participate in forums) seem to keep forgetting is that 4Kids has been VERY successful in marketing these shows -- kids shows -- to kids.

And in order to market successfully and sustainably to children, you have to jump through hurdles and make choices that they wouldn't if these shows were airing on CN at midnight. Certain cultural differences, especially regarding comic nudity, on-screen deaths, showing smoking, etc. simply aren't going to get past the censors no matter how much we (or, to be truthful, the 4Kids bosses) would prefer. In the end, the shows are reaching kids and selling toys, and that is the entire point -- not to satisfy a bunch of otaku.

Kids -- the primary target audience, the people who beg their parents to drop money on toys and collectible cards and DVDs, the people the show was actually _made_ for -- still eat this stuff up. And they don't care much about how painstakingly accurate the dubs are, or about what was cut or changed -- they won't until they're teenagers or college kids and think everything needs to be either utterly pure or utterly crap. In truth, ALL art, all entertainment, lies in the huge gray and muddy middle, and owes more to compromises and tough choices than it does to unbending principle. And frankly, the purists never realize their endless bitching is RIGHTFULLY ignored in favor of more pragmatic approaches that still accomplish the end goals.

Then Perhaps they should try to bring over actual kid shows, of which there are many. Or in any case- ones that are child friendly. Stuff like Pokemon. They cut out a few innuendos here or there, and change riceballs into sandwiches, but they dont need much changing. (I think? I never looked into Pokemons edits)
They should focus on that stuff rather than more mature shows that are by NO means meant for kids, but for a more teenage audience. Yknow, like, Yugioh or One piece. Those are NOT meant for the demographic 4Kids tries to sell them to. Yugioh specifically is pretty heavy on death. Pretty much every "shadow realm" banishment was a death scene. Lets not forget Marik stabbing his father with a dagger hidden in that rod of his.

In any case, i saw that and thought. Huh? whats... DBZ doing on a 4kids channel..? I actually had to check to make sure that Kai was still Funi before scratching my head a bit. "huuuuh?" Anime dazed
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
[

Then Perhaps they should try to bring over actual kid shows, of which there are many. Or in any case- ones that are child friendly. Stuff like Pokemon. They cut out a few innuendos here or there, and change riceballs into sandwiches, but they don't need much changing. (I think? I never looked into Pokemons edits)
They should focus on that stuff rather than more mature shows that are by NO means meant for kids, but for a more teenage audience. Yknow, like, Yugioh or One piece. Those are NOT meant for the demographic 4Kids tries to sell them to. Yugioh specifically is pretty heavy on death. Pretty much every "shadow realm" banishment was a death scene. Lets not forget Marik stabbing his father with a dagger hidden in that rod of his.

In any case, i saw that and thought. Huh? whats... DBZ doing on a 4kids channel..? I actually had to check to make sure that Kai was still Funi before scratching my head a bit. "huuuuh?" Anime dazed

that what I have been saying. I also saw those pokemon edits though some were 50/50 . in 'School of Hard Knocks" they edit alochol for spring water and coffee for prun juice. Though season 1 edits were definately necessary cause i heard team rocket said some mild intuendos in the original scritpt which is a no-no to Western Viewership. then theres the multiple gun shots in there. And those banned epsiodes were definately necessary. Could you imagine the uproar if parents saw them???

though they werent as many edits in the Hoen Saga and they included riceballs in that season. But never the less, I agree with you completely . 4kids is better off doing kids only anime and to leave the teen based anime to better companies like Viz Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
^ Not sure if the FCC really has a say here since it's (paid) cable. But i's just as you said though, with all the parental groups and whatnot breathing down their necks.

The problem is that what is '4Kids' in Japan translates into what's '4Adults' in the US, since many popular shows aimed and younger folks also have a very large demographic. Meaning, junior high (aka middle school in Japan) to adults. Even capping out the age group, they're still going to edit the cultural differences. However limiting the imported shows to literally kindergarten, pre-school-friendly age group--which is the only way for 4kids to air unedited--would mostly defeat their purpose since the viewers they're targeting here don't actually want that.

I think if they really wanted to show the unedited versions like other channels, they can spin off another channel or programming block (perhaps a parental discretion label or something)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
^ Not sure if the FCC really has a say here since it's (paid) cable. But i's just as you said though, with all the parental groups and whatnot breathing down their necks.

The problem is that what is '4Kids' in Japan translates into what's '4Adults' in the US, since many popular shows aimed and younger folks also have a very large demographic. Meaning, junior high (aka middle school in Japan) to adults. Even capping out the age group, they're still going to edit the cultural differences. However limiting the imported shows to literally kindergarten, pre-school-friendly age group--which is the only way for 4kids to air unedited--would mostly defeat their purpose since the viewers they're targeting here don't actually want that.

I think if they really wanted to show the unedited versions like other channels, they can spin off another channel or programming block (perhaps a parental discretion label or something)

Unfortunately only CN will ever do that. They did that during ep 140 of Naruto. Then there's also the fact that anime in the 90's had a bad rep with parental groups and other ediots in the US thanks to great & extremely violent series like Guyver,Mad Bull 34, Akira and especially Ninja Scroll. those days people dubbed all anime as "adults only.

"which was why some anime series on TV like Saint Seiya and SM and which were both dubbed by DIC got massivley hacked when they were showed on TV. Even Maccross faced that same fate as well in the 80's.

My point is that alongs that there's a dvide between Japan and US viewers on what content is suitable, and alongs as there's stupid ediots like FCC with strict R&R , they'll always be massive edits. Cause if they didn't had them , 4kids probably would not have existed.
siradix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sonic X, Yu-Gi-Oh, and DBZ Kai? Way to play it safe and just air shows that have proven to be popular in the past. Don't shoot yourself in the foot now 4Kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3