• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GARlock

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Badass. The more art I see for this show, the more I'm liking it.
mufurc wrote:
And this has to do with 1900s Britain... what exactly?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that's a separate project.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I really can't wait for this (CR, be a dear and snatch this up kay?)

Anyone else notice the GIR expy next to Garterbelt?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person that thinks the art looks more like 2 Stupid Dogs than Powerpuff Girls?

Either way it looks wicked. Hope it turns out to be good and Funi grabs it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Am I the only person that thinks the art looks more like 2 Stupid Dogs than Powerpuff Girls?
Well isn't that cute... but it's wrong!

All I can say about the scanned artwork is that... it looks different. Time will tell if the series will be any good.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
And this has to do with 1900s Britain... what exactly?

Also, is it just me or are they really trying too hard?

You do know Imaishi made Dead Leaves, right? This is pretty much the exact same thing.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun May 09, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
here's a somewhat translated version of the comic.

wow... Laughing

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8711/pansutoscanlated.jpg
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
The art style and the translated statement that it's a "parade of sex, violence and dirty humor" actually give me hope for this series. So much anime art looks so similar (of course there is a lot of variation, but at least 90% of anime sticks pretty closely to the stereotypical style) that it's great to see something that looks so different. (In before Yamaishi's previous work is brought up.) Sure, it is rather Powerpuffy, but (at least seemingly) more detailed and dynamic.

My guess is that this show will be to Powerpuff Girls what Ebichu was to Hamtaro. And if that's the case, I'm all for it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this series. It's something different and has a lot of potential.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The characters may be stylized in a PPG-ish way (though clearly Imaishi) and the story might be more adult than its looks suggest, but the girls look more mature than loli, which makes the concept less wary than from the outset. Probably is best to see everything in action, but the show looks pretty fun and promising thus far.

[P.S.: Gotta love Panty's straightforwardness. At least that knocks down an episode or two of exposition. Razz ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
The art style and the translated statement that it's a "parade of sex, violence and dirty humor"

Good fit for Adult Swim comedy then. Laughing
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it even sounds like the title of an Adult Swim comedy! Laughing
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
All I know is this looks pretty epic.

Even if its art style crushes my memories of power puff girls.

like people have said, this looks like something people watching AS would eat up for a t.v broadcast if ever dubbed.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
It sounds hilarious! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Zipper wrote:
Gunbuster. Fanservice? Sure, but it was a work with a lot of heart and was unique at the time. Consider it the Gurren Lagann of the 80s.
But Gunbuster actually contained content not previously seen in earlier mecha anime. It had its share of borderline-plagiaristic pastiches (Aim for the Ace, Space Runaway Ideon), but it actually did new things, primarily with relativity. Gurren Lagann was nothing but pastiches, throwbacks and parodies. It certainly was fun, though. I guess you could consider it the anime series equivalent of Avatar: same everything you've seen before, but with much better animation.

Please tell me you're not serious.
Whoops, completely missed this response.

Actually, I thought Gurren Lagann was somewhat progressive when I first watched it, but a friend who is intimately familiar with way more mecha anime than an American should be convinced me otherwise. I've gone back and watched/read several of the anime/manga TTGL took its influence from, and it actually ended up bothering me a bit that a lot of what I liked about it was outright stolen. I can see that the Japanese audience would probably recognize all the homages, but most of the references are to things hardly any Occidental anime fan would recognize (Invincible Superman Zambot 3 is a big one), so there are a lot of Occidental fans who don't realize TTGL is just a bigger version of countless other things.

Like when people talk about how Gurren Lagann is the most awesome robot ever because it "COMBINED WITH THE F***ING MOON!" and got really big, they probably don't realize that the Getter Robo manga (the very first giant transforming/combining robot series) had a robot combine with Mars, grow to the size of a galaxy, and punch out God. "Spiral power" is practically identical to the concept of Getter rays, the zoom out in the opening scene is from Captain Harlock (this is the most widely recognized example outside of Japan), one of the space battles is taken pretty much directly from Gunbuster (the one Gunbuster stole from Ideon, but Gurren Lagann seemed to be copying the Gunbuster version-- with added references to drills in the dialogue, of course) as was Gurren Lagann's "trademark" pose. The television ending up to the galaxy-throwing fight is largely copied from Zambot 3, as was Gurren Lagann's moon insignia. I have more examples but hopefully they aren't necessary.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Zipper wrote:
Gunbuster. Fanservice? Sure, but it was a work with a lot of heart and was unique at the time. Consider it the Gurren Lagann of the 80s.
But Gunbuster actually contained content not previously seen in earlier mecha anime. It had its share of borderline-plagiaristic pastiches (Aim for the Ace, Space Runaway Ideon), but it actually did new things, primarily with relativity. Gurren Lagann was nothing but pastiches, throwbacks and parodies. It certainly was fun, though. I guess you could consider it the anime series equivalent of Avatar: same everything you've seen before, but with much better animation.

Please tell me you're not serious.
Whoops, completely missed this response.

Actually, I thought Gurren Lagann was somewhat progressive when I first watched it, but a friend who is intimately familiar with way more mecha anime than an American should be convinced me otherwise. I've gone back and watched/read several of the anime/manga TTGL took its influence from, and it actually ended up bothering me a bit that a lot of what I liked about it was outright stolen. I can see that the Japanese audience would probably recognize all the homages, but most of the references are to things hardly any Occidental anime fan would recognize (Invincible Superman Zambot 3 is a big one), so there are a lot of Occidental fans who don't realize TTGL is just a bigger version of countless other things.

So, you're saying it's Quentin Tarantino. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10