• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope these are code names or something and not their real names. Otherwise I feel like someone is dipping into the "Rumiko Takahashi School of Ranma 1/2 Naming Conventions". That isn't always a bad thing, but it doesn't work in just any show.

I can take fanservice shows just fine, but titles like that try much too hard to be otaku bait which is an instant turn-off

I bet there are cat ears involved.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, I love how everyone's losing it over the names and incredibly generic sounding brief description. I hope the show turns out to be amazing.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
First a show about kindergarten... Now this.... Rawr, the producers of some of the best anime ever ("Evangelion", "Gunbuster", "Otaku no Video"), as well as some of my personal faves ("Mahoromatic", "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World", "FLCL") have been kind of disappointing me lately. However, as many above posts state, there's the distinct possibility that Gainax could take this concept and run with it, morphing it into something incredible.

OR they could take it the route of some of their lesser works ("He is my Master", anybody?), and morph it into fan service-oriented moe dreck. I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see. Confused
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
PANTY?!? Oh no! Now that I know the premise, I am soooo NOT watching this! Shocked Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
....OR they could take it the route of some of their lesser works ("He is my Master", anybody?), and morph it into fan service-oriented moe dreck. I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see. Confused
Moehogs still need feeding.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann is the best anime ever, so this will surely be awesome.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what's sillier, the title or the actual description of the show.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote

God help us all.

bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Guys, chillax. Has no one ever seen an anime by Imaishi??? If nothing else, we know for a fact that the animation is gonna be awesome. And even if it's gonna be fanservice-y, the series will be probably be too over-the-top to be aroused/offended by it. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
First a show about kindergarten... Now this....

There was nothing wrong with Hanamaru at all. It was charming and delightful

KoujiTamino wrote:
Ha ha, I love how everyone's losing it over the names and incredibly generic sounding brief description. I hope the show turns out to be amazing.

I know right? Look at this staff. Nothing about this seems bad except the title.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh Gainax, you have made some exceptional and less exceptional shows. But seriously, there is no way I'll be watching this.

Teen idols fighting crime has been so over done, there hardly is any originality anymore. What happened to the glorious days licensing intelligent shows such as neon genesis evangelion and other more intelligent shows?

This is very, very saddening news to see such a great company reduced to this.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann was one of my favorite anime of all time. If they can even come close to that with their next anime, they'll have suceeded in my book.

Sure, I'd rather have something more along the lines of FLCL, and it does seem a little too samey and conventional, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I see a few episodes.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I am definitely going to check this one out, just to see what direction they run with it. If anyone can pull off a title with such a perverse name, Gainax can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like it could be awesome. I can't wait until pictures of the character designs and stuff come out. That cropped scan of the magazine page is so cruelly tantalizing.

Somehow, the premise reminds me a lot of the manga "Tetragrammaton Labyrinth" by Ei Itou...supernatual goth-loli girls fighting demons in old-fashioned England, and all.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
wow. This title and description makes it sound like something that I wouldn't have in my collection even if it was free. Guess I'll just forget about it and spend my future money on something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10