• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess some people are forgetting that the term "Gainax Bounce" did not come from nowhere....
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
We'll see how this turns out. Mainline Gainax shows always play on the tropes while completely turning them on their heads (see, Eva, Gurren Lagann, etc).

The talent behind it leaves me a little hopeful, at least. For every great show (Eva, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, etc) there are a few mis-steps/safety shows (This Ugly and Beautiful World, Shikabane Hime).
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
The interview was really easy to find a few years ago but now I can't find it anywhere. That's really unsettling. Since I'm unable to provide a source, disregard my statement if you wish. Note that everything after the word "so" is conjecture on my part, which is why I included the word "probably".

Is this it?
Yes, that's it. Thank you. Though in larger context, I see Mahoromatic's profit has to do with Gainax's internal structure and not with what they were producing.

The only way I can see this show being any good is if it's an outright satire of the anime industry's current trends. And a harsh satire at that, because affectionate satire in anime too often becomes indistinguishable from that which it's lampooning.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This'll either be really epic, or really horrible. Or somewhere inbetween. Gainax knows where the money is I guess? I wonder what happened to that shojo manga anime they'd announced.....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
If this is going to be a piss take of the otaku, it's got a lot to live up to if it's to come anywhere near "Welcome to The NHK". Wink
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Plent of people complaining that it's not FLCL.
It's a show by Imaishi and Otsuka about angels battling ghosts. What more do you want?!
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The premise isn't original, sure.

But neither was the premise for their amazing series like Evangelion or Gurren Lagann.

So, yeah. I think this is going to be amazing. An over the top, stylized, action-packed, satire of current anime trends.

I honestly don't see a way how this can turn out as more moe crap targeted at hardcore otaku.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if troll.

The title suggests it's one of their fan service shows meant for making money in-between their real series they like to do.

But the part about ghosts might lead to Gainax mind fuckery, so I dunno. Could go either way.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a terrible concept, but I have faith in Gainax's ability to make even a terrible sounding concept into a wonderful execution. That said, I'll keep my eye on this.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hey, maybe the name will sound better in Japanese?
:very level look:

c'mon people, where's the faith? "I won't be watching this because {_____} is in the name." eh?

Think about this. Some of our favorite people are working on a Project. They could fly high or fail spectacularly, but we won't know that until later, what's the anticipation going to be? But they are keeping the lights on, and their families fed, and who knows how it'll run.

Do you remember something amusingly fanservicey which towards the end suddenly and violently cuts out your heart, and then hands it back to you in a jeweled box and tells you it's a memory of spring?

Will it be something that makes you watch a fairly normal ep. where you end up staring at the TV and screaming "they DID NOT just do that!?!"

Have a little faith that you are going to get run over by a chick on a yellow vespa, and then see how it goes...

and? garterbelts might be the things that connect pantsu and stockings, yeah?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
It sounds like a terrible concept, but I have faith in Gainax's ability to make even a terrible sounding concept into a wonderful execution. That said, I'll keep my eye on this.

I'm going to raise "it sounds" to "it is" in the bad idea department at least on an international level. For me personally don't mind the setting (1900's Ghost Hunting, Close enough to the Masque of the Red Death Ravenloft supplement I've been looking to pick up.) And really having female leads no big deal, it's been done before (Chrno Crusade, granted U.S. but still same rough time frame given for this series, 1900 to 1930's) it's the characters name's, they 1.) leave little to the imagination what this series will be, but more importantly 2.) have effectively killed the suspension of disbelief that this series is set in the 1900's U.K., I mean seriously that is their names? They couldn't find any other name, or an English name generator, but I guess that really wasn't their intention to appeal to a wider market. Sigh....
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Lol. I really must say this show sounds absolutely awful. Bad name, bad premise. Some will wave the flags of previous Gainax works as a beacon of hope, but what you people don't get is that even the most talented people on the planet are capable of producing crap works. From Spielberg and Lucas, to Mamoru Oshi, and yes even those at Gainax. I'll be passing on this.

The setting is a lame excuse to hide another fetishy show. Being from the U.K, it doesn't take rocket science to figure those names are big fetish flags, let alone anyone of that time every using such crap. Try doing some bloody research into english names.

Sorry Gainax, repackaging Eva recently was one high-low point, that kindergarden crap (because its so cute, and to some a possible dose of disturbing fetishy stuff), but this new show is diving depths of pandering awfulness, that makes me fear for their future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'm all about this, but I'm a little burnt out on the sexy for the sake of sexy, plus I'm pretty by "teen" they mean little girls.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Plent of people complaining that it's not FLCL.
It's a show by Imaishi and Otsuka about angels battling ghosts. What more do you want?!

Characters not named Panty and Stocking.

I'm reserving my final judgment until I've seen the first episode or at least a PV, but honestly, there are some big red flags here. As other people have noted, Gainax can be very hit and miss. No where near Gonzo level, but bad enough that I won't blindly jump on board with every new production.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This is why I love Gainax. The prudes of the fandom always speak out when something as minor as a title gets them hot and bothered.

Hilarious. Check out all of Gainax's past (including all of their PC games) and you would get a clue that they are right back on track.

Supportin ya all the way Gainax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10