• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn's Alpha Combat Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that this is getting a Spot on ANN... I am so glad this game is getting a lot of positive feedback from the public that has not played this game even though it had a bad launch 2 years ago...

I hope you all join us when the game is launched sometime next year....

It is rumored however that the Launch date might not be till June... But it return.... Yoshi-P said that they will launch the game when WE (The players) say it is ready other then going off of a schedule and releasing it un-finished.

Once again - I hope all you MMORPG Players out there give it a Shot...

OHHH And 1 more thing... If people don't know this..... If you have already bought the game for PC and have already used a registration code for the 1.0 game and have left... You don't need to buy the new version... You will be able to obtain the new version for free...

However if you want to play on PS3... You MUST buy the PS3 version and its registration code... otherwise you will not be able to play on the PS3 if you want to use your already made character and account.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Yep, looks like an MMO alright.

Loved FFXI... but it's admittedly dated at this point, so I'll definitely try this out. I always love Asian MMO aesthetics. FFXI was beautiful and this looks great too.
billk1928

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
2 years before they finally pulled that piece of junk off and started revamping? And they actually want us to waste time playtesting a revision...

I tried the video and it stuttered repeatedly. If I was online in the game and that happened during combat, my toon would quickly end up dead. No thank you.

FF XI was a boring disappointment, and FF XIV was just awful. Please stop with the incredibly bad MMOs, Squenix!
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this video and a lot of the other screens/videos coming out of the Alpha.

Though the UI seems to look a tad too "futuristic" for the game's overall setting, it certainly looks a lot more attractive than the original game's did. The maps and other environment-oriented stuff seems to posses a level of detail that the original was also in desperate need of.

Overall, seeing videos such as this one gives me the feeling that FFXIV 2.0 is going to finally have the "it factor" that FFXI had & FFXIV 1.0 lacked - whether or not the entire 2.0 game sticks with the promising images coming from the Alpha still remains to be seen though.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Really looking foward to 2.0, LEGACY BEHBEH~ Wink
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:
I tried the video and it stuttered repeatedly. If I was online in the game and that happened during combat, my toon would quickly end up dead. No thank you.

Have you considered investing in a computer that isn't terrible? Laughing That video ran smoothly for me.
Jinxey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I honestly Love the faster gameplay and to think it will go slightly faster when the 2 move combo is unlocked at 10 and the next one at 40. I am looking forward to being a male kitty, while I played quite a lot of FFXI.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:
2 years before they finally pulled that piece of junk off and started revamping? And they actually want us to waste time playtesting a revision...

FF XI was a boring disappointment, and FF XIV was just awful. Please stop with the incredibly bad MMOs, Squenix!

IDK what you getting or why you getting stutters but I never saw a stutter in the video at all... I think you must be having some lag issues on your PC because This is not happening to us...

ALSO YOU HAVE TO NOTE THAT THIS IS ALPHA!!!!!!!! NOT LAUNCH... SO people dissing the game from these liittle things even though it is in Alpha need to stop because all it is doing is making yourself look dumb...

No Offense.
Allester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:

Naoki Yoshida (the current producer) was working on the game since December 2010; 3 months after the game's release. That means it wasn't "2 years before they finally pulled that piece of junk off and started revamping"; they started working on re-doing the dynamics of version 1.xx and building the story up to where it's at now since--according to YoshiP, the first month he walked into the studio. So for just about 2 years, now, they were constantly updating version 1.xx while developing a completely new game altogether--this game is not running on the unfinished Crystal Tools engine.

Your view on the matter is haphazard at best.

As far as the story goes, by the by, he also said the first thing they had to decide when he started in that first month was how to end the game. And they decided to do it with Bahamut. Essentially, the Garleans move deep into Eorzea; Legatus of the VIIth Legion, Nael van Darnus--descendant of the ancient people that trapped Bahamut in Dalamud-- becomes a fanatic and draws Dalamud back to Hydaelyn. The adventurers, and leaders of the three Nations try everything in their power to stop the descent--from breaking the controller in the Garlean stronghold, Castrum Novum, to killing van Darnus at the Rivenroad, to amassing prayers at the sites of the seals of the Divines. Nothing works; the adventurers are flung forward in time by Louisoix (probably the most important character in the game), and Eorzea is (mostly) razed by Bahamut.

All story elements took place over a period of several months before servers finally went out.

billk1928 wrote:

Your computer is on the ropes with a video? I don't think you need to worry about running the game at that point.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Allester wrote:
billk1928 wrote:

Naoki Yoshida (the current producer) was working on the game since December 2010; 3 months after the game's release. That means it wasn't "2 years before they finally pulled that piece of junk off and started revamping"; they started working on re-doing the dynamics of version 1.xx and building the story up to where it's at now since--according to YoshiP, the first month he walked into the studio. So for just about 2 years, now, they were constantly updating version 1.xx while developing a completely new game altogether--this game is not running on the unfinished Crystal Tools engine.

Your view on the matter is haphazard at best.

As far as the story goes, by the by, he also said the first thing they had to decide when he started in that first month was how to end the game. And they decided to do it with Bahamut. Essentially, the Garleans move deep into Eorzea; Legatus of the VIIth Legion, Nael van Darnus--descendant of the ancient people that trapped Bahamut in Dalamud-- becomes a fanatic and draws Dalamud back to Hydaelyn. The adventurers, and leaders of the three Nations try everything in their power to stop the descent--from breaking the controller in the Garlean stronghold, Castrum Novum, to killing van Darnus at the Rivenroad, to amassing prayers at the sites of the seals of the Divines. Nothing works; the adventurers are flung forward in time by Louisoix (probably the most important character in the game), and Eorzea is (mostly) razed by Bahamut.

All story elements took place over a period of several months before servers finally went out.

billk1928 wrote:

Your computer is on the ropes with a video? I don't think you need to worry about running the game at that point.

HAHA Way to be Fernehalwes there... Yes this is all true... And the story they made to bring us to where we are at now is FANTASTIC... And judging by the community, no one was expecting Bahamut... But as soon as I saw the End of the Era Trailer.... Dang... It made a lot of since to on stuff like the Van Darnus Battle to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1